Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Life Dilemma. Career Vs Friendship. ADVICE NEEDED - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Life Dilemma. Career Vs Friendship. ADVICE NEEDED (898 Views)

Career Vs. Marriage - Women's Dilemma / Career Vs. Current Earning & Ndic Recruitment Test / The Future Of Information Technology Career Vs Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life Dilemma. Career Vs Friendship. ADVICE NEEDED by schiphol003: 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2014
Good day wise NLs
Please I need your advice on this issue and I will so much appreciate your words.
I am a guy of about 25. I finished with 2:1 from from one of the federal schools. I finished early 2013, but was deployed batch A 2014.

I got a job in one of the top companies in my field mid November, 2013. The company didn't ask for my nysc certificate so it was no issue. They probably assumed I have it.

When it was time to go for NYSC in February 2014, I almost decided I will defer it when a guy who had always been seeking my help offered to fill in for me. I didn't give it much thought so I consented.

The help he needed from me was to help him in his school exams. He is a final year student in one of the schools in the North. As at the time of our initial discussion of the deal, I was not employed, I was just a graduate, sleeping, waiting for nysc.

After he offered to help me with my nysc, I sensed that he was going to use it as barter for his deal but didn't object cos I had no issues with helping him either.

Everything went on smoothly. I have been working since then. I have also helped him to write his harmattan exam. He goes to Cross River every month to fill in for me. I traveled to his school to write tests and exam for my guy.

Here is the problem. I have just been transfered recently from Lagos to IB and I have assumed new office with greater responsibilities. In short, right now I can't even leave for 2 days without queries or sack.
I love my job and I love my guy. His exam is coming up next month and I'm sure I'll disappoint.

I earn like 90k per month on my job. I am sure it's not a job u get everyday. It is a career job and I'm willing to ditch my guy for it. Please advise on how to handle the situation.

Thanks in advance
Re: Life Dilemma. Career Vs Friendship. ADVICE NEEDED by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 16, 2014
schiphol003:
Thanks in advance
You aint helping your career with these machineries of a thing and you may spoil ya name very soon .... Writing exam 4sm1 and you can put it online ... Una get mind o !

Make i MMOB sha , Look for a machinery that will fill in for your friend and be responsible for the payment, IB is home of Machineries and give such machinery the details/corners needed to be cut .... Shikena !!!
Re: Life Dilemma. Career Vs Friendship. ADVICE NEEDED by schiphol003: 5:41pm On Sep 17, 2014
Thanks for the advice
Re: Life Dilemma. Career Vs Friendship. ADVICE NEEDED by xfire: 6:31pm On Sep 17, 2014
schiphol003: Thanks in advance
You probably were shortsighted when you decided to allow someone to fill in for you. So whose picture is on the NYSC ID card? Who signs on your behalf? What if he decides to blackmail you in the future? What if you are caught while writing exams for him? What if your company suddenly decides to ask for your NYSC certificate and someone notices some discrepancy in timing? There are ma ny 'what-ifs' but the deed is already done anyway.
I will advise you to either quit your job, or take a leave of absence to complete your service. Graduates get job after service. Besides this is just a 90k per month job. You can earn more after service. I know you like the field but who says you can't get a better opportunity after service? And even if that does not happen, at least you took the right action.
This is the best advice I can offer

Cheers.......

2 Likes

Re: Life Dilemma. Career Vs Friendship. ADVICE NEEDED by schiphol003: 11:32pm On Sep 17, 2014
xfire:
You probably were shortsighted when you decided to allow someone to fill in for you. So whose picture is on the NYSC ID card? Who signs on your behalf? What if he decides to blackmail you in the future? What if you are caught while writing exams for him? What if your company suddenly decides to ask for your NYSC certificate and someone notices some discrepancy in timing? There are ma ny 'what-ifs' but the deed is already done anyway.
I will advise you to either quit your job, or take a leave of absence to complete your service. Graduates get job after service. Besides this is just a 90k per month job. You can earn more after service. I know you like the field but who says you can't get a better opportunity after service? And even if that does not happen, at least you took the right action.
This is the best advice I can offer

Cheers.......
At first I thought your advice was extremely harsh and utterly wayward. I must say that's because I'm not expecting anything close to blunt answer. After all, this is a country where cutting corners is not unpopular. I could not help but take a peek at this dude's (your) profile.
As against my expectations, I thanked the stars that you even dropped by.
I was so immersed in your thread that I missed the UCL matches. It was like the Phantom punch - didn't see it coming. I didn't blink until I suck all in.
I cannot thank you enough for all your posts. They are the best I've seen in a cyberspace.
Although I'm just 25, I almost fit into your initial self.
How I wish I could heed your advice. You remember the part where the family needs you to survive?
Although there is the option of "Ghost Mode" for my nysc which I think should not be difficult to activate. My real concern is how to handle my guy.

Thanks once again for your answers
*I apologize for any derogatory/abusive/disrespectful words that may be contained herein

2 Likes

Re: Life Dilemma. Career Vs Friendship. ADVICE NEEDED by schiphol003: 5:31pm On Sep 29, 2014
donroxy:
Make i MMOB sha , Look for a machinery that will fill in for your friend and be responsible for the payment, IB is home of Machineries and give such machinery the details/corners needed to be cut .... Shikena !!!

Can you help me with that level?
Re: Life Dilemma. Career Vs Friendship. ADVICE NEEDED by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 29, 2014
schiphol003:

Can you help me with that level?
No, I don't because I've never been on that level before !!

(1) (Reply)

10 Life Lessons Every Nigerian Student Should Know Before Graduating From School / Gtbank Marketing On Saturday And Sunday / More Reason Why You Should Use Your Real Name On Facebook Et Al

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.