Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,598 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. (7248 Views)

Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. / The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? / What Was Your First GPA &now Your Current CGPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 5:04am On Sep 13, 2014
I am a graduating student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile - Ife. I recently saw the last of my result from 100-400 level and my CGPA currently stands at 3:49 i.e. second class lower while second class upper starts from 3:50.

Please, is there anything I can do in order to earn that 2:1 because I'm just frustrated now?

P.S. I have seen all results but the results are yet to leave the shore of my department for Senate approval.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by bigtt76(f): 6:03am On Sep 13, 2014
Stop goung to your hostel. Sleep in class everyday until graduation. Make sure you also get distinction in your final project.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Raiders: 6:04am On Sep 13, 2014
Realtol: I am a graduating student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile - Ife. I recently saw the last of my result from 100-400 level and my CGPA currently stands at 3:49 i.e. second class lower while second class upper starts from 3:50.

Please, is there anything I can do in order to earn that 2:1 because I'm just frustrated now?

P.S. I have seen all results but the results are yet to leave the shore of my department for Senate approval.
I don't think it will be rounded up to 2.1. I almost had the same problem. my last result before my I saw my project was 3.499 and I needed an A in project to make 3.5. Luckily, when the result came out I got an A and my final CGPA was 3.501. My HOD told me then that they don't round up GPA and I was lucky. You should go talk with your HOD or supervisor. I wish you good luck.

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by 42n8dzydoo(m): 6:09am On Sep 13, 2014
Approach ur part advice, u myt be lucky...if 4.49 could be rounded-off, urs too can...# from a fellow Great-Ife

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 6:14am On Sep 13, 2014
Raiders: I don't think it will be rounded up to 2.1. I almost had the same problem. my last result before my I saw my project was 3.499 and I needed an A in project to make 3.5. Luckily, when the result came out I got an A and my final CGPA was 3.501. My HOD told me then that they don't round up GPA and I was lucky. You should go talk with your HOD or supervisor. I wish you good luck.
Thanks! I also got an A in project and 66Bs in some departmental/faculty courses and that is what's giving me headache. I just need one of these courses to be upgraded to 70A (2unit) and all would be well but they are not ready to help at the department, claiming they can't tamper the result i.e. everything is automated.
I'm just frustrated.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 6:20am On Sep 13, 2014
42n8dzydoo: Approach ur part advice, u myt be lucky...if 4.49 could be rounded-off, urs too can...# from a fellow Great-Ife
Thank you! Sir, I have gone to see my part adviser and she said " I cannot help you, everything is automated".
Sir! was yours done by part adviser? Your advice and guidance are highly needed and welcomed sir.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 6:24am On Sep 13, 2014
bigtt76: Stop goung to your hostel. Sleep in class everyday until graduation. Make sure you also get distinction in your final project.
I have seen all my results i.e. I had completed all my workloads
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by proffemi: 6:32am On Sep 13, 2014
Realtol: I am a graduating student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile - Ife. I recently saw the last of my result from 100-400 level and my CGPA currently stands at 3:49 i.e. second class lower while second class upper starts from 3:50. Please, is there anything I can do in order to earn that 2:1 because I'm just frustrated now? P.S. I have seen all results but the results are yet to leave the shore of my department for Senate approval.

Hope you are sure about the last part. Some results were approved in Senate yesterday.
Did you score 57,58,59,67,68 or 69 in any course in your final year?
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 6:38am On Sep 13, 2014
No, I only scored 66Bs in two courses at final semester/year. 67Bs are scored in 200level and 300.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Simplefaithy(m): 6:47am On Sep 13, 2014
why are u confused? why cant u jus resign to faith and allow baba God to do His thing. if u run from ya hod to vc wat He has decree will surely come to pass. ur fortune and prosperity is not tied to 2.1 or 2.2.

