Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,473 members, 7,954,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:52 AM

Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) (17329 Views)

My Last Day In School (complete story) / Nairaland E-workshop And Nairaland Writers Award: How Do We Improve? / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by JigsawKillah(m): 6:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
OMA4U: JigsawKillah, I don't accept with the part that you said poetry must be read once and understand, except you are talking about nursery rhymes. In fact there are many things to look out for in a poem, so it must be read up to three times, if not more.

I recall timpaker' seductress is hapless. I had to read several times before I understood it. Same as some legendary poems such as wole soyinka 's telephone conversation.

So tell me something else.

didn't you at least have an idea of what he was talking about
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 6:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
timpaker: I understand quintets are written in 5 lines and are metered most commonly iambic parameters with a rhyming scheme of ababb, abcba, etc.

I'm guessing you used the English quintet (envelope form).

I think what you used there is a Pentastich
Thanks, I googled it. You're right

Timpaker and forms of poetry! You're going to teach us how you flow with various forms and meters. I can't wait to read your write-up.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by TiffanyJ(f): 6:33pm On Oct 01, 2014
Divepen, I guess i should just continue typing.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 6:35pm On Oct 01, 2014
JigsawKillah:

didn't you at least have an idea of what he was talking about
An idea needs to be groomed by reading it over.

JigsawKillah, nice contributions. I've learnt new things from you.

Princesa, DaveP, thanks for the tutorials.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 01, 2014
TiffanyJ: Divepen, I guess i should just continue typing.
yes
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by TiffanyJ(f): 7:02pm On Oct 01, 2014
how I feel about my characters
well, I think this question is a kind of personal, especially my protagonists.
I Will say that the characters of Jordan and Henry are dynamic. These two men, although are my protagonists, change over the time in the course of the story. These are men who saw women as a tools. They both made it clear that marriage is not part of their duties on earth. Their resolutions change when they met Tara and Linda.
I guess, I love the character of Linda more. She is a static character. She refused to give up on the man she loves and fought hard to make her marriage work eventhough her husband is a playboy.
Just like Linda, the character of Tara is static, she never change when she became a millionaire and had been a good mother and wife.
The character of Amanda is static. She was evil and had never regretted her actions. It didn't even matter to her that she was going to jail.
Mrs Annabel is a round character. We find it more difficult to understand a woman who would rather die of hunger than go to her very rich father for help.
Terry is a symbolic character who represented the rich and spoilt people in our society, bullying and destroying the weak and feeble.
PS: will modify this later. I'm really in a hurry now.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by TiffanyJ(f): 7:08pm On Oct 01, 2014
how I feel about my characters.
well, I think this question is a kind of personal, especially my protagonists.
I Will say that the characters of Jordan and Henry are dynamic. These two men, although are my protagonists, change over the time in the course of the story. These are men who saw women as a tools. They both made it clear that marriage is not part of their duties on earth. Their resolutions change when they met Tara and Linda.
I guess, I love the character of Linda more. She is a static character. She refused to give up on the man she loves and fought hard to make her marriage work eventhough her husband is a playboy.
Just like Linda, the character of Tara is static, she never change when she became a millionaire and had been a good mother and wife.
The character of Amanda is static. She was evil and had never regretted her actions. It didn't even matter to her that she was going to jail.
Mrs Annabel is a round character. We find it more difficult to understand a woman who would rather die of hunger than go to her very rich father for help.
Terry is a symbolic character who represented the rich and spoilt people in our society, bullying and destroying the weak and feeble.
PS: will modify this later. I'm really in a hurry now.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 7:34pm On Oct 01, 2014
chibwike: you always dancing shoki. Longest tym audrey, hw have u been
Na shoki dey reign na. Lol! I'm good
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 01, 2014
[size=16]End Of Day2. Welcome To After Party[/size]
I want to Thank all Facilators that dropped their posts today-TiffanyJ, Davep, Jigsawkillah, and Princesa.
Also, thanx to those who dropped theri Poem and story today...

