Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. (7258 Views)

Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. / The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? / What Was Your First GPA &now Your Current CGPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Raiders: 9:04am On Sep 13, 2014
gsparks01: my Bro graduated with 3.48. One problem he admitted was that he met too many ppl to fix that. After it was late, his HOD(I think) said "you should have come to me, it's a simple thing. " Anyway he still went for a Masters programme abroad and got that 2.1 he was denied

so, if you want to push it, ur HOD might be the right person OR you let everything fall in place. God bless you
A HOD can only help before the result is release. A HOD cant really do anything after a result is release unless he gets approval from the university senate to upgrade the result.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Raiders: 9:08am On Sep 13, 2014
proffemi:

There is some tolerance in any measurement. For the CGPA, I assure you that the tolerance is up to +/- 0.01. In other words, statistically, a student with 2.23 and one with 2.24 are inseparable. 3.49 and 3.50 are essentially the same. Unfortunately, one number falls on the "right" side of a major divide, while the other does not. Hence, the OP's desire is understandable and even justifiable, inasmuch as he does not do anything illegal or unethical.
I agree some of your point but in most Nigeria universities I have seen professor grading 69.9 as B. not all professors round up their grade
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by 0955eb027(m): 9:12am On Sep 13, 2014
@op I aint trying to dash ur hope o buh I graduated with a cgpa of 3.47 from d university of ilorin... Its partly my fault and 1 or 2 lecturers as well... Mine s dat I was being complacent... M living with it now buh a day can't go by without me tinkin abt it... All m hoping for is an email dat ve bin offered admission for M.Sc prog cos dats d only tin I can bak it up with... Wishing u d best sha cos dere s always an exception
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Waspy(m): 9:26am On Sep 13, 2014
Guy..you better act and act fast. I had the same scenario while in schl. I was hoping I would be upgraded. Guy, make I no long the gist..... Instead of even freeing me with the .49, na .48 na hin dem give me.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Raiders: 9:27am On Sep 13, 2014
bigtt76: Stop goung to your hostel. Sleep in class everyday until graduation. Make sure you also get distinction in your final project.
lol. I don't think reading in class all night long really help. Most students usually go there to sleep and end up achieving nothing. I know some guys that always read in class during the night. but ended up failing some courses. Most Nigeria students don't know how to plan their time. The best time to read is during daytime after classes and weekends. I only sleep in class once and it was during Pre-degree days. I regretted going to class that night because none of us read. All we did was talk and sleep all through the night. That was the last time I ever study in night class and I was lucky to graduate with 2.1 without going to night class.

2 Likes

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by femidejulius(m): 11:08am On Sep 13, 2014
gsparks01: my Bro graduated with 3.48. One problem he admitted was that he met too many ppl to fix that. After it was late, his HOD(I think) said "you should have come to me, it's a simple thing. " Anyway he still went for a Masters programme abroad and got that 2.1 he was denied

so, if you want to push it, ur HOD might be the right person OR you let everything fall in place. God bless you

If I read and understand wat u wrote here, u said ur brother later got a 2.1 in his masters, right? Is there anything like 2.1 in masters degree?
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by femidejulius(m): 11:16am On Sep 13, 2014
Make sure you talk to your HOD. Am sure you will graduate with a 2.1 if you do so. He has d authority to hlp u. Just forget about watever ur course adviser tld u.

I am assuring u dt watever his response might be, u will finish with a 2.1. Take it as a prophecy. Ur 2.1 is a done deal if you do wat I ask u to do.

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 11:22am On Sep 13, 2014
femidejulius: Make sure you talk to your HOD. Am sure you will graduate with a 2.1 if you do so. He has d authority to hlp u. Just forget about watever ur course adviser tld u.

I am assuring u dt watever his response might be, u will finish with a 2.1. Take it as a prophecy. Ur 2.1 is a done deal if you do wat I ask u to do.
Thank you sir!

