Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,133 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Is Nollywood Racist? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is Nollywood Racist? (5879 Views)

Poll: Is Nollywood racist i.e. biased against white people?

Yes, it is.: 26% (6 votes)
No/irrelevant: 73% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nollywood Racist? by ElodyAnn(m): 4:23pm On May 06, 2007
Why are there no white actors in Nigeria? Why go to another country and complain about lack of opportunities there then disallow people from other races from acting in your films? Why are all the actors Nigerian?
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Agboola1(m): 4:50pm On May 06, 2007
how many home videos have you watched to assume they are all blacks or which foreigner was barred from acting? post your fact and lets treat it. im not a home video freak but i know your claim is not accurate
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Rodent: 4:58pm On May 06, 2007
If you dont watch the movies then how do you know for a fact that the allegation is false?
I'm sorry but i dont think i've ever seen an 'oyibo' in a nollywood film that was wholey shot in NG.
I stand corrected if this is not the case, however on the other hand its kind of odd thinking wot role a caucassian wld play in a typical witchcraft laden movie.
Woteva the reason for the lack of foreigners it sure aint racism though
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Aniomaman(m): 5:00pm On May 06, 2007
What you should be asking is if Nollywood can afford foreign playas in the game, racist definitely is a wrong word when it comes to this, na wa abi u just wan paste topic for here tongue shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by my2cents(m): 5:12pm On May 06, 2007
tribalist? maybe but definitely not racist. Check the defintion of racism before you raise such allegations.

It all boils down to money. When you say "white", do you mean any oyibo on the road or quality actors/actresses? With pple like Julia Roberts, say, earning $20million per flick, do you think nollywood could afford her? I have watched a lot of movies and will say that I have seen Americans, british and asians in a few, so cut nollywood some slack tongue

Playing devil's advocate though, so what if nollywood is racist? We are discrimated against all the time, on their home turf for that matter. So why can't we retaliate on our own home turf? At least that way, we will earn respect as pple who have our own industry as opposed to doing anything to be a part of theirs.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by sisimose(f): 5:14pm On May 06, 2007
what a strange and topic lol. grin grin grin

yes if you say nollywood is racist then fine. abeg there are too many jobless people in naija anyways, they need the job more . i think this is so funny, it's ;like asking why there are so many french people in france

Godbless naija
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by sisimose(f): 5:15pm On May 06, 2007
and i have never seen a black man in a bollywood movie lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo. poor us, only naijas are 419, racist, tribalists, na wa grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by WesleyanA(f): 5:17pm On May 06, 2007
nollywood most definitely isn't racist.
Nigeria is 95-99% black and the consumers of nollywood movies are also black (africans at home and abroad).

we really don't need whites in our home videos. even though it might not hurt to have 1 or 2. it's not like they watch our movies or anything.
have you seen osofia in london? that movie has whites in it. lol

give 5 solid reasons to convince me that there should me whites in nollywood.

like sisimose said, there are no blacks in bollywood because bollywood is indian. there aren't whites in nollywood either because nollywood is nigerian. lol

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by pmdaboh(f): 7:03pm On May 06, 2007
[b]I am an African American woman, and I married a Nigerian man in Apapa, Lagos, Nigeria on January 4, 2007. He and my stepson have just been approved through Immigration, and I am waiting for them to come (prayerfully in June). Now when I returned to the states, I have ordered Nigerian movies on a regular basis. I just assumed since Nigeria is predominately black that was the reason I never saw another ethnic culture in a movie. But then I have not watched all the movies out there, so I do not know if not allowing other cultures to star in a movie is intentional or not.

However, here are my thoughts about Nollywood (which I find the name a little funny since we have Hollywood in the states).

I enjoy the movies, but they are definitely different from ours. Our movies have modern special effects, which are very much lacking from the Nollywood movies. I would compare the quality of Nollywood movies to that of a few of our "home-grown" movies, which means a few people have broke into the profession by picking up a camera and shooting it raw without the thousands of dollars investment for special effects, stunt doubles, etc.

The acting is different too, for many of the actors and actress over exaggerate their lines. There are a few actors and actress that I have seen that seem natural when they are acting, and I really enjoy the believability of how they portray the charactger. I am not criticizing them, but the acting seems somewhat "over the top" with gestures, emotions, and exaggerated lines and actions.