Tomorrow.
DAY3
Introduction- 12:00-12:20
12:21-12:30- Poem/Short stories
12:31- 1:30- Type Of Narator- WHITEMOSQUITO--: Followed by questions and answers at the comment thread.
1:31-2:30- CREATING IMAGE IN STORIES-- QUEENXSTAR...Followed by Q and A section @ The comment thread.
2:31-2:40- Short story/Poem
2:41-3:40- BOOSTENING YOUR IMAGINATION--FLAKKYDAGIRL-followed by Q and A section @ The comment thread
3:41-4:40 - HOW SHORT STORIES CAN HELP YOUR IMAGINATION---MISSYHORLAH followed by question and answer @ the comment thread.
4:41-4:50- Short story/Poem
4:51- 5:50--- THE DEEP STRUCTURE OF A PLAY- NOBLE4D-- followed by Q and A section
5:51-6:00- short story/Poem.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Calismart(m): 8:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
Wow,thanks divepen for bringing me here
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by princesa(f): 8:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
Okay, I enjoyed today's contributions, Looking forward to tomorrow.

Tiffanyj...i learnt more about characters today, and can actually place my characters in a group. thank you.

Olusharp...I loved ur poem too, love the dialogue infusion. But to make your poems look more professional, try to adhere to the poetry form rule that every word in a new line starts with a capital letter, except in some cases where they are run on lines (enjabment). And offcourse, the first person pronoun 'i' is always written in capital, no matter where they appear. Kudos

Oma4u...your poems are just killing me softly, thanks for contributing. smiley

Jigsaw... You didn't quite deal with the topic you presented, but the little was educative, thank you too...

Timpaker, you and poetry forms enh and to think you didn't study literature, I hope you'd educate us more on poetry forms when its your turn to speak abi post tongue

Divepen...of course you know you're great, weldone.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 01, 2014
Calismart: Wow,thanks divepen for bringing me here
you are welcome, sir.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 8:58pm On Oct 01, 2014
Thanks Princesa, and yeah, back to Timpaker, he's got a lot to teach us.

Tomorrow is another great day.

Thanks to God and all.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by daveP(m): 9:17pm On Oct 01, 2014
princesa:

Que 1: hmm...do you feel its indeed possible to know about love and yet not be able to describe it? Well, I should think that there are possibility in some situations.

But then again, Love isnt restricted to the feeling between a man and woman, it extends to the feeling between a mother and child, a father and his son, between friends, siblings, etc.

So what can be done? Using a character Dialogues, reaction, action, etc towards another can help portray love to a reader. The writer doesn't necessarily have to paint love with flowery terms, comparisons, rhymes or verses as Romeo would, to portray Love. They are different ways to kill a Bird you know.

Que 2: yeah, that's the beauty of using words to play with the sensory organs of the reader. Some writers may see nothing wrong in being vulgar with their narration of sex scenes, while others can't imagine penning down the sex process word for word. So whichever way you choose, its only the type of words you employ in describing the sex scenes that matters and serves your purpose.

Que 3: that's why I talked about improving your registers and doing research. If you want to write a story with a foreign setting, then you just have to read wide and Google!

There was a time I wanted to write an airport scene, but I haven't been in one and had restricted knowledge of an airport based on the movies I've seen, so I took to Google and it was worth the search.

Thank yousmiley
something is wrong with my mentions. Is any other person experiencing such? I didnt get your quote.

Nice and smart response. cheesy

The last person/author that described a good night robbery scene for me is....... In "Bade and the Oracles". Can never forget that book ever! cheesy way back in erm(keeps mute)
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 01, 2014
Divepen: [size=16]End Of Day2. Welcome To After Party[/size]
I want to Thank all Facilators that dropped their posts today-TiffanyJ, Davep, Jigsawkillah, and Princesa.
Also, thanx to those who dropped theri Poem and story today...

