Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required (43975 Views)

Farmers Your Advice Is Needed Pls / See Gov. Rochas Okorocha Eating Cucumber In My Farm (pics) / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 5:12pm On Sep 20, 2014
Most of us have read so much on the topics that we can almost be termed experts. But practical experience is an important reason why i came on line.
I am clearing land of 10 acres to be used for cucumbers. I have read so much about cucumbers and i have also been seeking advice from an elderly practising farmer. But as the saying goes knowledge is not restricted to one person I would love to be having a step by step guide and interactions with experience farmers from Oyo State.
My land will be plow by Saturday. The plan is to plant before the rain seizes and then continue with manual irrigation
I will be sourcing my seed from Technisem/agritropic in Ibadan. The variety for seed that was recommended for me is the Marketer.
I will be visiting Ibadan for more tutorial from my farming mentor.
Any suggestion/contribution/ advice will be appreciated from cucumber farmers
Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:09am On Sep 21, 2014
Applying regular insecticides will.be needed to avoid loss because of the common occurence of insects.
Insecticides to be apply at least 3 days interval for the first week of planting (although depending on the type of insecticides you make use of).
After which weekly application of insecticides is needed.
Marketer variety is excellent because of the higher price of the bigger size produced by the seeds when matured.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 8:15am On Sep 21, 2014
Lesgupnigeria: Applying regular insecticides will.be needed to avoid loss because of the common occurence of insects.
Insecticides to be apply at least 3 days interval for the first week of planting (although depending on the type of insecticides you make use of).
After which weekly application of insecticides is needed.
Marketer variety is excellent because of the higher price of the bigger size produced by the seeds when matured.
Thank you. I appreciate this
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:12pm On Sep 21, 2014
Na wah oooooo
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by olushowunm(m): 11:09pm On Sep 21, 2014
@Jethro... I know we don't agree on a lot of issues but from my experience in Cucumber and other crawling crops... You must avoid Herbicides on the farm or any surrounding plots and also make sure you spray insecticides and fungicides regularly!
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:44am On Sep 22, 2014
olushowunm: @Jethro... I know we don't agree on a lot of issues but from my experience in Cucumber and other crawling crops... You must avoid Herbicides on the farm or any surrounding plots and also make sure you spray insecticides and fungicides regularly!
lol. Thank you
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:55am On Sep 22, 2014
jethro2:
Thank you. I appreciate this
you are welcome.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by iiichidodo: 5:15pm On Sep 22, 2014
Did you say manual irrigation? on 10 acres of land?!...this isn't a tuber crop but a vegetable that needs plenty of water at least 3 inches per week...We wonder how you can pull this off with manual irrigation on 4 hectares of land... You will need a small army..

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 6:37pm On Sep 22, 2014
iiichidodo: Did you say manual irrigation? on 10 acres of land?!...this isn't a tuber crop but a vegetable that needs plenty of water at least 3 inches per week...We wonder how you can pull this off with manual irrigation on 4 hectares of land... You will need a small army..
I can understand your fear. By manual, there is pumping machine with hose of 100 meters. There is a stream nearby where we pump water to the farm. The hose has to be moved and placed between ridges alternately to wet. I have 3 guys assisting on the farm. Yes we are gonna pull it off
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by iiichidodo: 9:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
jethro2:
I can understand your fear. By manual, there is pumping machine with hose of 100 meters. There is a stream nearby where we pump water to the farm. The hose has to be moved and placed between ridges alternately to wet. I have 3 guys assisting on the farm. Yes we are gonna pull it off
That is mechanical irrigation not manual...