5 Likes

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 6:55am On Sep 13, 2014
Simplefaithy: why are u confused? why cant u jus resign to faith and allow baba God to do His thing. if u run from ya hod to vc wat He has decree will surely come to pass. ur fortune and prosperity is not tied to 2.1 or 2.2.
Thanks, I quite understand your stand. It's just that I have to at least try to do something on it, since there is nothing God cannot do. Perhaps by seeking advice and guidance solution can come... since there is no harm in that. Thank you very much!
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 13, 2014
You can Approximate (round it up) yourself na

*Just saying my own o*

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 6:57am On Sep 13, 2014
engrjidex: You can round it up yourself na

*Just saying my own o*
Thanks. It is still an advice
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 6:58am On Sep 13, 2014
proffemi:

Hope you are sure about the last part. Some results were approved in Senate yesterday.
Did you score 57,58,59,67,68 or 69 in any course in your final year?
No, I only scored 66Bs in two courses at
final semester/year. 67Bs are scored in
200level and 300.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 13, 2014
Realtol:
Thanks. It is still an advice

You are welcome. cool
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by proffemi: 7:03am On Sep 13, 2014
Realtol: No, I only scored 66Bs in two courses at final semester/year. 67Bs are scored in 200level and 300.

Then frankly, there doesn't appear to be much you can do.
Some departments actively "help" students like you. However, this practice is so easy to abuse that most departments just let the chips fall where they may. If your department is one of such, you have to accept, not take it personal, and move on.

The reason why I asked whether you scored within 3 marks of the next grade: marking is not an exact science. There is ALWAYS some margin for error. I usually put it at +/-2 marks or thereabouts. That means that a lecturer who scored you 45/60 in the exam could have scored you 47/60 at some other time. You could use this argument to approach any friendly lecturer to see whether 2 marks could emerge miraculously somewhere. Once you get to 59 or 69, most departments just bump you to the next grade. However, since you only scored 66, you may find it harder to convince anyone to help you.

In any case:

1) continue appealing to lecturers. You've got nothing to loose lose
2) Do NOT do anything shady. You may get the 2.1, but believe me, your conscience will nag you forever
3)If it turns out you're stuck with 3.49, take it on the chin and move on. I've known a number of people in your shoes, and the biggest danger is that you may allow yourself to wallow in self-pity and bitterness. Your CGPA is an aggregate obtained over 4/5 years and ~50 courses. It did not just become 3.49 today. It would be nice to get the bump, but if you don't, hey, you tried.

A smart guy would still find a way to play it to his advantage. It could make a good way to project tenacity and self-motivation (as well as score cheap pity points) at some interviews when you let them know that you lost 2-1 by that much, but pulled yourself up and used it to motivate yourself. What you want to do first at any interview is to stand out in a positive way, and perhaps, this could end up helping you do that?

All the best.

12 Likes

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Simplefaithy(m): 7:05am On Sep 13, 2014
Realtol:
Thanks, I quite understand your stand. It's just I have to at least try to do something on it, since there is nothing God cannot do. Perhaps by seeking advice and guidance solution can come... since there is no harm in that. Thank you very much!
. dis ur case to me is not a problem and can never be ( to me thou). I see it as trying to get wat u don't deserve. IMO. u re welcome
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by proffemi: 7:09am On Sep 13, 2014
Raiders: I don't think it will be rounded up to 2.1. I almost had the same problem. my last result before my I saw my project was 3.499 and I needed an A in project to make 3.5. Luckily, when the result came out I got an A and my final CGPA was 3.501. My HOD told me then that they don't round up GPA and I was lucky. You should go talk with your HOD or supervisor. I wish you good luck.

3.499 not equal to 5?? What is the name of your university, if I may ask?

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 7:18am On Sep 13, 2014
proffemi:

Then frankly, there doesn't appear to be much you can do.
Some departments actively "help" students like you. However, this practice is so easy to abuse that most departments just let the chips fall where they may. If your department is one of such, you have to accept, not take it personal, and move on.

The reason why I asked whether you scored within 3 marks of the next grade: marking is not an exact science. There is ALWAYS some margin for error. I usually put it at +/-2 marks or thereabouts. That means that a lecturer who scored you 45/60 in the exam could have scored you 47/60 at some other time. You could use this argument to approach any friendly lecturer to see whether 2 marks could emerge miraculously somewhere. Once you get to 59 or 69, most departments just bump you to the next grade. However, since you only scored 66, you may find it harder to convince anyone to help you.