Tomorrow.
DAY3
12:31- 1:30- Type Of Narator- WHITEMOSQUITO--: Followed by questions and answers at the comment thread.
1:31-2:30- CREATING IMAGE IN STORIES-- QUEENXSTAR...Followed by Q and A section @ The comment thread.
2:41-3:40- BOOSTENING YOUR IMAGINATION--FLAKKYDAGIRL-followed by Q and A section @ The comment thread
3:41-4:40 - HOW SHORT STORIES CAN HELP YOUR IMAGINATION---MISSYHORLAH followed by question and answer @ the comment thread.
4:51- 5:50--- THE DEEP STRUCTURE OF A PLAY- NOBLE4D-- followed by Q and A section
sorry haf been off for a while.don't get what this is for
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Olusharp(m): 9:33pm On Oct 01, 2014
princesa: Okay, I enjoyed today's contributions, Looking forward to tomorrow.

Tiffanyj...i learnt more about characters today, and can actually place my characters in a group. thank you.

Olusharp...I loved ur poem too, love the dialogue infusion. But to make your poems look more professional, try to adhere to the poetry form rule that every word in a new line starts with a capital letter, except in some cases where they are run on lines (enjabment). And offcourse, the first person pronoun 'i' is always written in capital, no matter where they appear. Kudos

Oma4u...your poems are just killing me softly, thanks for contributing. smiley

Jigsaw... You didn't quite deal with the topic you presented, but the little was educative, thank you too...

Timpaker, you and poetry forms enh and to think you didn't study literature, I hope you'd educate us more on poetry forms when its your turn to speak abi post tongue

Divepen...of course you know you're great, weldone.
noted. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by timpaker(m): 10:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
princesa: Timpaker, you and poetry forms enh and to think you didn't study literature, I hope you'd educate us more on poetry forms when its your turn to speak abi post tongue
My topic has nothing to do with poetry forms. Or has Divepen changed my topic? OMA4U, But wait ooooo. I hope the topic "Writing for Readers" is what I think it is
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by princesa(f): 12:05am On Oct 02, 2014
timpaker:
My topic has nothing to do with poetry forms. Or has Divepen changed my topic? OMA4U, But wait ooooo. I hope the topic "Writing for Readers" is what I think it is

hehehehe keep on wondering till you mount the podium grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by An0nimus: 1:22am On Oct 02, 2014
And I was busy eating roasted corn on the comments thread embarassed
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 02, 2014
I'm sorry for coming late. I had to borrow a friends to post this, because of lack of power supply in my area.
Let us begin

12:31- 1:30- Type Of Narator- WHITEMOSQUITO--:
Followed by questions and answers at the
comment thread.
1:31-2:30- CREATING IMAGE IN STORIES--
QUEENXSTAR...Followed by Q and A section @
The comment thread.
2:41-3:40- BOOSTENING YOUR IMAGINATION--
FLAKKYDAGIRL-followed by Q and A section @
The comment thread
3:41-4:40 - HOW SHORT STORIES CAN HELP YOUR
IMAGINATION---MISSYHORLAH followed by
question and answer @ the comment thread.
4:51- 5:50--- THE DEEP STRUCTURE OF A PLAY-
NOBLE4D-- followed by Q and A section
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 02, 2014
So where are our contributors for today? Divepen, nice job u are really pulling up here. Kip it up pls.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by kayemjay(m): 1:46pm On Oct 02, 2014
Divepen,

I have not been rescheduled. I was offline for most part of yesterday so I could not deliver my class. Please is there anything you can do?

Thank thee.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by whitemosquito(f): 1:55pm On Oct 02, 2014
Wow. I was scared this was going to happen... Divey, uv forgotten our pre arrangement. I mailed you my lecture as early as 5 this morning. Pls check ur mail and post here o. I knew I wouldnt be able to come online till later in the evening. And ur phone was switched off. I even left a mssg on NLSW....
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by whitemosquito(f): 2:03pm On Oct 02, 2014
Dang. I dont like this. I like to keep to time... And to think that I'd woken up extra early just to meet up... Can anybody help? I copied my lecture into my Nairaland diary.. So anyone can just visit my diary,copy the second to the last entry and paste it here. Plz...
Im currently on the road. Dont have access to a Pc.... Its titled "FRESH AIR OF GRACE."
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by whitemosquito(f): 2:06pm On Oct 02, 2014
Help. Somebody. Anybody. Please.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by daveP(m): 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2014
OMA4U: An idea needs to be groomed by reading it over.