Nollywood has much ground to catch up in reference to special effects, and toned down acting, but I really love watching them, for they are different. . .I thought perhaps the way many of the actors and actresses overstress most lines is just a part of their culture when they talk and interact with one another.

Nollywood is very far behind in reference to modern societies, but to say they do not have the financial resouces that we have, they do produce interesting story lines . . . smiley
[/b]
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by myssfyne(f): 9:07pm On May 06, 2007
You dont see foreign actors in our movies because all nollywood ever acts is how we think as Nigerians.I dont see a white man coming to act a witchcraft movie or iya basira or babalawo!!!!!
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Rottweiler(m): 9:34pm On May 06, 2007
Elody-Ann:

Why are there no white actors in Nigeria? Why go to another country and complain about lack of opportunities there then disallow people from other races from acting in your films? Why are all the actors Nigerian?

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do we have white Nigerians in the first place? Despite that, for your information, I have seen some whites acting roles in Naija home videos. If you haven't seen any, it only means you have watched only a FEW. A lot of home videos have been shot in Europe and US and obviously whites are part of the actors/actresses. So take your time and be objective in your criticism of Nigeria, OK?
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by temmyabby(f): 11:47pm On May 06, 2007
na wah oh angry, aw many white people u don c dey waka the streets of lagos, or u know person dey reject? don't think so grin.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by awoof(m): 1:47am On May 07, 2007
well i have watched quite a few that have what we can call whites, but i strongly beleive those few i have seen are actually Lebanese grin grin well, must nollywood force whites to take part in their films to make them acceptable? come off it. most of the so called hollywood films are racist because in many cases blacks are given roles of criminals and some other condemnable roles. leave nollywood alone we started from travelling theatre, we grew to making home videos and insha allah we shall grow to shooting films on celluloid and if possible have those stunts(not very necessary). and to you these jet age generation of Nigerians that only see what happens in their own country as worse than those from hell cry you better wise up. how many americans or britons have acted in indian or chinese films? you all unpatriotic finger licking brats angry angry before i sign off check it out nolywood is very popular all over africa and i heard it is spreading to carebean islands so america and europe can go to cheesy hell
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by morpheus24: 4:45am On May 07, 2007
Please see this preview on you tube starring desmond elliot. I see a lot of White people in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fizc3w9B8LE
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by BlackMamba(m): 4:46am On May 07, 2007
What a stupid stupid nonsense this is. Nigerian movies and racism? Or do you mean tribalism? I never knew white folks are clamoring to be cast in Nigerian movies.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by awoof(m): 4:52am On May 07, 2007
morpheus24:

Please see this preview on you tube starring desmond elliot. I see a lot of White people in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fizc3w9B8LE
sorry i cant watch it 'cause my organisation has filtered almost all entertainment sites and no private internet provider here. but i agree with you intoto wink i had sent my post before i remembered that even some yoruba films have scenes acted by whites. is it even worth the problem/ will whites complain that there are no blacks in their films? the whites i know-some of them may even stop watching a movie if they see a black man appearing in it. yes 
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by sartorius(m): 7:46am On May 07, 2007
shocked people never seem to amaze me
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by ehie007(m): 8:34am On May 07, 2007
the question that we should be asking is y nollywood is very tribalistic in nature. everything abt nollywood is tribalistic.
the english version is dominated by Igbos, are they the best actors/actresses we ave in nigeria i guess not.
95% of all the cast in a normaal home video(english version) are igbos, igbo related, culture igbo, na only igbo dey for nigeria. any village sceen must be from the east.
they cant even explore the other regions like the north, west, south south.

thats one of the reasons nollywood still remains wacked and messed up.

now yourubas have seggregated themselves to be acting their own.
probably the hausas will start their own soon.

honestly we are still far away in nolllywood.

am not a yoruba person but if am to watch a nollywood movie it has to be a yoruba epic movie, its more natural and nigerian like.

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Ugwumba(m): 8:43am On May 07, 2007
myssfyne:

You don't see foreign actors in our movies because all nollywood ever acts is how we think as Nigerians.I don't see a white man coming to act a witchcraft movie or iya basira or babalawo!!!!!