In any case:

1) continue appealing to lecturers. You've got nothing to loose
2) Do NOT do anything shady. You may get the 2.1, but believe me, your conscience will nag you forever
3)If it turns out you're stuck with 3.49, take it on the chin and move on. I've known a number of people in your shoes, and the biggest danger is that you may allow yourself to wallow in self-pity and bitterness. Your CGPA is an aggregate obtained over 4/5 years and ~50 courses. It did not just become 3.49 today. It would be nice to get the bump, but if you don't, hey, you tried.

A smart guy would still find a way to play it to his advantage. It could make a good way to project tenacity and self-motivation (as well as score cheap pity points) at some interviews when you let them know that you lost 2-1 by that much, but pulled yourself up and used it to motivate yourself. What you want to do first at any interview is to stand out in a positive way, and perhaps, this could end up helping you do that?

All the best.
Wow! This is great, case closed. Thank you sir! With this advice I'm not going begging around again. At least, I would still have my pride (3:49) second class lower which I worked tirelessly for, not given.

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 7:23am On Sep 13, 2014
Simplefaithy: . dis ur case to me is not a problem and can never be ( to me thou). I see it as trying to get wat u don't deserve. IMO. u re welcome

I know I deserve it because I have been in the range of 3:81 - 3:51 from my part one day and only slipped at the last semester. Moreover, what do you call favour/grace (because that's exactly what I'm looking for in IMO though)? I'm going to take it as it is anyway. Thanks for your time.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by proffemi: 7:28am On Sep 13, 2014
Simplefaithy: . dis ur case to me is not a problem and can never be ( to me thou). I see it as trying to get wat u don't deserve. IMO. u re welcome

There is some tolerance in any measurement. For the CGPA, I assure you that the tolerance is up to +/- 0.01. In other words, statistically, a student with 2.23 and one with 2.24 are inseparable. 3.49 and 3.50 are essentially the same. Unfortunately, one number falls on the "right" side of a major divide, while the other does not. Hence, the OP's desire is understandable and even justifiable, inasmuch as he does not do anything illegal or unethical.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Simplefaithy(m): 7:33am On Sep 13, 2014
Realtol:

I know I deserve it because I have been in the range of 3:81 - 3:51 from my part one day and only slipped at the last semester. Moreover, what do you call favour/grace? I'm going to take it as it anyway. Thanks for your time
. it can be frustrating and I know dat . one tyn I know and believe is DAT everything has being ordained. never use such words. gud one, thanks for thanking me
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by oketoyinboshola(m): 7:40am On Sep 13, 2014
Realtol:
Thanks, I quite understand your stand. It's just I have to at least try to do something on it, since there is nothing God cannot do. Perhaps by seeking advice and guidance solution can come... since there is no harm in that. Thank you very much!
I Agree with you, if u try to lobby for good grades, this can bring bad omen to you, is better to leave it like that if you are sure of your handiwork during your stay in university. 2.1 or 2.2 don't determine your future. please don't lobby for grades.

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Simplefaithy(m): 7:42am On Sep 13, 2014
proffemi:

There is some tolerance in any measurement. For the CGPA, I assure you that the tolerance is up to +/- 0.01. In other words, statistically, a student with 2.23 and one with 2.24 are inseparable. 3.49 and 3.50 are essentially the same. Unfortunately, one number falls on the "right" side of a major divide, while the other does not. Hence, the OP's desire is understandable and even justifiable, inasmuch as he does not do anything illegal or unethical.
. 3.49 and 3.50 re separable and d diff is DAT one is 2.1 and oda is 2.2 . I can remember vividly how my dept examiner used to say DAT " it do pains him weneva he sees students cpga at 3.4889 3.49999 and and dia is nothing he can do cox d rule is dia and has bin stated. 2.1 starts from 3.5 and above
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by proffemi: 7:47am On Sep 13, 2014
Simplefaithy: . 3.49 and 3.50 re separable and d diff is DAT one is 2.1 and oda is 2.2 . I can remember vividly how my dept examiner used to say DAT " it do pains him weneva he sees students cpga at 3.4889 3.49999 and and dia is nothing he can do cox d rule is dia and has bin stated. 2.1 starts from 3.5 and above

I believe I said "one number falls on the right side of a major divide...". I'm sure you're not just trying to be pedantic.
I'm saying although the two numbers are different, if you did a study where you had N number of students, some with 3.49 and some with 3.50, you would not be able to tell which is which, even though some are "2.1" and some are "2.2".

