Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,304 members, 7,957,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:52 PM

Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked (806 Views)

4 Weak Points Every Business Should Guard From Hackers / 55000 Twitter Accounts Hacked And Passwords Exposed On Pastebin / 25 Worst Passwords Of 2011 [study] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked by Chidexter(m): 10:57am On Sep 11, 2014
Despite the stringent measures being putin place by software makers far and wide,large-scale security breachesremain a black cloud over modern technology, and today, a Russian Bitcoin site has leaked atotal of 5 million Gmail addresses and passwords. Initially, it was suspected that the leaks were of passwords specificto the Gmail account in question, although now, it seems that the credentials have been snatched from external websites of users who signed upusing a Google email.

Precisely how this sizeable inventory of emails and passwords has been capturedis, at this point in time, anybody’s guess, although according to information that has come to light via Reddit, it’s unlikely that Google is at fault here.

It is being claimed that up to 60 percent of the leaked emails and passwords are still valid, and may have been collected over anumber of years, but if you’re a Gmail user – particularly one who uses the same password when signing up to certain sites and services – then you should immediately go ahead and check if you’ve been caught up in this latest shitstorm.

If you do find that your details are out in the open, then your next port of call will be to change your password immediately.Given that your password is out in the public domain, you’ll certainly want to optfor something completely different to what you had before, and also, ensure that it is as strong as it can be. Oh, and be sure to use two-factor authentication wherever possible.With so many security scandals and breaches of late, one has to wonder whether anywhere is safe from the clutches of unsuspected individuals. As demonstrated a couple of weeks back with the leaks of ill-obtained celebrity photos, nobody can afford to be complacent and not treat online security with the respect and concern it so desperately warrants.

Re: Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked by Chidexter(m): 10:59am On Sep 11, 2014
mods front page pls
Re: Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked by yorex2011: 11:24am On Sep 11, 2014
sad angry
Re: Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked by oseiwe(m): 11:25am On Sep 11, 2014
I just changed my password!
Re: Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked by Richiy(f): 1:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
If Gmail can be hacked, how safe are we in the online world. To think i actually trusted Google!
Re: Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked by Chidexter(m): 2:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
it's surprising
Re: Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked by instinctg(m): 6:00pm On Sep 11, 2014
Richiy: If Gmail can be hacked, how safe are we in the online world. To think i actually trusted Google!
read well,its not a direct hack on Google, it may be a hit via external sites
Re: Hackers Hits Gmail, 5million Passwords Leaked by Richiy(f): 6:25pm On Sep 11, 2014
instinctg:
read well,its not a direct hack on Google, it may be a hit via external sites
Whether its external or internal, a hack is a hack and its demeaning.

(1) (Reply)

What Else Do I Need to make my bulk sms site runing. / Check Out My New Blog Http://nicejams..com/ / I Will Give You 50,000 Nigerian Email Address For $5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.