Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,621 members, 7,827,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors (967 Views)

Police Shut Enugu Church As Pastors, Supporters Engage In Free-for-all / Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! / Native Doctors, Occultic Men Now Operate As Pastors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by bigass(f): 4:46pm On Sep 15, 2014
"Let the women keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but let them subject themselves, just as the Law also says. And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church."
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by Idrismusty97(m): 4:56pm On Sep 15, 2014

1 Like

Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ok then what next undecided
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by tpia1: 5:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
where in that verse are pastors mentioned?

stop quoting the bible out of context.

here is the whole passage, referring to specific situations:

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.

28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop.

31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged.

32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets.

33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.

35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

36 Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached?

37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command.

38 But if anyone ignores this, they will themselves be ignored.

39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

note the bolded!

and please do not go and open a thread asking if its mandatory for women to have husbands!!!!!!
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by bigass(f): 5:41pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1: where in that verse are pastors mentioned?

stop quoting the bible out of context.

here is the whole passage, referring to specific situations:

note the bolded!

and please do not go and open a thread asking if its mandatory for women to have husbands!!!!!!
34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.

you cant argue against the Bible. women are not permitted to speak/teach in church. have you ever wondered why Jesus chose an all-men disciples?

Can you show me in the bible where a woman led a church? Meanwhile we have a lot of them.
Late pastor Odukoya, etc Mrs Oyakhilome leads Christ Embassy church in London. What an abomination! So men will sit down and listen to woman preach and pray for them?
God has His standards and can not be changed by mere men

1 Like

Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 15, 2014
bigass:

you cant argue against the Bible. women are not permitted to speak/teach in church. have you ever wondered why Jesus chose an all-men disciples?

Can you show me in the bible where a woman led a church? Meanwhile we have a lot of them.
Late pastor Odukoya, etc Mrs Oyakhilome leads Christ Embassy church in London. What an abomination! So men will sit down and listen to woman preach and pray for them?

Continue slaving, bigass. The world has left you behind. Far behind.
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by tiswell(m): 5:58pm On Sep 15, 2014
bigass:

Word!
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by bigass(f): 6:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
hifaif:

Continue slaving, bigass. The world has left you behind. Far behind.

That means the world has left God behind. The Bible can not be Interpreted to soothe our desires. That something is a norm does not make it right. Everybody engages in premarital sex and matter of fact seen as norm but when God wields His power Gal 5:19 (19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.)will holds sway
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 15, 2014
bigass:

That means the world has left God behind. The Bible can not be Interpreted to soothe our desires. That something is a norm does not make it right. Everybody engages in premarital sex and matter of fact seen as norm but when God wields His power Gal 5:19 (19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.)will holds sway

Wake up, girl. Men wrote the bible and they wrote it at a time when women enjoyed relatively few privileges. If men can teach, why not women, if they are capable?
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by bigass(f): 6:27pm On Sep 15, 2014
hifaif:

Wake up, girl. Men wrote the bible and they wrote it at a time when women enjoyed relatively few privileges. If men can teach, why not women, if they are capable?

Human Reasoning. back then adultery carried death sentence now its the norm. Same should apply too na
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by urheme: 6:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
bigass: "Let the women keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but let them subject themselves, just as the Law also says. And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church."

The laws of our land prohibit all forms of discrimination against women, man and woman is equal before the law, your bible law is inferior to the law of the land,

Any law that tend to degrade women and treat them less equal to men must be prohibited,
Any church which preach any doctrine that is contrary to the laws of the land must be sanctioned and shut down.

A woman can be anything she wish to be and with her position can exercise authority over men,
Soon a woman shall be president of nigeria isha Allah

bigass:

Am surprise a female is writing this rubbish in an era of female empowerment and liberation,

You have been given fredom from discrimination on the ground of sex and yet you wish to subject your self to bondage, so progress to you is an abomination huh?,

If any man does not want to be subjected to the authority of a female pastor they will go somewhere else or is their bombom glue to the church, shwooooo!!!!
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by bigass(f): 6:35pm On Sep 15, 2014
^^^^
This is not about female discrimination. The bible clearly delegates specific spiritual roles for both sexes in the bible. Female leadership of a church is not permitted in the bible.
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 15, 2014
bigass:

Human Reasoning. back then adultery carried death sentence now its the norm. Same should apply too na

That should tell you that we are presently in the 21st century. Things have changed. We have become more respectful of one another's fundamental human rights. You know what, sweetheart, just forget about all these tales by moonlight and start living your life positively. Be good to people and stop supporting books that abuse your rights as a human being and make you look less human or lump you together with kids
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by urheme: 6:48pm On Sep 15, 2014
@bigass, God is bigger than the bible, bigger than what people say,
The bible is not a standard for God, it is for teaching,
God has poured His spirit inside you, the word of God is within you, we serve God in spirit and not with bible verses.

Please go and pastor your church if you have a calling, is not sin and not crime either
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by bigass(f): 6:59pm On Sep 15, 2014
urheme: @bigass, God is bigger than the bible, bigger than what people say,
The bible is not a standard for God, it is for teaching,
God has poured His spirit inside you, the word of God is within you, we serve God in spirit and not with bible verses.

Please go and pastor your church if you have a calling, is not sin and not crime either

I believe you are confused or how would i explain All you said above. "God is bigger than bible". The bible is God's word and guides all we do. We can not subtract or add to it. Calling ko shouting ni. So same God who you claim are calling some women now refuse to call them back then? Let Bible be your guide. No wonder many people worship pastors.
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by bigass(f): 7:05pm On Sep 15, 2014
hifaif:

That should tell you that we are presently in the 21st century. Things have changed. We have become more respectful of one another's fundamental human rights. You know what, sweetheart, just forget about all these tales by moonlight and start living your life positively. Be good to people and stop supporting books that abuse your rights as a human being and make you look less human or lump you together with kids

I thought you will get my point. My point is, the world sees immorality as norm yet, God Punishment did not change. Modernization and women liberation fighters will not change Gods view on women roles and His standards in church
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 15, 2014
bigass:

I thought you will get my point. My point is, the world sees immorality as norm yet, God Punishment did not change. Modernization and women liberation fighters will not change Gods view on women roles and His standards in church

I give up.
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by tpia1: 8:30pm On Sep 15, 2014
bigass:

you are simply typing ignorantly, you should work on increasing your cognition instead of boasting about your rear end.

can you name the churches in the bible and their leaders?

Jesus chose all male disciples, did he call them pastors?
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by Joshtos: 9:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
bigass:

He is right@bigass. But the word of God don't change with time when it comes to sin but it changes when it comes to the way people or the society is organized. And also our relationship with Him.

bigass: "Let the women keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but let them subject themselves, just as the Law also says. And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church."

Another passage in the bible said "For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus". Galatians 3:27-28

Dont think the word of God is contradicting itself but if you dig deep into the historical background of when it was written, you will see Corithians was written before Galatians.

I think that answers your question @bigass
Re: 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Does Not Support Ordaining Women As Pastors by Joshtos: 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2014
bigass:

What about Deborah?? Mind you, she was a judge over the whole of Israel and she did exploits. What about that wink

(1) (Reply)

Apostle Johnson Suleman Reveals 2015 Prophecies / Atheists What Do You Do When... / 10 Contradictions In The Bible With Quotations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.