Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,960 members, 7,952,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:10 AM

How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? (16986 Views)

All About The Torque Converter / Is ATF Oil The Same As Power Steering Fluid? / What Kind Of Transmission Fluid (ATF) Should I Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by domack99(m): 4:20pm On Sep 22, 2014
Am Planning to change my MDX ATF and am just wondering if the entire fluid in the trans system can be drained by just opening the drain nut under. A friend change his ATF recently and all we did was to remove the drain nut and left it for about one and half hour to drain. We got a whole four gallon paint bucket filled up and some drain to a bigger bowl that could fill more than a litre bottle. The amount of old fluid drained would be up to six litre plus. We replaced with five litres of AFT, though it gauge to the desire level when measure with the deep stick but what i could deduce is that more was taken out of the tranny than replaced

My concern is, is it possible to have drained the content of the torque converter using this straight method because from what i learn, the SUV take five litres of ATF or still need special equipment to flush out the system to get to the torque converter.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by erico2k2(m): 5:02pm On Sep 22, 2014
domack99: Am Planning to change my MDX ATF and am just wondering if the entire fluid in the trans system can be drained by just opening the drain nut under. A friend change his ATF recently and all we did was to remove the drain nut and left it for about one and half hour to drain. We got a whole four gallon paint bucket filled up and some drain to a bigger bowl that could fill more than a litre bottle. The amount of old fluid drained would be up to six litre plus. We replaced with five litres of AFT, though it gauge to the desire level when measure with the deep stick but what i could deduce is that more was taken out of the tranny than replaced

My concern is, is it possible to have drained the content of the torque converter using this straight method because from what i learn, the SUV take five litres of ATF or still need special equipment to flush out the system to get to the torque converter.
You cant drain the whole Oil out,unless you get it to a garage,just a quick question, how do you refill it, from the top or under?
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by domack99(m): 5:20pm On Sep 22, 2014
erico2k2:
You cant drain the whole Oil out,unless you get it to a garage,just a quick question, how do you refill it, from the top or under?

It was refill from the top, can you refill from under? what else would they auto shop be doing in garage to drain the entire fluid?
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by erico2k2(m): 5:29pm On Sep 22, 2014
domack99:

It was refill from the top, can you refill from under? what else would they auto shop be doing in garage to drain the entire fluid?
I thought as Much, refill from under is what we are left to do with saloon cars and MPV, which is hard work.Well the garage would blast the remainder of the fluid out with compressed air.My take is,do not bother about the remains in the torque converter unit,just use recommended ATF then U are fine, while you are it, are you also going to change the filter and gasket?they mix after a while,what you are xpiriencing has been an issue to many Mechs.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
domack99: Am Planning to change my MDX ATF and am just wondering if the entire fluid in the trans system can be drained by just opening the drain nut under. A friend change his ATF recently and all we did was to remove the drain nut and left it for about one and half hour to drain. We got a whole four gallon paint bucket filled up and some drain to a bigger bowl that could fill more than a litre bottle. The amount of old fluid drained would be up to six litre plus. We replaced with five litres of AFT, though it gauge to the desire level when measure with the deep stick but what i could deduce is that more was taken out of the tranny than replaced

It's possible to have drained "some" of the oil in the converter.

If ye Gods were smiling and all the drain holes happened to line up then it's possible.

"Most" oil changes, not flushes, account for the fact that some "dirty" oil would remain in the converter.

On a side note, I loved reading this. Some certain elements would have us believe that Nigerians do not do preventative maintenance or not equipped to do one wink

I get shocked daily.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
erico2k2:
I thought as Much, refill from under is what we are left to do with saloon cars and MPV, which is hard work.Well the garage would blast the remainder of the fluid out with compressed air.My take is,do not bother about the remains in the torque converter unit,just use recommended ATF then U are fine, while you are it, are you also going to change the filter and gasket?they mix after a while,what you are xpiriencing has been an issue to many Mechs.

Try on the BMW 740iL where you have to have the car level and the engine running as you pump oil in it from underneath shocked
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by erico2k2(m): 6:57pm On Sep 22, 2014
CityNG:

Try on the BMW 740iL where you have to have the car level and the engine running as you pump oil in it from underneath shocked
Thats the one brove ahah, I think in most saloons that's what you have to do or risk killing the transmition.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 22, 2014
erico2k2:
Thats the one brove ahah, I think in most saloons that's what you have to do or risk killing the transmition.

