Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,180 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Start A Business Or Get A Masters Degree?? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Start A Business Or Get A Masters Degree?? (1117 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? / How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Start A Business Or Get A Masters Degree?? by peren: 9:34am On Sep 18, 2014
Hi guys,

I would like some advice, i graduated with a degree in Engineering 6 years ago, i was never without a job as after service year i was retained in the Electrical and Mechinacal Construction company i worked, ( prepared bills of quantities, n tender docs) i got bored and got another job with a tech start up(did many different things there), did 2 years there and moved to a oil servicing coy.

I haven't worked long enough as an engineer to seek for an experienced position in an engineering coy and i have been out of school for too long to be considered as a fresh graduate(2-2). My current job has no career growth prospects its pays enough to keep me content, but i worry for the future, so now at cross roads i wonder if i should start up a small business, which i can grow and fall back to, or just keep me busy(my current job is not that demanding) and give me something to invest in, or get a masters degree to both increase my knoweldge and my chances at getting a better job(not better pay, but career growth prospects and security)
Re: Start A Business Or Get A Masters Degree?? by peren: 4:40pm On Sep 18, 2014
na wa oh. not even a single suggestion
Re: Start A Business Or Get A Masters Degree?? by Mellorix: 11:04pm On Sep 18, 2014
peren: Hi guys,

I would like some advice, i graduated with a degree in Engineering 6 years ago, i was never without a job as after service year i was retained in the Electrical and Mechinacal Construction company i worked, ( prepared bills of quantities, n tender docs) i got bored and got another job with a tech start up(did many different things there), did 2 years there and moved to a oil servicing coy.

I haven't worked long enough as an engineer to seek for an experienced position in an engineering coy and i have been out of school for too long to be considered as a fresh graduate(2-2). My current job has no career growth prospects its pays enough to keep me content, but i worry for the future, so now at cross roads i wonder if i should start up a small business, which i can grow and fall back to, or just keep me busy(my current job is not that demanding) and give me something to invest in, or get a masters degree to both increase my knoweldge and my chances at getting a better job(not better pay, but career growth prospects and security)

Honestly, only you can advice your self in this situation. Any thing i say or anything anyone says will be compared to their situation. For me ill say start up a small business while still working and take up an online masters form . In that case you have the best of all worlds smiley (if that makes sense)
Re: Start A Business Or Get A Masters Degree?? by Nobody: 2:07am On Sep 19, 2014
peren: na wa oh. not even a single suggestion
I don't know how old you are but there is no age limit for education .... !!

I will suggest you get yourself a Masters Degree and if you still have your way, retain your present Job also, as an Engineer, with 6years after graduation, you ought to have done your COREN by now , I heard it is the toughest professional exam in Nigeria but use your less demanding Job to brush up your career path instead of running up and down and chasing small business while the market is frustrating !!

With your M.sc and COREN ...... Even @least M.sc, you are a BOMB in the market !!!
Re: Start A Business Or Get A Masters Degree?? by peren: 2:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
thank you guys!
Re: Start A Business Or Get A Masters Degree?? by insidifyguru: 5:17pm On Sep 23, 2014
peren: Hi guys,

Hello Peren,in my opinion,the best recourse for you to take is to begin to acquire professional certifications. Nigeria is getting to the point where even a Masters will make little difference in your being preferentially considered for a job position. You are an Engineer,one of the first professional qualifications that comes to mind is the Health and Safety Engineering (HSE) qualification. It is one of the most sought after qualifications now,particularly in the field you are in. I believe it can really boost your earning power much more than any Masters degree would.

Wish you the very best in your endeavours. #Insidify

(1) (Reply)

Job Seeker / Expand Your Career With The Concept Group / Before You Judge Customs Officers On Curruption See This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.