Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,839 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. (3216 Views)

How Do You Feel About Atheists / Joagbaje’s Miracle HIV Healing Claim Debunked / Why Do People Hold On To Grudge(s)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:29pm On Sep 23, 2014
Well, this is my view about a Christian turning into Athiest.

I think the way the world is evolving, the way the Christians we look up to and prominent ones soil the image of true christianity, it makes it easy for a christian to deconvert and be an atheist.

Moreso, there are some thought provoking questions that needs about christianity that answers, but since no one really knows, -we really act on faith and hope,- so it makes it easier to leave.

Also, christians who deconvert havent had a conviction of the existence of God, they just hear it.
It's like you are asked to believe in the existence of someone u don't know. It'll be hard, but if its someone you've encountered before it'll be quite easy.
It'll be quite good if they have an encounter with God.

Well, i am trying to understand d view in which christians who have deconvert see it.
I hope to have diff views tho, from those that have deconverted.

But i don't think it's d best alternative to deconvert, not when it's so close.
I do respect athiest tho, the just and upright ones.

Wish they can be convinced in the existence of God.

P.S: I've once being on d road to be an athiest, and i love arguing with christians brothers, they think i am a bad boi or i am an athiest, but i just do it to reaffirm some beliefs.

I hope i made sense.

#Shallom
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by Emmalot121(m): 11:30pm On Sep 23, 2014
Xcapist:

My brother this is also one of my problems oo. It seem like god framed humanity at the very beginning. A kind of set up for blackmail. Of all the bondless expanse of our universe (and other universes if there are) he chose to exile the talking serpent, lucifer (the very one that was giving him problem in his own heaven),
to the earth he has just newly created, good and perfect. That's number one. Two. he planted temptation right in the centre of the garden, ko? Three. He gave man freewill to plug and eat, in his foreknowledge, knowing fully well that we'll fail. Because you can't tell me that man's failure took God by surprise, he wasn't like "oh, no! I didn't see that coming!!" he knew we'll plug and eat even before he created us.

What will you feel about a lecturer that gives you a shotgun quiz just to fail you?

Back to your analogy, what mother would frame her child up with meat so that when (not IF) he fails she can flogged the hell out of him (pun not intended)? In my opinion, a useless, sadistic mother. Or a stepmother lols
God did not in any way know man was going to sin, in fact it was Eve that sinned, which made Adam, for the fear of loosing his companion, made him take the fruit.Hear what God has to say about man............for I repenteth that I have made man.Gen 7 vs7.Even the tone with which God cursed Adam and his wife showed his utmost sadness and disappointment.
In case you don't know who satan was and you pity him, have this link http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Islamic%20Muslim/islam_exposed.htm (know about Islam).Even Christ wept that, after all this while that I've been telling you that I'm Emmanuel(God with us), why still don't you believe I can raise Lazarus I created.
In fact, the earth had existed long before man was created(gap theory),that was why God did not create water, sand in the first day and Satan was on earth when God was remodeling the earth http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evolution%20Hoax/gap_theorists_defended.htm . In case you are trying to defend lucifer(I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High Isaiah 14 vs 14), have this link http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer%27s%20Corner/Doctrines/satan.htm
God has relentlessly tried to help you and me......................... O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not! sad
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by BossTtdiamonds(m): 11:32pm On Sep 23, 2014
Xcapist:

grin thank you for allowing me have my own view. And nice meeting you bro. *shakes hand* Have you seen My Name is Khan, the Indian movie? The main character always introduces himself saying "My name is Khan, and I'm not a terrorist" Lol. I just imagine him saying "my name is BossTtdiamonds, and I'm not a hero".

I dislike that movie..honestly.. 3 idiots and Slum Dog Millionaire.. those are the only Indian movies I can vouch for
I figured bein' an hero would be quite expensive..
First I'd have to get a cape..and most colors are already taken so I'll have to make a rainbow cape.. and it would look kinda Gay.. and honestly I am Homophobic..
Then I'd have to conceal my identity, probably build a cabin in the woods and buy a generator to get power bla bla bla..
It actually very expensive bein' an hero...

I'd actually love to see your view.. Maybe I'll have one last laugh b4 I go to sleep..
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by BossTtdiamonds(m): 11:37pm On Sep 23, 2014
LogoDWhiz: Well, this is my view about a Christian turning into Athiest.

I think the way the world is evolving, the way the Christians we look up to and prominent ones soil the image of true christianity, it makes it easy for a christian to deconvert and be an atheist.

Moreso, there are some thought provoking questions that needs about christianity that answers, but since no one really knows, -we really act on faith and hope,- so it makes it easier to leave.

