Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,353 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

World's Top Ten Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / World's Top Ten Universities (1922 Views)

Ten Universities With The Fastest Academic Calender 2016 / University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Top 800 Universities / Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's Top Ten Universities by fairheven: 12:17pm On Sep 16, 2014
Top 10 universities 2014: QS World University Rankings
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
2. Imperial College London and University of Cambridge (joint second)
4. Harvard University
5. University College London and University of Oxford (joint fifth)
7. Stanford University
8. California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
9. Princeton
10. Yale

MIT is the highest rated university in the world for the third year in succession
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is in first place in the latest league table of the world's best universities.

It's the third year in a row that the US university, famous for its science and technology research, has been top of the QS World University Rankings.

Another science-based university, Imperial College London, is in joint second place along with Cambridge University.

Behind these in fourth place is Harvard University, the world's wealthiest university. And two more UK universities share joint fifth place, University College London and Oxford.

With King's College London in 16th place, it means that London has three institutions in the top 20.

Even though some university leaders might be sceptical about such rankings, they will all be sharply aware of their significance.

Mike Nicholson, Oxford University's head of admissions, says: "It's fair to say that it would be a foolish university that did not pay close attention to how league tables are constructed."

Rankings have become an inescapable part of the reputation and brand image of universities, helping them to attract students, staff and research investment.

No university website is complete without the claim to be in the top 100 for something or other.

How to be top

But what is perhaps more surprising is that they are a relatively recent arrival on the higher education landscape.

This is only the tenth year of the QS rankings and the earliest global league table, the Academic Ranking of World Universities, produced by the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, was first published in 2003.

Imperial College London has risen to second place in the global rankings
They have risen alongside the globalisation of higher education and the sharing of information online.

But how does a university get to the top of the rankings? And why does such a small group of institutions seem to have an iron grip on the top places?

The biggest single factor in the QS rankings is academic reputation. This is calculated by surveying more than 60,000 academics around the world about their opinion on the merits of institutions other than their own.

Ben Sowter, managing director of the QS, says this means that universities with an established name and a strong brand are likely to do better.

The next biggest factor - "citations per faculty" - looks at the strength of research in universities, calculated in terms of the number of times research work is cited by other researchers.

The ratio of academic staff to students represents another big chunk of how the rankings are decided.

Big brands

These three elements, reputation, research citations and staff ratios, account for four-fifths of the rankings. And there are also marks for being more international, in terms of academic staff and students.

"Academic reputation" is the biggest single factor in these rankings
As a template for success, it means that the winners are likely to be large, prestigious, research-intensive universities, with strong science departments and lots of international collaborations.

Is that a fair way to rank universities? It makes no reference to the quality of teaching or the abilities of students?

"We don't take an exhaustive view of what universities are doing," says Mr Sowter.

"It's always going to be a blunt instrument," which he says is both the strength and weakness of such lists..BBC
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by missdebs(f): 1:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
fp material *wink*
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by amakufrancis(m): 2:04pm On Sep 16, 2014
front page things...
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by Aidy97(f): 2:04pm On Sep 16, 2014
Spacebooked
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by fairheven: 2:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
Aidy97: Spacebooked
With ur BRT BUS ba? grin LASTMA is watching u.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World's Top Ten Universities by Aidy97(f): 2:19pm On Sep 16, 2014
fairheven:
With ur BRT BUS ba? grin LASTMA is watching u.
My keke napep
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by fairheven: 2:32pm On Sep 16, 2014
Aidy97:
My keke napep
Agbero is wasin u then cool
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by emeralddayo(f): 2:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
eyeing MIT...God help me
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by rattlesnake(m): 3:07pm On Sep 16, 2014
emeralddayo: eyeing MIT...God help me
to go n do what there?
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by Donfamous(m): 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
Booking space without aving anything to type God AV mercy
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by iamsegsy(m): 5:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
no African university?? wat of UNILORIN dis list is damn bias undecided
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by PrinceAdepoju(m): 6:23pm On Sep 16, 2014
undecided
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by fairheven: 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
iamsegsy: no African university?? wat of UNILORIN dis list is damn bias undecided
University of ilorin?that will happen in the year 3035 grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World's Top Ten Universities by 30secs(m): 6:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
!
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by CzarChris(m): 6:56pm On Sep 16, 2014
Nice, anybody got an idea what Imperial College London's fees a like? How competitive are their admissions and chances of a secondary school graduate from 9ja getting in. I've got someone gunning for that school.
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2014
When will naija universitie's join the list?
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by Profcamsey(m): 7:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
I av always love Havard. I dont book space. Mod should do something to this space bookers
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by Profcamsey(m): 7:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
I av always love Havard. I dont book space. Mod should do something to these space bookers
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by fairheven: 7:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
Profcamsey: I av always love Havard. I dont book space. Mod should do something to these space bookers
Havard has always been at number 2.position,wonder what made them come down
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 16, 2014
CzarChris: Nice, anybody got an idea what Imperial College London's fees a like? How competitive are their admissions and chances of a secondary school graduate from 9ja getting in. I've got someone gunning for that school.

Chief, why not send him or her to Canada or the US, there are cheaper schools in Canada with options for scholarships, Valuable experience and possible after school jobs. You can Google it yourself.
Cheers.
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by fairheven: 7:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
emeralddayo: eyeing MIT...God help me
Whatever ur mind can conceive,your hands can achieve
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by Kendzyma(m): 7:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
fairheven:
University of ilorin?that will happen in the year 3035 grin
d bolded should possibly b er position in world ranking

1 Like

Re: World's Top Ten Universities by fairheven: 7:41pm On Sep 16, 2014
Kendzyma: d bolded should possibly b er position in world ranking
grin better still in African ranking
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by mideoti(f): 9:08pm On Sep 16, 2014
Yay! MIT!!!, My cousin graduated from that school as one of the top five........ So proud of Bosun Adeoti! cheesy
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by CzarChris(m): 9:26pm On Sep 16, 2014
Three7Ty9:

Chief, why not send him or her to Canada or the US, there are cheaper schools in Canada with options for scholarships, Valuable experience and possible after school jobs. You can Google it yourself.
Cheers.
Thanks though, I've actually checked googled imperial college, but no dice.
But i'll check Canada, thanks for the info.
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by haxorDelite(m): 10:20pm On Sep 16, 2014
mideoti: Yay! MIT!!!, My cousin graduated from that school as one of the top five........ So proud of Bosun Adeoti! cheesy
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by haxorDelite(m): 10:21pm On Sep 16, 2014
mideoti: Yay! MIT!!!, My cousin graduated from that school as one of the top five........ So proud of Bosun Adeoti! cheesy
hmmm story
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by nifton(m): 11:03pm On Sep 16, 2014
Am luving dis thread.
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 16, 2014
CzarChris: Thanks though, I've actually checked googled imperial college, but no dice.
But i'll check Canada, thanks for the info.

Anytime Chief.
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by cc150615(f): 11:52pm On Sep 16, 2014
nd You graduated from...... as........?
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by masterplan303(m): 4:43am On Sep 17, 2014
Reski: When will naija universitie's join the list?
a day before jesus come grin
Re: World's Top Ten Universities by mideoti(f): 5:05am On Sep 17, 2014
cc150615:
nd You graduated from...... as........?

Am still 17, a 300 level student of Osun State University, Faculty of Law. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Throwback: Do You Remember This?! (pic) / Can You Identify This Plant? / Proposed Format For UNILAG Post Utme Screening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.