Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,609 members, 7,770,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:05 PM

What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? (4089 Views)

MATLAB Training Is The Solution To Your Scientific Computation Problem / Algorithm For Computation Of Sine, Tangent, Cosine Without Calculator / Is Java The Right Programming Language For Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by Javanian: 1:54pm On Sep 23, 2014
Fortran: Anyone who thinks FORTRAN is some ancient archaic language is speaking out of nothing but sheer ignorance. Lauded by many as the numero uno of Programming Languages in Scientific Computation combined with its amazing speed (the fastest high level language), It seats on my number one spot in computational science. It's easy to learn, use and its imperative structure and enables fast prototyping coupled with support for arrays, modular programming and generic programming, object-oriented programming and concurrent programming.

It is used in computationally intensive areas such as numerical weather prediction, finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, computational physics and computational chemistry. (wikipedia)

Cons: Poor File I/O support.

Python: With the numpy library, ipython interactive shell and SciPy Library, Python is preferred by many in area of scientific computation. Its rise in fame over the past decade coupled with its legacy to put code readability over every other thing, it has been tipped by many to lead the trail in scientific computation in a decade from now.

Cons: Slow for time critical tasks, Most people use it for prototyping and implement code in Fortran or C.

C: Has numerous libraries for Scientific Computation. Its speed and power has made it the preferred choice in actual code implementation.

Cons: It's a low level language, makes fast prototyping difficult.

MATLAB: Preferred by scientist who don't have a solid programming background because of its interactive environment and visualization and easy to learn nature. Developed by a Numerical analyst and its fame in academia makes it a much preferred choice to use.

Cons: Slow, most of the critical parts are eventually written partly or entirely in C and Fortran.

The order is totally my opinion, feel free to disagree or/and add yours.

http://www.solomonubani.com/2014/09/favorite-languages-for-numerical.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by GodMode: 2:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
How will this languages put food on the table

This your numerical this arithmetical that can't take Nigerian coders forward.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by sarutobi: 4:03pm On Sep 23, 2014
Javanian: Fortran: Anyone who thinks FORTRAN is some ancient archaic language is speaking out of nothing but sheer ignorance. Lauded by many as the King of Programming Languages in Scientific Computation combined with its amazing speed (the fastest high level language), It seats on my number one spot in computational science. It's easy to learn, use and its imperative structure and enables fast prototyping coupled with support for arrays, modular programming and generic programming, object-oriented programming and concurrent programming.

It is used in computationally intensive areas such as numerical weather prediction, finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, computational physics and computational chemistry. (wikipedia)

Python: With the numpy library, ipython interactive shell and SciPy Library, Python is preferred by many in area of scientific computation. It's rise in fame over the past decade coupled with its legacy to put code readability over every other thing, it has been tipped by many to lead the trail in scientific computation in a decade from now.

Cons: Slow for time critical tasks, Most people use it for prototyping and implement code in Fortran or C.

C: Has numerous libraries for Scientific Computation. It's speed and power has made it the preferred choice in actual code implementation.

MATLAB: Preferred by scientist who don't have a solid programming background because of it's interactive environment and visualization and easy to learn nature. Developed by a Numerical analyst and it's fame in academia makes it a much preferred choice to use.

Cons: Slow, most of the critical parts are eventually written partly or entirely in C and Fortran.

I agree with you.

You can also check out R. From their site (http://www.r-project.org/): "R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics".
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by Javanian: 4:11pm On Sep 23, 2014
sarutobi:

I agree with you.

You can also check out R. From their site (http://www.r-project.org/): "R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics".

Read some bad reviews about it, heard the language is poorly designed although it is excellent as a Computation Science language.
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by Javanian: 4:12pm On Sep 23, 2014
GodMode: How will this languages put food on the table

Thread is exclusive to scientists. cool

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 23, 2014
cool
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by rusher14: 5:25am On Sep 24, 2014
GodMode: How will this languages put food on the table

Bless Lawd!