JigsawKillah, nice contributions. I've learnt new things from you.

Princsa, DavP, thanks for the tutorials.

you welcome! I didnt get the mention yesterday. cool
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by daveP(m): 2:18pm On Oct 02, 2014
princesa: Okay, I enjoyed today's contributions, Looking forward to tomorrow.

Tiffanj...i learnt more about characters today, and can actually place my characters in a group. thank you.

Olushrp...I loved ur poem too, love the dialogue infusion. But to make your poems look more professional, try to adhere to the poetry form rule that every word in a new line starts with a capital letter, except in some cases where they are run on lines (enjabment). And offcourse, the first person pronoun 'i' is always written in capital, no matter where they appear. Kudos

Omau...your poems are just killing me softly, thanks for contributing. smiley

Jigsw... You didn't quite deal with the topic you presented, but the little was educative, thank you too...

Timpker, you and poetry forms enh and to think you didn't study literature, I hope you'd educate us more on poetry forms when its your turn to speak abi post tongue

Diveen...of course you know you're great, weldone.
erm (looks for my name) does it mean i didnt......?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by daveP(m): 2:21pm On Oct 02, 2014
Why? Whats the matter?
whitemosquito: Help. Somebody. Anybody. Please.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:11pm On Oct 02, 2014
(POSTED ON BEHALF OF WHITEMOSQUITO)