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by waka2: 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
@jethro..oga i dey follow

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
u can call 07030659362 for more info.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 11:34pm On Sep 22, 2014
iiichidodo: That is mechanical irrigation not manual...
To some extent it can be called mechanical but it involves plenty manual work that's why i refer to it as manual
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pavore9: 6:04am On Sep 23, 2014
jethro2:
To some extent it can be called mechanical but it involves plenty manual work that's why i refer to it as manual
Oga Jethro, am following your progress o.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by iiichidodo: 6:05am On Sep 23, 2014
jethro2:
As long as you carry water from point A to point B with the aid of a machine regardless of how many people you control it is still mechanical..Anyway,it is your party...ride on...wish you all the best...
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by iiichidodo: 6:13am On Sep 23, 2014
iiichidodo: A..
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:46am On Sep 23, 2014
Pavore9: Oga Jethro, am following your progress o.
[quote
I will keep the forum posted. The plowing is slated for Saturday. I may possibly upload some pictures as we progress too.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:47am On Sep 23, 2014
iiichidodo: As long as you carry water from point A to point B with the aid of a machine regardless of how many people you control it is still mechanical..Anyway,it is your party...ride on...wish you all the best...
Thank you
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 9:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
The cucumber seed for the farm. A tin of the Marketer variety is 100grams. 300grams is required for an acre. The spacing for planting is expected to be 1m by 1m

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:59am On Sep 28, 2014
We planted the cucumber yesterday. Its eventually 8acres. Attached picture was taken during planting

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by bamdexfarms(m): 6:16pm On Sep 28, 2014
@ jethro, where exactly is ur farm? And how much for cultivating one hectare, what is d expected returns for one hectare of cucumber farm?
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 8:36pm On Sep 28, 2014
bamdexfarms: @ jethro, where exactly is ur farm? And how much for cultivating one hectare, what is d expected returns for one hectare of cucumber farm?
My farm is in Ago Amodu, Saki East LGA
My first time of planting cucumber. So sorry until after 2 or 3 months I dont have answers to your other questions.
Regards
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by FarmBusiness(m): 7:49am On Sep 29, 2014
How much is 100g seed
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 8:20am On Sep 29, 2014
FarmBusiness: How much is 100g seed

Technisem Marketer 100g N1350 Heirloom
Technisem Pointset 100g N1350 Heirloom
Technisem Murano 2F1 50g N5500 Hybrid

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:20am On Oct 02, 2014
We planted the cucumbers on Saturday. Its now 5days old. The picture is the 5day old cucumber

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by TheUnbeatable(m): 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2014
@Op:

Good work.

Please put into cognisance, the control of these elephant grasses I am seeing.

Kill them early beofre they kill your crops.

Don't bother to transplant because they may not survive and please use insecticide once every 7-9 days to reduce insect infestation.

All will be well.

Regards,

The Unbeatable.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 9:57pm On Oct 02, 2014
TheUnbeatable: @Op:
Good work.
Please put into cognisance, the control of these elephant grasses I am seeing.
Kill them early beofre they kill your crops.
Don't bother to transplant because they may not survive and please use insecticide once every 7-9 days to reduce insect infestation.
All will be well.
Regards,
The Unbeatable.
Thank you very much. I will take note of the mentioned point
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 03, 2014
Market more species are good too. Maturity starts from 40days(u start having mature fruit for harvest)
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:58am On Oct 04, 2014
bigproject: Market more species are good too. Maturity starts from 40days(u start having mature fruit for harvest)
Thanks for this. I will source for it and try it out during our next schedule planting.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by waka2: 4:20pm On Oct 16, 2014
how is your cucumber doing,pls update im learning.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:18pm On Oct 16, 2014
The cucumber are doing great. I have been trying to upload the picture at two weeks old but couldnt. I will still try again. It needs constant spraying with insecticides. The leaf attracts insects fast. The recommended spraying interval is every two weeks. But we look out for spot on the leaf to decide the spraying
waka2:
how is your cucumber doing,pls update im learning.
The cucumber are doing great. I have been trying to upload the picture at two weeks old but couldnt. I will still try again. It needs constant spraying with insecticides. The leaf attracts insects fast. The recommended spraying interval is every two weeks. But we look out for spot on the leaf to decide the spraying

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

World’s First Electric Driverless Tractors Launched (Pictures) / This Long Python Was Killed On The Farm Yesterday / A Day Old Chicks (broiler, Pullet, Cockerel And Turkey) Are For Sale In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.