Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,510 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

A Different Culture - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Different Culture (436 Views)

A different View on COZA Sex Scandal / What Makes You A Different Christian? / What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Different Culture by sabimson(m): 6:38am On Sep 11, 2014
Dear Asake,

I can relate with your view that changing times should affect forms of worship in our churches. I agree that what matters most is the substance of our faith as it takes expressions in multiple forms. However, the culture of the world shouldn't take the lead in our worship as a flimsy testament to changing times and preferences. If we are not careful, Jesus could be lost in the cloud of elitist, post-modern styles we have currently shrouded him with. We are fast becoming a first generation of Christians who feel that in order to be relevant and draw men to Christ we must be like our culture. However, the bible teaches us differently. To be able to be relevant for Christ in our culture, we have to be completely different from that culture. Sadly, the contest of culture nowadays isn't just about the worldly bent but one that also has a religious thought to it.

Romans 12:2:  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God....You are either transformed or be conformed. Your mind is either renewed or plagued by worldliness. To be pleasing to God we must discover what is wrong from the Word of God and run from it like a plague.

Guard your heart.

You must be wary of a virtual culture that diminishes the name of Jesus to a cyber joke and shoves the pill of tolerance down your throat as the token to condoning it. You must be wary of a religious culture that constantly subverts diligence with the rhetoric of God's mercy and favour. You must equally live above the culture of the mind which thinks that separation from worldly entanglement is only a boasting platform for attained life of holiness. That's crap!

I do not just call you to some watery, theological paradigm shift in cultural mandate. In the end, extremes in many directions are bound to be perpetuated. Rather, I call you to a life in the spirit of the cross. Live everyday as a mere channel though which Christ's life can flow into human hearts. Now that's the real, spiritual culture!

Love you.

(1) (Reply)

If Prayer Does Not Work, Try Praise! How True Is It? / ‘how I Was Led To Christ At Age 15’ – Bishop Oyedepo / Preaching The Gospel In The 21st Century

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.