ROFLMAO -  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The best and smartest contribution, so far.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by romeo(m): 11:00am On May 07, 2007
ehie007:

the question that we should be asking is y nollywood is very tribalistic in nature. everything about nollywood is tribalistic.
the english version is dominated by Igbos, are they the best actors/actresses we ave in nigeria i guess not.
95% of all the cast in a normaal home video(english version) are igbos, igbo related, culture igbo, na only igbo dey for nigeria. any village sceen must be from the east.
they can't even explore the other regions like the north, west, south south.

am not a yoruba person but if am to watch a nollywood movie it has to be a yoruba epic movie, its more natural and nigerian like.

another stupid post
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by bamidele(m): 12:29pm On May 07, 2007
not racist at all just homophobic its okay for two women to be kissing but not okay for two men to kiss its about time gay actors come out from nigeria and act as i understand it u have to be lesbo or gay to get a film part in niaja
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by youngies(m): 12:31pm On May 07, 2007
ehie007:

the question that we should be asking is y nollywood is very tribalistic in nature. everything about nollywood is tribalistic.
they can't even explore the other regions like the north, west, south south.

This post is more stupid than I thought
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 07, 2007
@topic poster, are you white and interested in getting a movie role in nollywood movies? simply watch out for any movie that has a role for you,go for an audition.
@topic,How many Nigerians have you seen in Bollywood flicks? Hollywood can use blacks because there are black Americans and they write stories about Africans plus they can afford to pay them. Besides,I've seen about 4 movies with white people,watch EPE and some other yoruba movies.What's the noise about? like someone said,do you think Julia Roberts can act the role of mama Basira or Apeke or Uchechi? if they are needed they'll be hired.
This topic sucks . angry
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Sundaisy(f): 1:30pm On May 07, 2007
Hey there!

I am a Black American, and I love watching Nigerian movies.  One of my bestfriends that is Nigerian introduced me to the site about a few weeks ago. I have watched about 7 films so far.  I am always look forward to tell him how I felt about the movies.  I think I am getting on his nerves because I am always asking questions.  But that's too bad he has to put up with it,  grin
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by superman(m): 4:17pm On May 07, 2007
Elody-Ann

how many european  president are married to black woman? are they racist?

well all i can say u can always jump off from the twin tower

my ass
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by adeboo(f): 5:40pm On May 07, 2007
I reckon if there were actors who were white am sure they would give them opportunities when the parts arise.

There are lots of 'white' actors that have small parts in the dramas
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by RedLips3(f): 5:45pm On May 07, 2007
again you people responding to these Nigerian haters have nothing better to do?

Why arent there any white people in East African movies, Elody? Oh yea you people cant afford a camera.

comot jare.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by TCUBE(m): 7:13pm On May 07, 2007
who posted this sh*t? talk about human stupidity, they might be tribalistic but racist? hell no!
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by naijaway(m): 9:48pm On May 07, 2007
First of all dat nollyword name needs to be changed cuz there's no reason for dat its just to make themselves feel like hollywood. And I don't think dat cuz a lot of white people 'r not in the movies means we'r racist moreover I have seen a lot of homemovies dat had white people in it and very popular ones too like osofia in london and the other osofia's movie where he duped some guys from America. My point is dat Nigeria is more populated with blacks dat the few whites around 'r working for their governments.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by Amobi1(m): 11:36pm On May 07, 2007
1st of all. Niger actors don't over act. they try to potray Africans in the best way they can't n yes they r whites in nollywood industry. finally, nobody its holding the yoruba's to do there own stuff. Hausa's also have there own movies. but u know how they think. No body get time 4 Sharia law violation. thx!
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by naijaway(m): 11:58pm On May 07, 2007
@ehie007, men most of the yoruba films u have seen did they explore other places exerpt lagos? Well, am not even going to argue ibo vs yoruba or anything of that nature with u because i have a lot of tight paddies that are yorubas, hausas, and lots of Nigerian tribe which have made me a respectful, accepting, experienced, and a loving person. Men, i have cousins that 'r yorubas and these 'r first cousins and gees too so i guess u write a script and also travel to the eastern parts of Nigeria afterall a lot of yoruba people school there and many live there so stop restricting ur youth to only Ondo, and other typical yoruba states cuz u 'll grow old being clouded by false views.
Re: Is Nollywood Racist? by RedLips3(f): 12:24am On May 08, 2007
naijaway:

@ehie007, men most of the yoruba films u have seen did they explore other places exerpt lagos?

yes. some even go on to Benin. so what is your point?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fish Port Princess - Mexican Telenovela / Download Jenifa’s Diary Season 12 Episode 1 – Hard To Get / Where Can I Get That Old Time Indian Movie Titled "The Promise"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.