Types of Narrator
I'm humbled to have been given the opportunity
to share of my really very little knowledge/
experience...Most importantly, I'm excited to
have been included at all. It is the usual thing to
stick with people that you know or are familiar
with when it comes to things like this, and I'd
never related with Divey before, so imagine my
pleasant surprise to be included in such a great
idea.....I've never truly forgiven Larry for
shooting me down in his first Collabo thread.
LOL...
I'd like to start by giving a brief pedigree of
myself.
I started writing at age seven. Before that, like
most writers, I'd read my fair share of Enid
Blyton's and children literature as well as
anything I could lay my hands on, which
included, and was certainly not limited to, my
little Kiddies Dictionary.I read it in its entirety,
and I could tell the meaning of all the words
therein. No small feat for a seven year old; it was
157 page book. I think my fascination with
literature as a whole was birthed then. My
mother being the smart woman that she is, knew
her daughter was on to something and wholly
encouraged me.
I continued writing fiction till age twenty, when I
stopped, abruptly. For personal reasons. But,
that was when my Editing career began, and over
the next few years- six years plus till date- I have
edited literary works, whole magazines, etc non
stop.
I only began writing fiction again with my debut
novel, She Came With Hope, right here on
Nairaland... So, if I say that Im passionate about
literature, I think that would be a gross
understatement... Lol.
I however maintain, to anyone with whom I've
had that opportunity, that there is no new story
under the sun. There are those who would fight
me on that. Once again. Larry seems to be my
nemesis, Lol....but let's think about it for a
minute, shall we?
Stories have always been told from the beginning
of time. From the Bible stories of the Fall of Man
and the Angels, to the classics of Hansel and
Gretel, Cinderella, to the African myths and
Folklore of Nigeria's Tortoise and the Ghanaian
Kweku Anansi, stories have formed a huge part
of our existence. It's been how we preserve it..
Although the periphery may have changed, the
basic themes running through these stories;
themes of love, hate, fear, war and its
consequences, the opposing forces of good and
evil, etc are the same. If the gods are not
descending to earth to impregnate mortals and
sire[ the Fall of the angels, and the Greek myths],
then it is humans ascending to other planets/
space to be impregnated by Higher life forms[the
sci fi movie, EXTANT]..and the themes have
remained the same..
There really isn't any new story under the sun!
It's all been told before..and its part of the job of
a writer to recognise that, and rather than fight
it, embrace it, understand it and use it.
Personally, I like the way Divey has titled this
topic, but it is commonly referred to as FORMS
OF NARRATIVE. Sometime ago, on my thread Eru
ti Ife, I had cause to talk briefly about it, so below
is a highly simplified explanation of the different
narrative forms as it appears in my thread. I
hope you'll find it as comprehensive as possible.
So, I had to take time out to sort this once and
for all.. Because, I've noticed that a lot of Nl
writers stick strictly to the first person dialogue,
even when its obvious [to me, anyway] that their
story would be better told in the third person.
angry
And may also be why most readers find my
writing style strange. grin
Why do you think you enjoy some stories more
than others? Its way more than mere
storyline;I've always maintained that there is no
new story under the sun. It has EVERYTHING to
do with how engaged the writer made you feel-
which is a function of the NARRATIVE.
Hopefully, this should clear all doubts and
misgivings:
There are many points of view for a writer to
choose from, and each has different problems,
responsibilities and effects. The available points
of view are first, second and third person.
The First Person
First of all, you need to decide how this story is
being told. Is the character writing it down?
Telling it out loud? Thinking it to their self? And if
they are writing it down, is it something meant to
be read by the public? Or is it a private diary? A
story meant for one other person? The way the
first person narrator is relating the story will
affect how you write it, the language you choose,
the length of your sentences, your tone of voice
and many other things. The reader should have
at least some sense of this as well. The way they
interpret a story could be very different if it is
told as a secret diary or if it is a public statement.
Another aspect to think about is how much time
has elapsed between when the character
experienced the events of the story and when
they decided to tell them. If only a few days have
passed, the story could be related very
differently than if the character was reflecting on
events of the distant past. Also think about why
the character is telling the story. What is their
motivation? Are they just trying to clear up
events for their own peace of mind? Make a
confession about a wrong they did? The reason
why a story is told will also affect how it is
written, and you at least should know the
answer, even if it never makes its way into the
text. And not only Why? but Why now?
A first person narrative is often more effective
when it is a first person narrator telling someone
else's story (in other words, when the narrator is
not the main character). This allows a certain
distance between the narrator and the events
which is impossible for the main character. On
the other hand, the inability to see the bigger
picture can sometimes be exploited to good
effect.
First Person Protagonist: For this point of view, a
character relates events that occurred to them;
the "I" is the main character, telling her or his
own story.
E.g
My stomach rumbled from the sour 'moimoi' I
had at my CDS dinner early in the evening. It had
seemed like a good idea at the time even though
I suspected the meal had spent way too much
time in the cooler or had been exposed to air
without proper preservation. - culled from 'She
came with Hope' by White Mosquito.
First Person Witness: The story of the main
character is told by another character observing
the events.