Also, christians who deconvert havent had a conviction of the existence of God, they just hear it.
It's like you are asked to believe in the existence of someone u don't know. It'll be hard, but if its someone you've encountered before it'll be quite easy.

Well, i am trying to understand d view in which christians who have deconvert see it.

P.S: I've once being on d road to be an athiest, and i love arguing with christians brothers, they think i am a bad boi or i am an athiest, but i just do it to reaffirm some beliefs.

I hope i made sense.

#Shallom

Are you a hero??... Cause this post sure makes you look like one...
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:44pm On Sep 23, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

Are you a hero??... Cause this post sure makes you look like one...

lol..

Why are u being sarcastic? Cos i can't see any indication from my post to suggest that i claim to be a hero.
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by BossTtdiamonds(m): 11:51pm On Sep 23, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

lol..

Why are u being sarcastic? Cos i can't see any indication from my post to suggest that i claim to be a hero.

The Hero's don't see themselves as hero's

Here are Some indications that you are indeed a hero..

LogoDWhiz:

I hope i made sense.
#Shallom
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 23, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

I dislike that movie..honestly.. 3 idiots and Slum Dog Millionaire.. those are the only Indian movies I can vouch for
I figured bein' an hero would be quite expensive..
First I'd have to get a cape..and most colors are already taken so I'll have to make a rainbow cape.. and it would look kinda Gay.. and honestly I am Homophobic..
Then I'd have to conceal my identity, probably build a cabin in the woods and buy a generator to get power bla bla bla..
It actually very expensive bein' an hero...

I'd actually love to see your view.. Maybe I'll have one last laugh b4 I go to sleep..

Hahaha, I see you've already worked out the logistics. Have you thought of a name? The generator part is hilarious. grin I like Slum Dog Millionaire, but I LOVVVEE 3 Idiots!! It made so much sense to me. I don't think I can give you your last laugh for the night though undecided wish I could. Buenas noches mi amigo.
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 24, 2014
Emmalot121: God did not in any way know man was going to sin , in fact it was Eve that sinned, which made Adam, for the fear of loosing his companion, made him take the fruit.Hear what God has to say about man............for I repenteth that I have made man.Gen 7 vs7 .Even the tone with which God cursed Adam and his wife showed his utmost sadness and disappointment.
In case you don't know who satan was and you pity him, have this link http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Islamic%20Muslim/islam_exposed.htm (know about Islam).Even Christ wept that, after all this while that I've been telling you that I'm Emmanuel(God with us), why still don't you believe I can raise Lazarus I created.
In fact, the earth had existed long before man was created(gap theory),that was why God did not create water, sand in the first day and Satan was on earth when God was remodeling the earth http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evolution%20Hoax/gap_theorists_defended.htm . In case you are trying to defend lucifer(I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High Isaiah 14 vs 14), have this link http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer%27s%20Corner/Doctrines/satan.htm
God has relentlessly tried to help you and me......................... O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not! sad

Hmmm, Sir Emmy, you make me want to ask what brand of Christianity you're practising. I'm really curious. Are you trying to tell me that God can "not" know? That he's not omniscient? If he's not all knowing then that makes even him liable to making mistakes and "repenteth"-ing of his mistakes. But doesn't the bible teach that he makes no mistakes and his ways are perfect? If he regrets and repents then he's not perfect in that sense. This is some confusing stuff brother Emma. As for the devil I have no case with him in the context of the current argument.

And I think you should bolster this your "gap theory" well. When did Christians start having theories in their doctrines?

2 Likes

Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by BossTtdiamonds(m): 12:17am On Sep 24, 2014
Xcapist:

Hahaha, I see you've already worked out the logistics. Have you thought of a name? The generator part is hilarious. grin I like Slum Dog Millionaire, but I LOVVVEE 3 Idiots!! It made so much sense to me. I don't think I can give you your last laugh for the night though undecided wish I could. Buenas noches mi amigo.

Well The good one's have already been taken.. Superman, Batman, Green lantern..
Never really thought about a name...Since I dropped the idea of becoming one..
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by Nobody: 12:23am On Sep 24, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

Well The good one's have already been taken.. Superman, Batman, Green lantern..
Never really thought about a name...Since I dropped the idea of becoming one..

I use to watch JCTV when I was younger and they had a very interesting show The Bibleman. *reminiscences* Ever seen it? I rather you picked something without a "man" postfix as that is already too cliché. Ah, what am I saying sef...you're Not a/an Hero cheesy
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by LogoDWhiz(m): 1:23am On Sep 24, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

The Hero's don't see themselves as hero's

Here are Some indications that you are indeed a hero..

Okay.

