Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,146 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Thyroid Disease And Weight Loss/gain - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Thyroid Disease And Weight Loss/gain (2390 Views)

Total Thyroidectomy. Have You Had Your Thyroid Removed? Please Share Your / Hyperthyroidism (overactive Thyroid) Test / Weight Loss/gain For Ladies Trying To Conceive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thyroid Disease And Weight Loss/gain by desperatetowin(f): 2:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
Hello Forum,

Please call me Nneoma, am 32 years old, 5'' 8' in height, currently weighing in at 145kg,battling Hypothyrodism and REALLY FRUSTRATED angry and currently suicidal.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and likely goitre about 3 years ago, was placed on oral hormone replacement (Thyroxine) which i have to take everyday at the same time of the day,,,,,am tired of doing this and i don't know if there is anyone who has won the weight gain battle with Hypothyriodism that i can talk to and share concerns/experiences with.

Am especially battling with my weight and hoping there might be someone here with thyroid issues too who can assist in what to do and not do cos am losing my mind seriously,,,,,,i have gone from a size 16 to a size 24 in 4 years. I know the implications of being overweight and God knows am trying to fight it ,,,am currently on a very tight exercise regimen and being through to it for over 4 weeks now but its not going off,,,,,not even in .0,instead it keeps adding and adding,,,,,am really sad cos not only is it affecting every aspect of my life negatively,,,it's taking my joy and self exteem away,,,i can't go out anymore cos i dnt want people who knew me before to see me,,,i can't go shopping for clothes cos i'll always never get my size, taking public transport is painful cos everyone frowns and complains that you are taking up all the space, people make me the butt of their jokes and i have to sometimes painfully smile through it but inside, am crying,,,everybody calls you one name or the other,i can't even take my kids out cos people always laugh at me and i feel so bad that my husband suffers the same embarrasment for my sake,,i do,i really need help.

Heaven knows am very very active and i exercise as much as i can while still trying to diet but the scale won't budge,,,,,,,,,,,please someone help me,,,i don't want to die,,,i want to live for my kids,cos i know if i keep getting big at this rate, am not going to make it,,,,i'v tried starvation, weight loss drinks and shakes,,body magic, shake off,,,forever,,and all sorts.

Am unhappy,,,,and am unable to look at my body in the mirror,,,,,i have been having suicidal thoughts lately and its scarying me,,who is going to take care of my kids if anything happens to me,,,,,this frustration is killing me.

I don't know who else to talk to because everyone just thinks its all about food and laziness.

Someone,,anyone,,,please help me.
Re: Thyroid Disease And Weight Loss/gain by desperatetowin(f): 2:49pm On Sep 23, 2014
Imagine someone telling her little daughter who was crying for a bottle of drink - Ada, you don't need any more drink oh abi you want to be like aunty Nneoma- and unfortunaltely i heard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

People point and laugh,,it's killing me,,,,,,,
Re: Thyroid Disease And Weight Loss/gain by edwife(f): 6:45pm On Sep 23, 2014
I have read your story and i was very touched by it.I am a mother and i know how you feel,never will i wish to leave my kids at the mercy of anyone not even their dad.

I have made some researches and i really hope this gives you answers.

An unexplained change in weight is one of the most common signs of a thyroid disorder. Weight gain may signal low levels of thyroid hormones, a condition called hypothyroidism
In contrast, if the thyroid produces more hormones than the body needs, you may lose weight unexpectedly. This is known as hyperthyroidism. Hypothyroidism is far more common.

Thyroid hormones affect nearly every organ in the body and can influence how quickly the heart beats. People with hypothyroidism may notice their heart rate is slower than usual. Hypothyroidism tends to make people feel tired, sluggish and depressed.

People with hypothyroidism may feel cold more often than usual.

Other symptoms of hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism can cause many other symptoms, including:
Dry skin and brittle nails
Numbness or tingling in the hands
Constipation
Heavy menstrual periods.

If you are diagnosed with hypothyroidism, your doctor will probably prescribe thyroid hormones in the form of a tablet. This usually leads to noticeable improvements within a couple of weeks. Long-term treatment can result in more energy, lower cholesterol levels and gradual weight loss. Most people with hypothyroidism will need to take thyroid hormones for the rest of their lives.

To ensure that you remain as healthy as possible it is important to eat the right variety of foods in the correct proportions. For example, choose low fat, low calorie spread rather than butter or ordinary margarines, avoid high salt intake and cut down on hidden fats & sugars (cakes, biscuits, chocolate)

Some calcium rich foods and supplements interfere with levothyroxine absorption. A gap of 4 hours between the two would be adequate to ensure there is no significant impact on blood thyroxine levels. If you are trying to lose weight and using lower fat milk (i.e. semi-skimmed or skimmed) note that these remain high in calcium despite being lower in fat.

Soya interferes with thyroxine absorption, therefore if you are taking thyroxine you should try to avoid soya. If you wish to take soya, there should be as long a time interval as possible between eating the soya and taking the thyroxine

any thyroid patients struggle with constipation, and extra weight. One of the key tactics that can help is increasing fiber intake, particularly from foods. Here is a list of high-fiber foods for thyroid patients :

Lima beans
Mushrooms
Potato with skin
Pumpkin, canned
Peas -- black-eyed peas, green peas
Peppers
Sweet Potatoes
Avocado
Beans
Carrot
Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans
Eggplant
Keep in mind, however, that if you switch to a high-fiber diet, you should get your thyroid checked in eight to twelve weeks to see if you need a dosage adjustment, as fiber can affect absorption of medication.

fruits:
Apples
Avocado
Bananas
Dried Fruits -- Figs, Raisins, Apricots, Dates, etc.
Guava
Kiwi
Orange
Pears
Prunes
Bread, whole grain

One of the most powerful things thyroid patients can do to help their health and metabolism is to drink enough water . Water helps your metabolism function more efficiently, and can help reduce your appetite, get rid of water retention and bloating, improve your digestion and elimination, and combat constipation. Some experts even say that we should drink one ounce of water per pound of scale weight.
Exercise
A discussion on thyroid disease and good health isn’t complete without stressing the importance of physical activity.

I wish you well and goodluck smiley
It is well

2 Likes

Re: Thyroid Disease And Weight Loss/gain by Jodesky(m): 6:05am On Oct 02, 2014
@ Edwife,
Thanks for your brilliant write-up. Its very detailed and instructive.
In the same vein, can you advise on hyperthyroidism and how best to control it since the general myth is that it cant be cured.
Waiting eagerly for your response.

(1) (Reply)

5 Things You Didnt Know About Male Masturbation!!!!!" / Golden Melon / See What The Doctor Recommended For My Pimples Ance And Oily Face

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.