Her stomach rumbled from the sour 'moimoi'
she had at her CDS dinner early in the evening.
She had thought it a good idea at the time, even
though she suspected that the meal.....
First Person Re-teller: The story is told, not by a
witness to the events, but by someone who has
heard the story from yet another person.
Her stomach rumbled; I don't know why; it
probably was the sour 'moimoi' she had at her
CDS dinner early in the evening. You know how
sometimes you decide to risk eating something
even when you should know better. She had
thought it a good idea at the time, even though
she suspected that the meal....
The Third Person
Characters are referred to as "he" and "she" in
third person. In this case the narrator (who may
be indistinguishable from the author) is not a
character in the story. Depending on the type of
third person point of view, the narrator may
know -- and be able to tell about -- the thoughts
and feelings of all characters, or only one
character, or they may only be able to report
what is seen or heard.
Sometimes a third person narrator requires the
reader to accept the narrator's authority, which
they may be hesitant to do. Just because a
narrator sounds like they know it all, doesn't
mean they do. This may be why the first person
point of view has become more and more
popular -- it can be harder to get the reader to
identify with a nameless, third person teller.
However, third person narration is very flexible
and should not be discarded without thought. It
is still the most common point of view, and for
good reason.
When a writer is turning personal experiences
into fiction, it is often easier to write in third
person (even if they intend to put the final draft
in first person). This is because the third person
distances the reader (and the writer) from
events. It is easier to write about personal things
when you write as if they are happening to
someone else. It is also easier to change events --
often necessary to turn reality into fiction --
when you aren't claiming that it was you who
experienced them.
Third Person Omniscient: The narrator knows
everything; all thoughts, feelings, and actions
may be related to the reader (or they may be
withheld).
Her stomach rumbled. She had sour 'moimoi'
earlier in the evening at her CDS dinner. She had
struggled within herself, she suspected that the
meal had spent way too much time outside the
cooler, exposed without proper preservation.
She argued that she ought to eat it after all it was
her money's worth. You know how it feels to
cough up the compulsory fee for those blasted
Corper events. But it looked good. Just eat it now
and suffer later. You know you don't have food
in the house. I don't care. Yes you do..
Third Person Objective: The narrator can only
relate to the reader what is seen or heard. A
good writer can tell a completely objective story
in such a way that the reader is able to
determine the feelings and sometimes even the
thoughts of the characters through what those
characters say and do, even though the thoughts
and feelings are never described.
Her stomach rumbled throughout the night. She
kn ew it was the sour 'moimoi' from her CDS
dinner earlier that evening. So she swore.
"Dammn it," she said. "I should never have
discredited my better judgement." You see, she
had suspected it was stale when she caught a
whiff of the meal as it was served her. She was so
sure it had spent a considerable amount of time
outside the cooler without proper preservation..
Third Person Limited: The narrator is able to see
into the mind of a single character. Sometimes
the point of view may zoom in so close to that
character that the narrator begins to use that
character's manner of speech and thought, and
sometimes the narrator may step back to take a
more objective view. This point of view is sort of
the "default" in fiction -- it is the most common
because it can be used the most effectively in the
majority of situations. If there is no reason not
to use a third person limited point of view, then
it is probably the best choice (but you will find it
useful to experiment before choosing the point
of view for any given story; third person limited
may often work, but it isn't always the best point
of view. Don't be afraid to use other points of
view, just make sure you have a reason for your
choice). In longer forms like novels, third person
limited can be made even more effective by
changing the character that the point of view is
limited to. You must always be sure the reader
knows when you have switched points of view
and who you have changed to, however. If you
are going to use shifting third person points of
view, it is often best to change at a chapter or
section break, at least until you are proficient
enough at it that you won't lose your reader.
Her stomach was rumbling throughout the night.
She glanced at her watch. It was already half past
eleven. "Dammn that moimoi," she said, thinking
of how hungry she had been at her CDS dinner
earlier that evening. She had argued with herself
for an hour about whether she should eat it. She
had coughed up the entire fee charged each
corper by the Cds, so she was determined to
have her money's worth. Even though she
suspected the meal had spent way too much
time outside the cooler, without proper
preservation..

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by whitemosquito(f): 3:36pm On Oct 02, 2014
Audrey darling, muchas gracias. Youre a rep saver. Lol. Thanks. Finally got hold of a laptop only to be told that the wi fi is dead.. Mssstchew. Ill deal with Divepen later.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 02, 2014
*shaking my hands in fear*
White Mosquito/Whitemosquito will crucify me today.
I am so sorry to be offline since the appointed time.
There had been no battery on my phone since, I just got a chance to charge it an hour ago.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 02, 2014
@missyhorlah, i didnt reply your message since.
If you check your mail, you will see the messge whr you and I concluded on when you will be talking.
Kayemjay, Can you still Post today? If yes, please do.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Onging Stories Collection Of Clustergist.com / Emi(spirit): Legend Of The Human God / Whats Your Best African Novel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.