Still don't believe tho
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by MizMyColi(f): 4:29am On Sep 24, 2014
chibwike: are you an atheist

shocked shocked
How did you get here?!

Well some hold the view that I'm one proud, double standard Atheist.

I can relate with some Atheistic views too cheesy

So I just play along when it's called for.

But I do believe in God.
wink
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by Tallesty1(m): 6:19am On Sep 24, 2014
MizMyColi:

shocked shocked
How did you get here?!

But I do believe in God.
wink
You Are A Christian Atheistundecidedsad
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by BossTtdiamonds(m): 6:19am On Sep 24, 2014
MizMyColi:

shocked shocked
How did you get here?!

But I do believe in God.
wink

Madam.. If I we're the Nigerian Police, I'd have arrested you now for mis-information...

You said you're an Atheist..now you said you do believe in God...

You're Under arrest for confusin' and stressin' me...

*Our NPF can be so funny at times..*..
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by BossTtdiamonds(m): 6:21am On Sep 24, 2014
Xcapist:

I use to watch JCTV when I was younger and they had a very interesting show The Bibleman. *reminiscences* Ever seen it? I rather you picked something without a "man" postfix as that is already too cliché. Ah, what am I saying sef...you're Not a/an Hero cheesy

Nice... Thank God you finally admit I'm not a/an Hero..
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by chibwike(m): 7:22am On Sep 24, 2014
MizMyColi:

shocked shocked
How did you get here?!

But I do believe in God.
wink
Better, please do believe in God oh, he is our all in all, Gudmorning.
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 24, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

Madam.. If I we're the Nigerian Police, I'd have arrested you now for mis-information...

You said you're an Atheist..now you said you do believe in God...

You're Under arrest for confusin' and stressin' me...

*Our NPF can be so funny at times..*..

LMAO. You don't know how it is for us, e no easy atol. When we meet a new person and become friends, whenever the religion talk comes up and we blurt out that we're atheists they go like shocked lipsrsealed and pick race like say dey don jam fresh ghost! It's in NL that you see atheists everywhere like used pure water sachet, but in real life some of us are your fellow church members, sitting next to you on Sunday and shouting "Word" to the preaching (albeit sarcastically). The stigma is too much and we just play along to get along sometimes. That may be why you have many Christian Atheists around lol. Disclaimer: Not ALL atheists are like that o!

One of the good points of the atheistic attitude is you get to see and appreciate the real person beyond their religious beliefs and you don't just write people off as terrorists because they're Muslims for example. There are only two type of people, the good ones and the bad ones.
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by MizMyColi(f): 7:51am On Sep 24, 2014
Tallesty1: You Are A Christian Atheistundecidedsad

TALLESTY O O
Hiohiohiohiohio

you wee nuh kee me wit laff this morning.
Waow! I think I like the title.

I should declare it soon
Thanks Hun kiss kiss

@BossTtdiamonds
Pele, Shogbo?
The confusion and stressin wasn't intentional.

Ehyaaah, and I was beginning to admire you o o.
Don't ask me why joor! cheesy

Well here's a hint
*whispers*
It has something to do with the convo btw you and my our xcapist shocked
lipsrsealed

Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by BossTtdiamonds(m): 8:02am On Sep 24, 2014
Xcapist:

LMAO. You don't know how it is for us, e no easy atol. When we meet a new person and become friends, whenever the religion talk comes up and we blurt out that we're atheists they go like :0 :x and pick race like say dey don jam fresh ghost! It's in NL that you see atheists everywhere like used pure water sachet, but in real life some of us are your fellow church members, sitting next to you on Sunday and shouting "Word" to the preaching (albeit sarcastically). The stigma is too much and we just play along to get along sometimes. That may be why you have many Christian Atheists around lol. Disclaimer: Not ALL atheists are like that o!

One of the good points of the atheistic attitude is you get to see and appreciate the real person beyond their religious beliefs and you don't just write people off as terrorists because they're Muslims for example. There are only two type of people, the good ones and the bad ones.

Smart and Spot on as always
My deduction from what you stated above is: You go to Church but you dont believe in God..?? I might be wrong anywayz...
Yes I do agree there are only two sets of individuals.. The Good one's and the Bad one's... Attitude does matter a lot

I'd boldly say there are some Atheist with better attitudes than most Christains..
But here's a fact.. As a Christian I should be morally sound and upright..
Plus here's another intriguin' fact I have discovered.. I used to have an atheist friend here on Nland who in real life is a Christain.. His reason for such acts 'lld wow you..
That's partly why I dont believe in Most Nland Atheist

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by Tallesty1(m): 8:19am On Sep 24, 2014
Xcapist:

LMAO. You don't know how it is for us, e no easy atol. When we meet a new person and become friends, whenever the religion talk comes up and we blurt out that we're atheists they go like shocked lipsrsealed and pick race like say dey don jam fresh ghost! It's in NL that you see atheists everywhere like used pure water sachet, but in real life some of us are your fellow church members, sitting next to you on Sunday and shouting "Word" to the preaching (albeit sarcastically). The stigma is too much and we just play along to get along sometimes. That may be why you have many Christian Atheists around lol. Disclaimer: Not ALL atheists are like that o!