I did it one time and after I was done I actually broke out in a panic because I realized that I did not set the parking brake while the car was on jack stands I swore I checked all the safety things twice). I also worked alone another very big no no.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by erico2k2(m): 8:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
CityNG:

I did it one time and after I was done I actually broke out in a panic because I realized that I did not set the parking brake while the car was on jack stands I swore I checked all the safety things twice). I also worked alone another very big no no.
aahh U lucky U aint got panic attack,Im actualy gonna do the change on my Jeep liberty when I go to Nigeria December, the liberty survived the last Huracane in New Jersey so its gonna be messy, I already got the gasket along with the filter but at least I'm filling from the top.I did a lil DIY on my BIMA today, will post in the BMW section in a bit with pics.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:35pm On Sep 22, 2014

the only way to change the oil in the converter is to separate the gearbox from the engine and take out the converter eampty it and refill

thats the reason why garages we flush 3 or 4 times flush of the gearbox oil, the reason is the more you flush the more you dilute fresh oil the converter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk3n_ss0x5s

a converter being open, this video helps to undersatnd thats a simple flush wont dilute much oil in the converter
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by erico2k2(m): 9:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

the only way to change the oil in the converter is to separate the gearbox from the engine and take out the converter eampty it and refill

thats the reason why garages we flush 3 or 4 times flush of the gearbox oil, the reason is the more you flush the more you dilute fresh oil the converter

a converter being open, this video helps to undersatnd thats a simple flush wont dilute much oil in the converter
That wont be DIY no more bro lol
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by domack99(m): 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

Thanks, i can see there is no way to get the fluid out except taken out the converter itself. thanks for the video
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:28am On Sep 23, 2014
erico2k2:
That wont be DIY no more bro lol

i wanted him see the converter its self and its shape, that would help him to understand why its not possible drain all the oil in the converter without seperating the gearbox from the engine and get out the converter
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by erico2k2(m): 9:07am On Sep 23, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

i wanted him see the converter its self and its shape, that would help him to understand why its not possible drain all the oil in the converter without seperating the gearbox from the engine and get out the converter
Noted brov
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by kenmaro: 1:23pm On Sep 23, 2014
You could drain the fluid in torque converter but if your car mileage is above 80k, i will advice you just do normal drain, filter change, and refill. Flushing or power flushing high mileage trannys sometimes results to the tranny malfuctioning after the flush especially if the tranny atf has not been changed at anytime. After the normal drain, filter change, and refilling you have done, locate the hose outlet line taking atf from the tranny to the radiator cooler line, remove the clamps on the hose. Set a catch bowl underneath the car at the point of the hose, have someone to start the car, unplug the hose and put the gear in drive, old/dirty atf will start pumping out through the hose. Be very observant, as the dirty atf comes out you will notice it becomes cleaner gradually until you observe a more clean and translucent atf coming out then shut the engine and plug the hose back with the clamps attached properly and gauge the tranny atf. You could get the old/dirty atf (about a litre) trapped in the torque converter out through this method.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:50pm On Sep 23, 2014
kenmaro: You could drain the fluid in torque converter but if your car mileage is above 80k, i will advice you just do normal drain, filter change, and refill. Flushing or power flushing high mileage trannys sometimes results to the tranny malfuctioning after the flush especially if the tranny atf has not been changed at anytime. After the normal drain, filter change, and refilling you have done, locate the hose outlet line taking atf from the tranny to the radiator cooler line, remove the clamps on the hose. Set a catch bowl underneath the car at the point of the hose, have someone to start the car, unplug the hose and put the gear in drive, old/dirty atf will start pumping out through the hose. Be very observant, as the dirty atf comes out you will notice it becomes cleaner gradually until you observe a more clean and translucent atf coming out then shut the engine and plug the hose back with the clamps attached properly and gauge the tranny atf. You could get the old/dirty atf (about a litre) trapped in the torque converter out through this method.

do you know a torque converter?
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by kenmaro: 9:59am On Sep 27, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

do you know a torque converter?