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Nobody: 11:23am On Sep 13, 2014
I guess, that is your natural best... its not about the grades alone tho always painful as i finished with 4.44 ....looking back after 15yrs ... i am grateful to God ...all the same see ur HOD cos of nigeria factor of craze for papers qualifications
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by davidobama(m): 11:36am On Sep 13, 2014
Realtol: I am a graduating student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile - Ife. I recently saw the last of my result from 100-400 level and my CGPA currently stands at 3:49 i.e. second class lower while second class upper starts from 3:50.

Please, is there anything I can do in order to earn that 2:1 because I'm just frustrated now?

P.S. I have seen all results but the results are yet to leave the shore of my department for Senate approval.

I feel ur pain bro i was once in ur shoe and it was very painful infact still very painful but u shld still beliv in ur dream. Nigeria for u bro
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by WoodcrestMayor(m): 12:31pm On Sep 13, 2014
Project supervisors wield much power.If u had good rapport while executing your project den u might stand a chance.By good rapport I mean working hand in hand with your supervisor and effecting corrections as appropriate....if it hasn't been graded tho.
Else just move on.Conscience is very powerful you knw.If in d nearest future 2:1 graduates are told to submit CVs,u'll surely submit but there'll always be a torture within you.A voice 'll always say "you didn't finish with a 2:1".Itz a terrible situation to find one's self in.

2 Likes

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Olufemiolaolu(m): 1:11pm On Sep 13, 2014
The limitation of ur goals n dreams lie not in ur gp but d mental barrier u re setting 4 ur self as a result of attaching so much importance 2 it. U can b great inspite of any gp u graduate with, if u re determined n focused.

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by kilokeys(m): 2:11pm On Sep 13, 2014
i finished with a 3.48. still feels awful. i know ill laugh it off one day

still jobless.. so do whatever u can.

i didnt cos i was young and stewpid.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by endtime1(m): 3:42pm On Sep 13, 2014
I graduated with a cgpa of 3.46 in physics though painful but I ave accepted fate cgpa is not criteria of measuring success but a means so prove ur worth out there
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 13, 2014
Raiders: lol. I don't think reading in class all night long really help. Most students usually go there to sleep and end up achieving nothing. I know some guys that always read in class during the night. but ended up failing some courses. Most Nigeria students don't know how to plan their time. The best time to read is during daytime after classes and weekends. I only sleep in class once and it was during Pre-degree days. I regretted going to class that night because none of us read. All we did was talk and sleep all through the night. That was the last time I ever study in night class and I was lucky to graduate with 2.1 without going to night class.

Stop Generalizing sad
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Olamyyde(m): 5:04pm On Sep 13, 2014
Raiders: lol. I don't think reading in class all night long really help. Most students usually go there to sleep and end up achieving nothing. I know some guys that always read in class during the night. but ended up failing some courses. Most Nigeria students don't know how to plan their time. The best time to read is during daytime after classes and weekends. I only sleep in class once and it was during Pre-degree days. I regretted going to class that night because none of us read. All we did was talk and sleep all through the night. That was the last time I ever study in night class and I was lucky to graduate with 2.1 without going to night class.
well said! Night reading seldom helps
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by noordean(m): 5:46pm On Sep 13, 2014
Realtol: I am a graduating student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile - Ife. I recently saw the last of my result from 100-400 level and my CGPA currently stands at 3:49 i.e. second class lower while second class upper starts from 3:50.

Please, is there anything I can do in order to earn that 2:1 because I'm just frustrated now?

P.S. I have seen all results but the results are yet to leave the shore of my department for Senate approval.
u'v really tried bro,i had 3.49 at d end of d harmattan semesta of my final year in oau, so i had to relocate my bed space to awo upper reading room(lol) because i knw ao painful it culd b to c myself avin dat 2.2 at d end of everytin,bt i tank God i made it eventually. Though in my department(physics) ,cases like ds r treated specially during d board of exerminers' meeting befor results r forwarded to senate.
i ll advise u to c ur Hod n discuss it wit im cos he has d final say on it.
Tho some lecturas would advise u to extend ur program by a semesta n register some restricted electives bt i dnt tink datz possible again since anoda new session has already begun.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by noordean(m): 5:52pm On Sep 13, 2014
endtime1: I graduated with a cgpa of 3.46 in physics though painful but I ave accepted fate cgpa is not criteria of measuring success but a means so prove ur worth out there
in oau?? if yes see Dr akinwumi n tell im abt it, am sure of 3.47-3.49 because i heard it frm im
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by gsparks01(m): 9:22pm On Sep 13, 2014
femidejulius:

If I read and understand wat u wrote here, u said ur brother later got a 2.1 in his masters, right? Is there anything like 2.1 in masters degree?
equivalent
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Nobody: 11:23pm On Sep 13, 2014
@ op, seriously I was in your shoe last two months, Mine wasn't even up to 3.49, it was 3.48 but to the glory of God I made a 2.1. How He Did it is unquestionable. pray to Him and have faith,
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 12:05pm On Sep 14, 2014
yettybaby112: @ op, seriously I was in your shoe last two months, Mine wasn't even up to 3.49, it was 3.48 but to the glory of God I made a 2.1. How He Did it is unquestionable. pray to Him and have faith,
Wow! God is really faithful, I have decided to hold on to my faith but I won't go begging around again. I have to leave the whole issue to God to do as it pleases HIM. Moreover, which school was that?

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by oyeludef(m): 5:30am On Sep 25, 2014
Realtol:
Wow! God is really faithful, I have decided to hold on to my faith but I won't go begging around again. I have to leave the whole issue to God to do as it pleases HIM. Moreover, which school was that?
OP if its still possible, ill advice u see ur course advisor nd tell him u want to do an extra semester
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by fineyemi(m): 7:27am On Sep 25, 2014
proffemi:

I believe I said "one number falls on the right side of a major divide...". I'm sure you're not just trying to be pedantic.
I'm saying although the two numbers are different, if you did a study where you had N number of students, some with 3.49 and some with 3.50, you would not be able to tell which is which, even though some are "2.1" and some are "2.2".

By the way, this idea (also suggested above) that a CGPA of 3.4999(!) is not equal to 3.50, I want to know which university this is we're talking about. Just to be sure and all that.
U seem to b a comp sci student/graduate. U usin d key word (!) Nt. Its impressive.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 9:54am On Sep 25, 2014
oyeludef: OP if its still possible, ill advice u see ur course advisor nd tell him u want to do an extra semester
Registration is already over
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by proffemi: 9:14am On Sep 26, 2014
fineyemi: U seem to b a comp sci student/graduate. U usin d key word (!) Nt. Its impressive.
I'm an academic in the Electrical Engineering - Computer Engineering - Computer Science continuum. Nuff said smiley
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by proffemi: 9:15am On Sep 26, 2014
Realtol: Registration is already over
Actually, it isn't. Late registration is still on.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 12:58pm On Sep 26, 2014
proffemi:
Actually, it isn't. Late registration is still on.
All right sir, perhaps I will toe that line and register for an extra semester. I'm currently out of Ife and will surely go back on Monday to perfect that.
Thanks for the keen interest you showed in my issue.
I'm so grateful.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Danny4show(m): 5:29am On Sep 27, 2014
oyeludef: OP if its still possible, ill advice u see ur course advisor nd tell him u want to do an extra semester
sorry bro i dont think dt is possible because the Op did nt stated dt he has any CO(carryover)..
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by oyeludef(m): 12:30pm On Sep 27, 2014
Danny4show: sorry bro i dont think dt is possible because the Op did nt stated dt he has any CO(carryover)..
i believe d op understands wat im saying
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 4:03pm On Sep 27, 2014
No, I don't have any carry over.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by stephano100(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2015
Realtol:
realtol..u..did..nt..tell..us..hw..it..ended..o..pls..do.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by tobyemmanuel(m): 9:50pm On Mar 29, 2022
Realtol:
Currently in the same shoe. So what eventually happened? Was it upgraded?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Info On Unimaid Admission List / Nuc Approved Grades / WAEC Timetable 2024 Is Officialy Out, Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.