Does this "US" include MizMyColi. I asked because she shared the post.

Personally I have no p with anybody's belief or religion so far they do not force me to join them. Atheism and Christianity has alot in common, religionists are the problem we have.

I think Atheists do not believe because they have unanswerable questions so they are not convinced(hope I'm right). It is same with alot of Christians, even me. I visited a priest in 2005, the then Parish priest of Saint Mary's Catholic Church Ibagwa-aka to ask him some questions concerning catholic faith. He told me that it is wrong to ask such question(He is a religionist). Ok, gimme a quotation in the scripture that condemns asking such questions and he sent me out of his office.

Going through the scriptures I read a verse that really changed my life. Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not..
I did just that and my doubts were cleared and I started experiencing God's presence in my life and He opened my eyes to so many things about my church and bible.

I would have become an atheist if I didn't experience what I experienced.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by Tallesty1(m): 8:26am On Sep 24, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

Smart and Spot on as always
My deduction from what you stated above is: You go to Church but you dont believe in God..?? I might be wrong anywayz...
Yes I do agree there are only two sets of individuals.. The Good one's and the Bad one's... Attitude does matter a lot

I'd boldly say there are some Atheist with better attitudes than most Christains..
But here's a fact.. As a Christian I should be morally sound and upright..
Plus here's another intriguin' fact I have discovered.. I used to have an atheist friend here on Nland who in real life is a Christain.. His reason for such acts 'lld wow you..
That's partly why I dont believe in Most Nland Atheist
Some of them go to church because of the way people regard anyone who doesn't go to church. I once heard one of them say "Thank God I'm an Atheist"grin

1 Like

Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by okotv(m): 8:55am On Sep 24, 2014
Tallesty1: Does this "US" include MizMyColi. I asked because she shared the post.

Personally I have no p with anybody's belief or religion so far they do not force me to join them. Atheism and Christianity has alot in common, religionists are the problem we have.

I think Atheists do not believe because they have unanswerable questions so they are not convinced(hope I'm right). It is same with alot of Christians, even me. I visited a priest in 2005, the then Parish priest of Saint Mary's Catholic Church Ibagwa-aka to ask him some questions concerning catholic faith. He told me that it is wrong to ask such question(He is a religionist). Ok, gimme a quotation in the scripture that condemns asking such questions and he sent me out of his office.

Going through the scriptures I read a verse that really changed my life. Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not..
I did just that and my doubts were cleared and I started experiencing God's presence in my life and He opened my eyes to so many things about my church and bible.

I would have become an atheist if I didn't experience what I experienced.
as much as I agree with you ...the Reverend father may not be wrong cause I read an article from W.F Kumuyi were he even adviced preachers of the gospel to avoid some things although I don't think it should be from the Bible but everyday things
Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by BossTtdiamonds(m): 9:06am On Sep 24, 2014
MizMyColi:

TALLESTY O O
Hiohiohiohiohio

you wee nuh kee me wit laff this morning.
Waow! I think I like the title.

I should declare it soon
Thanks Hun kiss kiss

@BossTtdiamonds
Pele, Shogbo?
The confusion and stressin wasn't intentional.

Ehyaaah, and I was beginning to admire you o o.
Don't ask me why joor! cheesy

Well here's a hint
*whispers*
It has something to do with the convo btw you and my our xcapist shocked
lipsrsealed

Hmmm.. Where there's a Hint, there's a Riddle..
I think I'll start an investigation...... Should I crack the case wide open.. My name 'lld be all 'round the news.. People would then Tag me an Hero...
Then I'd have to actually be an Hero cause they've made me a hero in their heart...

Naah!.. I think I'll drop the investigation..
I don't want to be a/an Hero..

1 Like

Re: Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked. by Sagamite(m): 5:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
logicboy01:

Abeg, stop this "innit".....you are not some local south-london hoodlum (*cough* sagamite)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4iVsSn2-_o

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yoruba Bible 4 EASYWORSHIP PROJECTING / My Experience In Christianity...Personal Encounter That Drives Me To Serve God. / Death: What Happens When Someone Dies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.