By the way, this idea (also suggested above) that a CGPA of 3.4999(!) is not equal to 3.50, I want to know which university this is we're talking about. Just to be sure and all that.

1 Like

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Realtol(m): 7:53am On Sep 13, 2014
oketoyinboshola: I Agree with you, if u try to lobby for good grades, this can bring bad omen to you, is better to leave it like that if you are sure of your handiwork during your stay in university. 2.1 or 2.2 don't determine your future. please don't lobby for grades.
This why I love Nairaland - full of matured minds ready to give soul-lifting advice. I'm grateful for the advice.
I have never lobbied for grade and will not start now. Though it pains me to the marrow, I will take it as it is.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Simplefaithy(m): 8:02am On Sep 13, 2014
proffemi:

I believe I said "one number falls on the right side of a major divide...". I'm sure you're not just trying to be pedantic.
I'm saying although the two numbers are different, if you did a study where you had N number of students, some with 3.49 and some with 3.50, you would not be able to tell which is which, even though some are "2.1" and some are "2.2".

By the way, this idea (also suggested above) that a CGPA of 3.4999(!) is not equal to 3.50, I want to know which university this is we're talking about. Just to be sure and all that.
. if u say am pedantic on dis rule yes I am. cox @op is not and won't be last victim of dis particular tyn. his from oau me finished from unilorin.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by hushmail: 8:03am On Sep 13, 2014
bigtt76: Stop goung to your hostel. Sleep in class everyday until graduation. Make sure you also get distinction in your final project.

guy u read d write up at all

Smh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by proffemi: 8:12am On Sep 13, 2014
Simplefaithy: . if u say am pedantic on dis rule yes I am. cox @op is not and won't be last victim of dis particular tyn. his from oau me finished from unilorin.

Let me remind you that I made my original remark because you said the OP was trying to ask for something he didn't "deserve". Yes OP will graduate as a 2.2 student, and he has accepted that. However, you were wrong to be so dismissive initially.

I'll be surprised if Unilorin refuses to follow simple mathematical convention. I have helped process graduating results for a few years now, and unless different rules apply in some faculties, I assure you that in OAU, 3.495 = 3.50 (per secondary school mathematics).
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Simplefaithy(m): 8:48am On Sep 13, 2014
proffemi:

Let me remind you that I made my original remark because you said the OP was trying to ask for something he didn't "deserve". Yes OP will graduate as a 2.2 student, and he has accepted that. However, you were wrong to be so dismissive initially.

I'll be surprised if Unilorin refuses to follow simple mathematical convention. I have helped process graduating results for a few years now, and unless different rules apply in some faculties, I assure you that in OAU, 3.495 = 3.50 (per secondary school mathematics).
. I won't be surprise oooo. cox many pple av fall victim of it, buh if I av my way and av d power first klaz will start from 4.0 and second klaz upper from 3.0. I rest my case hia.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by Raiders: 8:56am On Sep 13, 2014
proffemi:

3.499 not equal to 5?? What is the name of your university, if I may ask?
University of Port Harcourt. Like I stated previously, My school don't round up CGPA, I know this because I was almost in the same situation as the OP during my stay in Uniport and I spoke with my HOD. Different schools have their own policy. some schools especially private universities do round up their CGPA.
Re: 3:49 CGPA, What Is The Way Forward Please? Your Advice Is Needed. by gsparks01(m): 8:57am On Sep 13, 2014
my Bro graduated with 3.48. One problem he admitted was that he met too many ppl to fix that. After it was late, his HOD(I think) said "you should have come to me, it's a simple thing. " Anyway he still went for a Masters programme abroad and got that 2.1 he was denied

so, if you want to push it, ur HOD might be the right person OR you let everything fall in place. God bless you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Open Letter To IGP Over Plight Of Teachers In Police Schools By Joseph Anjorin / UNIJOS JAMB Cut-off Score? / Is Commerce A Social Science Subject?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.