There's always one
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by BlueMagnificent(m): 9:59am On Sep 24, 2014
C++ my love grin, a very good companion of mine as an engineer

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by WhiZTiM(m): 11:23am On Sep 24, 2014
Javanian: Fortran: Anyone who thinks FORTRAN is some ancient archaic language is speaking out of nothing but sheer ignorance. Lauded by many as the numero uno of Programming Languages in Scientific Computation combined with its amazing speed (the fastest high level language), It seats on my number one spot in computational science. It's easy to learn

... Fixed smiley ...... :-P
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by WhiZTiM(m): 11:37am On Sep 24, 2014
Nice post.... FORTRAN's grammar allows more aggressive optimizations and vectorization than any other language I know of... For some domain, it boils down to optimizers....
. . .
Python's scipy is what is universally preferred for Academic projects......

C++ is the apparent choice of computationally intensive apps like Maya, Cenima4D, Adobe AE, PS... etc.. Autodesk guys... etc..
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by Javanian: 3:42pm On Sep 24, 2014
WhiZTiM:
... Fixed smiley ...... :-P

tongue cheesy

FORTRAN is the fastest high level language. I just hope you are not considering C++ a high level language because it isn't. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by uzoexcel(m): 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2014
unfortunately MATLAB undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by WhiZTiM(m): 6:03pm On Sep 24, 2014
Javanian:

tongue cheesy

FORTRAN is the fastest high level language. I just hope you are not considering C++ a high level language because it isn't. I stand to be corrected though.

That's from a biased angle...
. See.. That's the more reason to love C++.. grin... Some think its a low level, some, middle, others high... At least it models an abstract machine just enough to accommodate almost every program's needs.

Scientific computing is multidisciplinary... And the CPUs aren't getting faster by clock rates... Rather, by Logical cores and multithreading capacity....

Hence, its now about parallelism...
And believe me, not many algorithms and computationally intensive routines can be paralleled.... That's where the next breakthrough is, concurrency!

So, whether C++ or FORTRAN, .... Concurrency counts. Ofcause the OS task scheduler and language support runtimes matter... C++ would suit large scientific applications without really sacrificing speed in my opinion.....
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by Javanian: 6:20pm On Sep 24, 2014
WhiZTiM:

That's from a biased angle...
. See.. That's the more reason to love C++.. grin... Some think its a low level, some, middle, others high... At least it models an abstract machine just enough to accommodate almost every program's needs.

Scientific computing is multidisciplinary... And the CPUs aren't getting faster by clock rates... Rather, by Logical cores and multithreading capacity....

Hence, its now about parallelism...
And believe me, not many algorithms and computationally intensive routines can be paralleled.... That's where the next breakthrough is, concurrency!

So, whether C++ or FORTRAN, .... Concurrency counts. Ofcause the OS task scheduler and language support runtimes matter... C++ would suit large scientific applications without really sacrificing speed in my opinion.....

Biased opinion? I wasn't saying fortran is faster than C++, i only said C++ won't be considered a High level language for obvious reasons hence Fortran stands as the fastest high level language. I concur with every other thing you said. I won't even consider fortran when it comes to mission critical and resource intensive applications. In that area C++ is certainly the way to go.
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by yahoofak(m): 6:07am On Aug 11, 2016
Ever heard of Julia ?
Re: What Is Your Favorite Language For Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computation? by neightman: 4:47pm On Aug 11, 2016
Javanian:
Fortran: Anyone who thinks FORTRAN is some ancient archaic language is speaking out of nothing but sheer ignorance. Lauded by many as the numero uno of Programming Languages in Scientific Computation combined with its amazing speed (the fastest high level language), It seats on my number one spot in computational science. It's easy to learn, use and its imperative structure and enables fast prototyping coupled with support for arrays, modular programming and generic programming, object-oriented programming and concurrent programming.

Python: With the numpy library, ipython interactive shell and SciPy Library, Python is preferred by many in area of scientific computation. Its rise in fame over the past decade coupled with its legacy to put code readability over every other thing, it has been tipped by many to lead the trail in scientific computation in a decade from now.

C: Has numerous libraries for Scientific Computation. Its speed and power has made it the preferred choice in actual code implementation.

MATLAB: Preferred by scientist who don't have a solid programming background because of its interactive environment and visualization and easy to learn nature. Developed by a Numerical analyst and its fame in academia makes it a much preferred choice to use.

http://www.solomonubani.com/2014/09/favorite-languages-for-numerical.html

You also have Haskell, Scala, and Julia.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Online Chat App / Mass Email Sending: Frustrations Of A Yahoo Wannabe / Is It Wise To Build A Startup As A Developer In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.