Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them (254154 Views)

The Difference Between An Alligator And A Crocodile / It's I'm And Not Am / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:10am On Jun 10, 2016
smiley
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by AskProf: 7:11am On Jun 10, 2016
Ploy:
'I'm' is the contraction of 'I am'. While 'am' is a primary auxiliary verb 'to be' like: is, are, was, were, am, be, being, and been.
These auxiliary verbs could be used as helping verbs e.g.
I am eating
she is reading
They are also used as linking verbs e.g. I am a teacher

The difference between I'm and am is: I'm is the first person singular pronoun I and auxiliary verb am while 'am' is just an auxiliary verb that can't start a sentence. Hence, it's wrong to write: Am with you my yoriyori instead write I'm with you my yoriyori.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by SmithHumble50: 7:11am On Jun 10, 2016
I am guilty as charged...
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by daddyrich: 7:12am On Jun 10, 2016
Dafkelvin222:
They're two diff words...''am'' is for questioning and i'm is for intro...e.g i'm muhammadu buhari,the chief jukeeter,,am i a dullard?

Really
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by tdayof(m): 7:17am On Jun 10, 2016
cc; chukxie
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by daddyrich: 7:19am On Jun 10, 2016
castrokins:
This Post Traveled Two Years To Get To FP. Seun Una Try O...

It took so long time because the post had nothing to do with #IstandwithBuhari #AishaRice #liarMuhamed #apcchange
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by jflexy(m): 7:21am On Jun 10, 2016
dauntless15:
Isn't it too early for English lessons? Me am still feeling sleepy i am just gonna go back to sleep
One of those people wey word go enter one side of the ear comot d other. grin

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 10, 2016
English can be quite difficult. "my English has improved" Is this grammar correct?
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by omonighoblessing(f): 7:53am On Jun 10, 2016
Ploy:
'I'm' is the contraction of 'I am'. While 'am' is a primary auxiliary verb 'to be' like: is, are, was, were, am, be, being, and been.
I am eating
she is reading

The difference between I'm and am is: I'm is the first person singular pronoun I and auxiliary verb am while 'am' is just an auxiliary verb that can't start a sentence. Hence, it's wrong to write: Am with you my yoriyori instead write I'm with you my yoriyori.
very CORRECT! !!!! ,u must be very sound in your English language.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by xreal: 7:58am On Jun 10, 2016
Ploy:
I am eating
she is reading

I hope you are not that lecturer in the department of english in the University of Ilorin, who turns his office to a brothel.

Precise explanation - you got there.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by saintneo2: 8:02am On Jun 10, 2016
Ploy:
I am eating
she is reading

Apologies, I'm gonna blow your load technically.

Am is a verb, an auxillary verb and a noun. Thus 'am' can start a sentence. An example is the bolded sentence, the 'am' in that sentence is a noun and I used it to start sentence.

Correct me if I'm wrong......lol.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by KissCODE(m): 8:09am On Jun 10, 2016
babs123:
I'm means I am.
It is wrong to use 'Am' to start a sentence.
So it is wrong to say : Am happy you came
You should rather say: I am happy you came.
Or you say I'm happy you came.
you have told us where and how to use i‘m.
Where, how & at what point do one use “am?“

Make use of “am“ in a sentence.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by educute(m): 8:16am On Jun 10, 2016
Addicted2Women:
They're same meaning.
I'm is abbreviation of I am.

I'm a boy, I am a boy

The use of only "am" is not correct, it suppose to go with "i "
recieve sense IJN!..amen
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by executiveson(m): 8:19am On Jun 10, 2016
My topic of the month
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Kobicove(m): 8:20am On Jun 10, 2016
"I'm" is the contraction of "I am", just like "I've" is the contraction of "I have".

It is absolutely wrong to use "Am" to start a statement quite disappointingly a lot of Nigerians are ignorant of this.

The only time it's acceptable to use "Am" at the begining of a sentence is when that sentence is a question
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by ochobaba(m): 8:22am On Jun 10, 2016
Ploy:
I am eating
she is reading

still don't understand!!! Come down to my level abeg
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by ochobaba(m): 8:24am On Jun 10, 2016
babs123:
I'm means I am. It is wrong to use 'Am' to start a sentence. So it is wrong to say : Am happy you came You should rather say: I am happy you came. Or you say I'm happy you came.
understood urs more than d first guy who posted here
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Icemany: 8:39am On Jun 10, 2016
Ploy:
I am eating
she is reading

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Icemany: 8:43am On Jun 10, 2016
Nice one!

Ploy:
I am eating
she is reading

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by UuzbaGuuzba: 8:48am On Jun 10, 2016
Egbe!!! You are correcting English on NAIRALAND?
Are you Nairaland Avenger? Hmmm! Stop finding trouble O.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by mrofficial(m): 8:51am On Jun 10, 2016
Nigerians can annoy someone with "Am". angry angry angry
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Respect55(m): 8:54am On Jun 10, 2016
MykLANNY:
I Am na GOD name. Am na english word.

Na so madness dey start
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by speakthetruth: 8:56am On Jun 10, 2016
t is wrong to use 'Am' to start a sentence.
Or you say I'm happy you came. [/quote]

Are you sure about that? What of the following?

Am I disturbing you?
Am I correct?

Etc these though are qns but are correct sentences. I agree with the other explanations. Thanks.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by naijagobetter(m): 9:04am On Jun 10, 2016
babs123:
I'm means I am.
what about 'am glad to be here, sh*t you are right got it now thnx
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by dauntless15(m): 9:04am On Jun 10, 2016
jflexy:

One of those people wey word go enter one side of the ear comot d other. grin
i no understand enlighten me mr English proff
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by taiwo005(m): 9:08am On Jun 10, 2016
Ploy:
I am eating
she is reading

I just like quoting the intelligent ones
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by PoliticalThuG(m): 9:10am On Jun 10, 2016
babs123:
I'm means I am.
am can start a sentence.. Eg "am i your mate?"
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by philclem(m): 9:17am On Jun 10, 2016
In English,I'M is also know as the weak form of I AM because of the omission of the A thereby replacing in with apostrophy but I AM most times is used for formal statement why I'M is mostly used for informal statement #thank me later
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by philclem(m): 9:29am On Jun 10, 2016
In English,I'M is also know as the weak form of I AM because of the omission of the A thereby replacing it with apostrophy but I AM most times is used for formal statement why I'M is mostly used for informal statement #thank me later
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 10, 2016
What i hate seeing is using "I'm I" to ask a question

Like I'm I a Nigerian? Its frustrating to see people write it! Gives me eyesores
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by chukxie(m): 9:36am On Jun 10, 2016
tdayof:
cc; chukxie

How far, my person?
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Mushy2015: 9:38am On Jun 10, 2016
"Your call came in when am just in"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A.B.U Zaria 2014/2015 Admission Thread / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / The Polytechnic, Ibadan 2012/2013 Admissions. ND/HND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.