Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,745 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:55 PM

West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola (14531 Views)

LASTMA Attack: Female Tricycle Operator Battles For Life (Photo) / Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. / Ebola Cripples West African Economies As Fearful Workers Stay Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by otijah(m): 10:39pm On Sep 18, 2014
soulglo:

I'm happy that people are coming out of it alive. No one happier than me but as the Dr who survived proved they were almost totally on their own. She was even fetching the water to flush the toilet herself while fighting Ebola. She did thus until she was not strong enough to manage on her own. Honestly no system or agency in Nigeria should take too much credit for it. It seems it is simply the sheer determination and knowledge of the patients that has saved them so far. It was not the superb health care they got
yeh I und you bro, thanks alot

2 Likes

Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by Liberiaashit: 12:09am On Sep 19, 2014
kolomax: Ok

Hey I'm an american, just wondering how freaked out you all are about this ebola stuff, because it's making me quake in my boots and I'm 3000 miles away.
Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by kolomax(m): 12:15am On Sep 19, 2014
Liberiaashit:

Hey I'm an american, just wondering how freaked out you all are about this ebola stuff, because it's making me quake in my boots and I'm 3000 miles away.
what does it mean?
Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by F117A: 6:31pm On Sep 19, 2014
soulglo:

I'm happy that people are coming out of it alive. No one happier than me but as the Dr who survived proved they were almost totally on their own. She was even fetching the water to flush the toilet herself while fighting Ebola. She did thus until she was not strong enough to manage on her own. Honestly no system or agency in Nigeria should take too much credit for it. It seems it is simply the sheer determination and knowledge of the patients that has saved them so far. It was not the superb health care they got
Lol.
This is nonsense.
According to WHO and the CDC,the first and most important step to defeating ebola is decent health care with adequate technical expertise.
Sheer determination can not save you from ebola.
It only helps when other more important conditions have been satisfied.
Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by soulglo: 6:50pm On Sep 19, 2014
F117A: Lol.
This is nonsense.
According to WHO and the CDC,the first and most important step to defeating ebola is decent health care with adequate technical expertise.
Sheer determination can not save you from ebola.
It only helps when other more important conditions have been satisfied.

I did not say or even imply that we should forget about decent health care. I said specifically on the Nigerian cases it was not adequate health care that saved them. In fact they were practically left on their own to fight their disease. It was her sheer determination that made her fetch water and flush the toilet, clean herself up, administer her own medication while actually in a hospital sick enough to die. You either did not read the article I was referring to or maybe you just wanted to post something. By the way what does CDC stand for. Find out why the CDC cares not just about disease control but also prevention. That is being proactive. Nigeria was not and that left us vulnerable. That's what I said and the CDC and the WHO would agree

1 Like

Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by F117A: 7:00pm On Sep 19, 2014
soulglo:

I did not say or even imply that we should forget about decent health care. I said specifically on the Nigerian cases it was not adequate health care that saved them. In fact they were practically left on their own to fight their disease. It was her sheer determination that made her fetch water and flush the toilet, clean herself up, administer her own medication while actually in a hospital sick enough to die. You either did not read the article I was referring to or maybe you just wanted to post something. By the way what does CDC stand for. Find out why the CDC cares not just about disease control but also prevention. That is being proactive. Nigeria was not and that left us vulnerable. That's what I said and the CDC and the WHO would agree
I dont think so.
The successful management of ebola is the same anywhere in the world.
Without proper health care,chance of survival and containment is slim.
And from what i read from a nigerian survivor,the health care delivery improved drastically after the initial bottlenecks were resolved.
Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by Simonet: 7:23pm On Sep 20, 2014
Chiefpriest1: At least on this Ebola issue,Nigeria seems to have done well. I am glad that the international community recognises that. Just that we have a way of taking one step forward and three steps backward

Nigeria did not do well enough! We should have put in place a strong anti ebola strategy since february, then maybe some Doctors and healthcare workers will still be alive. The panic in the health sector is not healthy.

2 Likes

Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by Simonet: 7:28pm On Sep 20, 2014
otijah: I think the best they can do themselve is to seek advice and strategies from other powerful nations e.g Nigeria

Powerful nation relying on rivals Cameroon to fight insurgents who are capturing territory! angry

Whaddaheck are talking about? embarassed lipsrsealed

There was nothing pro active about our anti ebola strategy. If not for Sawyer, we would not have done anything by now!

2 Likes

Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by soulglo: 10:56pm On Sep 20, 2014
F117A: I dont think so.
The successful management of ebola is the same anywhere in the world.
Without proper health care,chance of survival and containment is slim.
And from what i read from a nigerian survivor,the health care delivery improved drastically after the initial bottlenecks were resolved.

Good. You're still talking about proper health care. Ivory Coast is being proactive. They have been even before Sawyer ever came to Nigeria. Nigeria was not. Also you say the successful management of Ebola is the same all over the world but our survivors did not use Zmapp. All they had seemed to be some sort of ORT to replenish the fluids they were losing from constant vomiting and diarrhea.

1 Like

Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by F117A: 11:20pm On Sep 20, 2014
soulglo:

Good. You're still talking about proper health care. Ivory Coast is being proactive. They have been even before Sawyer ever came to Nigeria. Nigeria was not. Also you say the successful management of Ebola is the same all over the world but our survivors did not use Zmapp. All they had seemed to be some sort of ORT to replenish the fluids they were losing from constant vomiting and diarrhea.
I think you are being too harsh on the govt.
The only case we had came in through a foreign diplomat who should know better.
It was more or less a betrayal of trust.
Ebola did not come through unmanned borders.
BTW ;Zmapp has not been endorsed by the WHO and is invalid as far as i am concerned.
The known treatment of ebola anywhere in the world is the management of symptoms and boosting the body immunity through ORT and other common supplements,which is what Nigeria has done.
And if you think the entire process was that easy,then why is sierraleone,liberia & guinea sinking under the weight of ebola with no possible end in sight?
Re: West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola by soulglo: 12:54am On Sep 21, 2014
F117A: I think you are being too harsh on the govt.
The only case we had came in through a foreign diplomat who should know better.
It was more or less a betrayal of trust.
Ebola did not come through unmanned borders.
BTW ;Zmapp has not been endorsed by the WHO and is invalid as far as i am concerned.
The known treatment of ebola anywhere in the world is the management of symptoms and boosting the body immunity through ORT and other common supplements,which is what Nigeria has done.
And if you think the entire process was that easy,then why is sierraleone,liberia & guinea sinking under the weight of ebola with no possible end in sight?

I am not being harsh. It's the truth. The health ministry did nothing but sit on their well paid a55es until there was fire on the mountain. Nigeria is in West Africa and the most populated country for that matter. Nigeria should have been the ones hosting conferences (both educational and for public information) when Ebola moved in a way it had never done before. Our doctors and hospitals had no plans on what to do if a patient with Ebola was admitted. We had hospitals sending people with admitted active a Ebola symptoms out to other hospitals because they simply had no plan in place. If Sawyer had gone to Ghana he would have been quarantined in a designated hospital ward immediately. In fact their airport employees were already trained on what yo look out for in passengers coming from the countries struggling with Ebola. I am not being hard on the government. I'm just pointing out that as usual they are just let girly incompetent. Ebola was going to hit Nigeria eventually. So why was there no plans in place

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Men Beware! Your Laptop Can Make You Infertile / Women: Know More About Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) / Brain Drain: "Resist Temptation To Flee Nigeria" Shettima Tells Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.