Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,300 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer (20790 Views)

Help!!! Odometer and Speedometer Stop Working / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? / Odometer: Kilometer Vs Miles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by nurey(m): 8:22am On Sep 20, 2014
I don't know whether my odometer reads in miles or km, I need you to help me clarify how to know whether my odo is reading miles or km and explanation how to differentiate both

Pix attached is for my trip A and total trips. Thanks in advance.

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by bravolad(m): 8:45am On Sep 20, 2014
nurey: I don't know whether my odometer reads in miles or km, I need you to help me clarify how to know whether my odo is reading miles or km and explanation how to differentiate both

Your odometer in miles. It is clearly stated on the left side of the figures (odo 92925). So you have 92,925 miles.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by abatically(m): 8:54am On Sep 20, 2014
ur odometer is in kilometers. The outer reading denotes the unit. Ur speedo is calibrated in km/hr

6 Likes

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by nurey(m): 10:07am On Sep 20, 2014
bravolad:

Your odometer in miles. It is clearly stated on the left side of the figures (odo 92925). So you have 92,925 miles.

Thanks, this was very clear, so I have done 11xx miles on my trip A after the new oil change. So if my odometer was calibrated in km as in the 92925 how would one identify it cause my speedo is in both km/h and Mph.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by abatically(m): 10:24am On Sep 20, 2014
nurey:

Thanks, this was very clear, so I have done 11xx miles on my trip A after the new oil change. So if my odometer was calibrated in km as in the 92925 how would one identify it cause my speedo is in both km/h and Mph.

Ur main speedo is the one written in BOLD which is km/hr. Ur odometer reads 92,925 km, to convert to miles divide by 1.6 = 58,098 miles.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by chillex8(m): 10:27am On Sep 20, 2014
Your odometer is in kilometers
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by 9icetoo(m): 10:57am On Sep 20, 2014
chillex8: Your odometer is in kilometers
OP, ur odometer and speed is in Miles. The kilometer reading is there for reference purposes. Your trip meters A and B and your total Mileage are all in Miles.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by chillex8(m): 11:18am On Sep 20, 2014
Your odometer reads in kilometers...

Ignore that the mileage seems low, could have been rolled back earlier.

Normally, the outer and bolder reading denotes the unit of your odometer..

In the OPs case, its Km/hr that is the outer and bolder reading..

For those that are still in doubt, check your individual speedometers..

Cheers..

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 20, 2014
nurey: I don't know whether my odometer reads in miles or km, I need you to help me clarify how to know whether my odo is reading miles or km and explanation how to differentiate both

From the layout of your instrument display, your car is a Toyota sienna. Its odometer is calibrated in Miles, your speedo is calibrated in Kilometres. However, you have a time bomb ticking and that time bomb is your Check Engine Light which is illuminated. Solve whatsoever that's wrong.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by nurey(m): 12:03pm On Sep 20, 2014
lomomike:

From the layout of your instrument display, your car is a Toyota sienna. Its odometer is calibrated in Miles, your speedo is calibrated in Kilometres. However, you have a time bomb ticking and that time bomb is your Check Engine Light which is illuminated. Solve whatsoever that's wrong.

Thank you all for your comment. I really got it now.

Mr lomomike, the ignition is in II position not ignition position reason for the check engine light if I had taken pix of all the instrument cluster, the airbag, abs, oil etc would have shown too. Once I start my engine all this comes on and 33 to 5 seconds later goes off.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by chillex8(m): 12:08pm On Sep 20, 2014
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by nurey(m): 12:16pm On Sep 20, 2014
chillex8: Look up this link.
www.nairaland.com/433299/odometer-kilometer-vs-miles

The car is from north america, it has DRL hence I think the MILES have it, all in favour of Miles say hi and those against Miles say nai. Lol grin grin
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by abatically(m): 12:32pm On Sep 20, 2014
nurey:

The car is from north america, it has DRL hence I think the MILES have it, all in favour of Miles say hi and those against Miles say nai. Lol grin grin

U are wrong. Ur odometer is in kilometers bro. The main reading is the outer one. Forget whether it has DRL or not, I can almost guarantee ur came from Canada not USA. Americans use miles while Canadians use kilometers, both are from north America. If u doubt post ur Vin number.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by abatically(m): 12:34pm On Sep 20, 2014
9icetoo:
OP, ur odometer and speed is in Miles. The kilometer reading is there for reference purposes. Your trip meters A and B and your total Mileage are all in Miles.

Look at it one more time. Km is outside while miles is inside. Km is written in bold hence odometer is in km not miles.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by abatically(m): 12:47pm On Sep 20, 2014
nurey:

This is my Honda accord from north America with DRL. It is calibrated in kilometers, country of production is Canada.

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by danadam(m): 12:49pm On Sep 20, 2014
abatically:

Look at it one more time. Km is outside while miles is inside. Km is written in bold hence odometer is in km not miles.

You are right. it's in km not miles.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by chillex8(m): 1:00pm On Sep 20, 2014
We are all learning on this forum.

Like I said earlier, that car's odometer is in kilometer...

And the reasons which I have given.