Ofcourse i do. I have used this method and i was able to flush and replace all my old tranny fluids. You could google it up too. Also, you could use fluid exchanging machines to power flush and change all the old fluids completely though it's more expensive but it's available in selected outlets in Lagos.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:04pm On Sep 27, 2014
kenmaro:

Ofcourse i do. I have used this method and i was able to flush and replace all my old tranny fluids. You could google it up too. Also, you could use fluid exchanging machines to power flush and change all the old fluids completely though it's more expensive but it's available in selected outlets in Lagos.

flushing and completely draining are two different things

the guy asked about completely draining the converter which cant be be done unless the gearbox and engine are seperated

flushing is a simple adding and drain untill the the oil dilutes the dirty or old hence the reason we recommend flushing 3 to 4 times

thats why also we have to figures for transmission fluid, one is for flushing then the other one is a for complete overhaul, the the overhaul it is more than of the flush because the torque

a flush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZbA-OqoPJQ

then the torque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbsgpp2YJQ

on 8.10 the torque comes in view pliz tell me how you drain that circular torque without seperating the gearbox and engine ?
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by sultaan(m): 7:07pm On Sep 27, 2014

You did the right thing but check on the procedure for gaging fill level some cars require that you are on a level ground engine warm and running at idle in P/N. you may still have to top it off.I hope you used DW-1.

Manufacturer recommend 20,000 mile interval for same reason.Honda doesnot require filter you wil have to pull the transmission apart to change it more like a strainer.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by Macmilla(m): 6:34am On Oct 01, 2014
Please is this fluid good for 2001 Honda accord? I can't get DW-1 around and I need to do a drain.

Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by domack99(m): 5:25pm On Oct 02, 2014
Macmilla: Please is this fluid good for 2001 Honda accord? I can't get DW-1 around and I need to do a drain.

Bros to get a DW-1 is no biggy, contact Rowland 08039121412, I think his nairaland ID is luvvyhubby or so. Avoid using anyhow ATF for Honda
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 03, 2014
Guess I have to sit and learn. Domack99 I greet you.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by domack99(m): 7:23am On Oct 04, 2014
pasino26: Guess I have to sit and learn. Domack99 I greet you.

Hi Pasino26, how PH, how far with your MDX procurement??
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 04, 2014
domack99:

Hi Pasino26, how PH, how far with your MDX procurement??

Men as am writing this am heading to Enugu where my bro is with the car cuz he's the one using it. Apparently he got swindled with a fake Mobil 1 oil and I had to change the metal.But the twist now is, like he reported there's this knocking metallic sound still coming off when you rev the car. The advice he got was a total engine overhaul even after the fixing and change of a better oil. So what's your take on it. I was gonna call you and create a thread for it. They advice him not to travel far with the car until this is done. Engine is fine but just that sound it makes as it was when the bad oil spoiled the metal. So pls help
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by domack99(m): 7:47am On Oct 09, 2014
pasino26:

Men as am writing this am heading to Enugu where my bro is with the car cuz he's the one using it. Apparently he got swindled with a fake Mobil 1 oil and I had to change the metal.But the twist now is, like he reported there's this knocking metallic sound still coming off when you rev the car. The advice he got was a total engine overhaul even after the fixing and change of a better oil. So what's your take on it. I was gonna call you and create a thread for it. They advice him not to travel far with the car until this is done. Engine is fine but just that sound it makes as it was when the bad oil spoiled the metal. So pls help

Apology, I have really been engulf with office work lately. Have you open another thread for this concern, it will be better if you do and give more detail of the situation. can you give me a call
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by dkt001(m): 2:30pm On Oct 09, 2014
Pls I have a challenge with my 2005 acura mdx. The check engine light and vtm-4 light is on. There is also a slight jerk on idling. Pls should I do about it. The exhaust was hitting the underbody of the car while I was travelling.was about going to fix that when I saw the vtm-4 and check engine light on. Pls help with expert advice.
Re: How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? by erico2k2(m): 6:24pm On Oct 13, 2014
dkt001:
Pls I have a challenge with my 2005 acura mdx. The check engine light and vtm-4 light is on. There is also a slight jerk on idling. Pls should I do about it. The exhaust was hitting the underbody of the car while I was travelling.was about going to fix that when I saw the vtm-4 and check engine light on. Pls help with expert advice.
l
Same.song I will sing to you.SCAN ur car and come back with the codes

(1) (Reply)

Engine Number Location Lexus RX330 / Infiniti FX35 Vs Toyota 4runner For A Lagos-Enugu Trip? / Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.