Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,154 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

How Do You Engage A Toddler - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Engage A Toddler (812 Views)

Maid Who Savagely Beat Ugandan Toddler To Face Attempted Murder Charge / A Toddler Smoking On Easter Sunday (Pictures) / Illness Causes 20-year-old To Look-like A Toddler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Engage A Toddler by Abrilla(f): 1:51pm On Sep 15, 2014
My husband feels my daughter of 2yrs plus should study her books rather than watching cartoons or riding her bike
She is just like every normal child who destroys one or two stuffs within her reach
Like my ipad screen
My laptop keyboard,2 buttons re off
We had a very hot disagreement yesterday,and now we are not talking
I don't believe in flogging a child of her age
I feel with time she will get the message
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by Kanwulia: 1:56pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ask your parents, not NL! wink
How did you study as a toddler?
Una get IPad for una village?

Please, stop using an innocent toddler to buffer marital squabbles!

The problem is not with your toddler.

Thanks! kiss
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 15, 2014
Please don't lay a finger on that child she's way to young , there are ways to engage a little child instead of resulting to the hard way .

You can start by buying educational cartoons , charts and materials like puzzles and others instead of watching cartoon then try to keep things that can easily be destroyed away from her.
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by thorpido(m): 2:03pm On Sep 15, 2014
2years?She's still a toddler.What does your husband want her to study?Calculus?
Let him take it easy.She will outgrow this stage.Just guide her....

It's the responsibility of adults to keep things that can be destroyed from toddlers.
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by Kanwulia: 2:08pm On Sep 15, 2014
I smell SEXXXXXUAL frustrehshun and serious AGRO! cheesy

Na today?
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 15, 2014
That is what is killing this generation.

We are blessed with sharp kids in this generation but what do we feed them with? Over-pampering...

I bet your husband is like me that takes every little time to look at other discoveries and looking at other kids making headway in scientific findings..... If you ask the parents of such kids, they will tell you that those kids were made to kiss their studies always ever since they could grab something...

See, its for the better o jare... Dont you want your kid to be the first Nigerian solving calculus at 5Yrs? I want am o!
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by blank(f): 2:36pm On Sep 15, 2014
In as much as i want my kids to be reading calculus by Age 5, i also want them to enjoy their childhood and have fun. This is the only time they can have fun and not really have consequences. As long as they are developing okay, i haven no issues at all.

She can't read books for 24hrs, in the same vein she can't watch cartoons and ride her book for most of the day. Why not have a balanced calendar like they have in schools for kids their age. At 2yrs, they cannot be focused on something for more than an hr so you need to break it up and give her varieties.

Start with singing and playing instruments for like 20mins. Then give her a book to scribble. Give her some colouring books and pencils for another 20mins. Then read a story to her and ask her questions to ensure that she understood. Teach her phonics then help her with some arts and craft. When she is getting tired, let her sleep. Then she wakes up and rides her bike outside. Point out different things for her to learn. Like show her birds, sand, stones (make sure u stress the colours) etc. Then she can come in and watch educational cartoons for a bit before you give her legos to play with.

People don't understand that she can learn a lot thru unstructured play where her imagination runs wild and creativity is born. Reading books alone will ensure you are an employee but creative play makes you an inventor.
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by Abrilla(f): 2:37pm On Sep 15, 2014
She has all you listed but prefers cartoons

Elantracey: Please don't lay a finger on that child she's way to young , there are ways to engage a little child instead of resulting to the hard way .

You can start by buying educational cartoons , charts and materials like puzzles and others instead of watching cartoon then try to keep things that can easily be destroyed away from her.
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 15, 2014
Abrilla: She has all you listed but prefers cartoons

That's where you come into play , keep away the cartoons for a while , off course she'll cry but crying can't kill a child , now am beginning to get your husband's point , you over pamper her but don't lay a finger on her.
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by Abrilla(f): 2:42pm On Sep 15, 2014
She does all you listed but within a very short time she is tired
Am not home all day and am not sure her nanny will do all I can do for her
Next thing she is calling names of cartoons she wants to watch
Sincerely watching cartoons keeps her occupied than others

blank: In as much as i want my kids to be reading calculus by Age 5, i also want them to enjoy their childhood and have fun. This is the only time they can have fun and not really have consequences. As long as they are developing okay, i haven no issues at all.

She can't read books for 24hrs, in the same vein she can't watch cartoons and ride her book for most of the day. Why not have a balanced calendar like they have in schools for kids their age. At 2yrs, they cannot be focused on something for more than an hr so you need to break it up and give her varieties.

Start with singing and playing instruments for like 20mins. Then give her a book to scribble. Give her some colouring books and pencils for another 20mins. Then read a story to her and ask her questions to ensure that she understood. Teach her phonics then help her with some arts and craft. When she is getting tired, let her sleep. Then she wakes up and rides her bike outside. Point out different things for her to learn. Like show her birds, sand, stones (make sure u stress the colours) etc. Then she can come in and watch educational cartoons for a bit before you give her legos to play with.

People don't understand that she can learn a lot thru unstructured play where her imagination runs wild and creativity is born. Reading books alone will ensure you are an employee but creative play makes you an inventor.
Re: How Do You Engage A Toddler by blank(f): 2:48pm On Sep 15, 2014
Abrilla: She does all you listed but within a very short time she is tired
Am not home all day and am not sure her nanny will do all I can do for her
Next thing she is calling names of cartoons she wants to watch
Sincerely watching cartoons keeps her occupied than others

I actually thought you were at home with her that is why i listed out those things.

I always prefer outside play to cartoons cos cartoons can just dumb a baby down especially these new ones coming up.

I limit my tv watching to max 3hrs a day and i space it out for them. 1 hr in the morning, 1 hr in the afternoon and 1 hr in the evening.

In between, they play outside with balls, bikes, make believe toys.

My 2 yr old loves legos and can play with them for hours.

(1) (Reply)

. / Fairytales Of Life And Death By Lofty900 / Is It OK To Be Naked In Front Of Your Kids?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.