Or are you saying that the manufacturers that put the speedometer that way are wrong

P.S if you are still in doubt, and in lagos, just drive from Maryland to jibowu bustop which is exactly 4miles.. You will see that your odometer will have covered 6.44km.

Cheers.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by nurey(m): 2:15pm On Sep 20, 2014
abatically:

U are wrong. Ur odometer is in kilometers bro. The main reading is the outer one. Forget whether it has DRL or not, I can almost guarantee ur came from Canada not USA. Americans use miles while Canadians use kilometers, both are from north America. If u doubt post ur Vin number.

Ok abatically I thought all cars have their km reading on the outside and mph on the inside.

My km/h is written boldly and bigger and on the outside and yes the car has DRL and it is from canada, but I need you to clarify it properly is the odometer reading of 92xxx and trip A 11xx in km or miles.
Also note my trip A and B reads with a decimal place example 1123.xx
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by abatically(m): 3:53pm On Sep 20, 2014
nurey:

Ok abatically I thought all cars have their km reading on the outside and mph on the inside.

My km/h is written boldly and bigger and on the outside and yes the car has DRL and it is from canada, but I need you to clarify it properly is the odometer reading of 92xxx and trip A 11xx in km or miles.
Also note my trip A and B reads with a decimal place example 1123.xx

Cars imported from USA have miles per hr on the outside and km/hr inside. Hence their odometer is measured in miles. It makes no sense to measure speed in km/hr and then odometer in miles. Canada use metric system, so their speed is in km/hr and distance in kilometers. So ur odometer reading is in km. But u can almost he sure that odometer has been rolled back. its not easy to see a 14 year old car with mileage of about 56k miles (92k+ km).

Below is pic of the same 1999-2002 sienna from the USA. This one has mph on the outside and km/hr inside, hence odometer measured in miles.

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by nurey(m): 4:25pm On Sep 20, 2014
abatically:

Cars imported from USA have miles per hr on the outside and km/hr inside. Hence their odometer is measured in miles. It makes no sense to measure speed in km/hr and then odometer in miles. Canada use metric system, so their speed is in km/hr and distance in kilometers. So ur odometer reading is in km. But u can almost he sure that odometer has been rolled back. its not easy to see a 14 year old car with mileage of about 56k miles (92k+ km).

Below is pic of the same 1999-2002 sienna from the USA. This one has mph on the outside and km/hr inside, hence odometer measured in miles.

Yeah the odometer was rolled back, I sensed it when I compared it with the VIN report takes so if my engine oil says 5000miles to change then my odometer should be 5000 x 1.6 which will give 8000km right.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by abatically(m): 5:12pm On Sep 20, 2014
nurey:

Yeah the odometer was rolled back, I sensed it when I compared it with the VIN report takes so if my engine oil says 5000miles to change then my odometer should be 5000 x 1.6 which will give 8000km right.

Yes correct. The maintenance required light in my accord doesn't come on until after about 14,000km. Honda reccomends 10,000 miles which is 16,000km. But to be on a safer side I normally do my oil change at around 8,000-9,000km.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 20, 2014
abatically:

I think this should be corrected to say

"Cars imported from the USA that were manufactured for the US domestic market". Many cars from Canada are in US.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 20, 2014
abatically:

Spot on.

I'm confused why they wrote MPH on the speedo face though.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by nurey(m): 9:21pm On Sep 20, 2014
CityNG:

Spot on.

I'm confused why they wrote MPH on the speedo face though.

the KMH is there but i didnt snap the whole instrument cluster sorry

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by Hardheolar(m): 10:20am On Sep 21, 2014
The bolded one written outside is always wat d car is running on..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by Hardheolar(m): 10:20am On Sep 21, 2014
The bolded one written outside is always wat d car is running on..I.e under d speedometer
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 21, 2014
That posted instrument cluster has the main (outer) calibration in km/h. Which means the odometer is also calibrated in kilometres.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 21, 2014
9icetoo:

You're wrong, bruh.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by 9icetoo(m): 12:36pm On Sep 21, 2014
Siena:

You're wrong, bruh.
Yeah. Taken a closer look at the pix and seen my error. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by Uncleodi(m): 2:05pm On Sep 21, 2014
This guy get fuel oh shocked
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by nurey(m): 2:09pm On Sep 21, 2014
Uncleodi: This guy get fuel oh shocked

So you want to come and Zap It abi shocked I got my EYE on Ya.
Re: Please Help Me With Clarification Of Odometer by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 21, 2014
Here's the instrument cluster of MY09 Jetta, it's a world car.

The superior measurement is in bold and clearly labeled.

However, you can use VAGCOM to change the odometer readings from KPH to MPH and vice versa. It will auto calculate the correct readings and also indicate miles or kilometer on the odometer so that there's no confusion.

PS: Yes I need to detail my car, I've been neglectful and I hang my head in shame grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uber's Self-driving Car Just Killed A Pedestrian. / Nigeria Signs MOU With Volkswagen For Manufacturing Of Vehicles In The Country / Overhead Pictures Of Ladipo Car-Parts Market In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.