Stats: 3,195,277 members, 7,957,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:53 PM

Loogun-ede/ologun-ede - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Loogun-ede/ologun-ede (2313 Views)

Pounded Yam Eulogy/ Oriki Iyan Ni Ede Abinibi. / Blogging Ni Ede Yoruba / Message To Egbe Omo Yoruba - E Gbe Ede Yin Laruge! - (2) (3) (4)

Loogun-ede/ologun-ede by Aborisha: 2:52pm On Sep 20, 2014
Hi everyone, nice to meet you, hope you're doing well!

I wonder if any of you know about the history and legend of Loogun-ede (Ologun-ede). I would love to know about him from a native source. If possible, please share information.

Many blessings.

Re: Loogun-ede/ologun-ede by Aborisha: 8:47pm On Sep 22, 2014
Historically, my research led me to two 17th century warriors/Hunters from Ijeshaland, either Obalogun or Babarake (the late, founder of Igangan). Religiously speaking I have found materials (both oriki and orin) on Pierre Verger and Sikiru Salami, and a fragment of oriki from Okuku present in Karin Barber's book "I Could Speak Until Tomorrow: Oriki, Women, and the Past in a Yoruba Town".

Re: Loogun-ede/ologun-ede by Aborisha: 8:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
There are lots of misinformation from diasporic sources, that's why I'm interested in talking to someone from Yorubaland. Doesn't matter if the person sees him as a hero/historic persona, or as a deity.

Thank you all for your attention!

Many blessings!
Re: Loogun-ede/ologun-ede by MetaPhysical: 10:47pm On Sep 23, 2014
Aborisha, where did you get this photo and what motivated the inquiry?

The lady is holding ritual symbols that dated back centuries but this is not the complete set, some items are missing. Is this the only picture you have of the cult?

Re: Loogun-ede/ologun-ede by Aborisha: 8:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
MetaPhysical: Aborisha, where did you get this photo and what motivated the inquiry?

The lady is holding ritual symbols that dated back centuries but this is not the complete set, some items are missing. Is this the only picture you have of the cult?

Hi MetaPhysical, thank you very much for your response! smiley

I got this Picture from a book "Notes of the cults of the Orisha and Vodun", by Pierre Verger. The motivation is because this is my personal Orisha, but he is little known and and lots of people spread misinformation about him, things completely opposite to his very nature as far as we can grasp from his oriki available in literature.

I have this Picture, and one more of some object that seems to be an "awo ota", like the ones from Erinle's cult.

There's an itan in Harold Courlander's book "Tales of Yoruba Gods and Heroes", that features a Hunter named Ologun, but I don't know if it refers to this orisha. I transcribed the itan here: http://elaquecaminhasobreomar..com.br/2012/04/achado-literario-enormemente-esperado.html

I'm uploading the other pic bellow. Also from Ilesha, and shot by Pierre Verger.

Thank you again.

Re: Loogun-ede/ologun-ede by Aborisha: 9:00pm On Sep 24, 2014
Some of his oriki:

Jagunjagun ninu Orisha (warrior amongst the Gods)

Ashiwaju ogun ninu Orisha (warchief amongst the Gods)

Panpa bi asha, ashode bi ologbo (swift as a hawk, one who hunts like a cat)

Abikehin Yeye (last-born of Mother Oshun)

Ekun o bi awo fini (Leopard who have a very beautiful skin)

Tima lehin Yeye re (mounted on his Mother's back)

O je oruko bi Shoponna (he have a name like Shoponna)

Soro pe on Shoponna enia hun (it is difficult for someone with a bad reputation to have a name like that of Shoponna)

Oda bi odundun (He is fresh like the leaves of the odundun tree)

Ologun ayan firan (Ologun comes fast as the Wind [in our aid])

Da oun ti o maa da kin ri o (He can transforms into whatever he wants for us to see him)

Ire gbogbo!
Re: Loogun-ede/ologun-ede by Aborisha: 9:13pm On Sep 24, 2014
Which items are missing? ^_^
Re: Loogun-ede/ologun-ede by Aborisha: 9:50pm On Sep 24, 2014

Ooni Of Ife Spotted At The Spiritual Obatala Temple In Osun State. Photos / Benin Slangs! / Pls Give Yoruba And Recognized English Known Names For Leaves And Herbs Here