Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

The Neuroscientific Basis Of David's Conquest Over Goliath. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Neuroscientific Basis Of David's Conquest Over Goliath. (679 Views)

The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath / Goliath Skull Was Discovered in Holy Land! / The Basis Of Human Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Neuroscientific Basis Of David's Conquest Over Goliath. by Nobody: 2:20am On Sep 24, 2014
Please note: The following piece was never meant to demystify the mysterious wonders of my wonderful God. Let’s pick our neurological spectacles and theological walking sticks as we become utterly inundated with the light of understanding.

Reference: 1 Samuel 17

Goliath’s height was six cubits and a span (approximately 2.5–3 m). The only condition which could have caused such tallness is acromegaly which arises possibly because of the tumour of the anterior pituitary gland. Goliath was not nippy at all possibly because of his arthropathy and myopathy which are signs of acromegaly.
Goliath sustained an appurtenant visual defect caused by the pituitary tumour which allowed David to sneak up unnoticed. This is corroborated in (I Samuel 17: 43): “The Philistine said to David, “Am I a dog, that you are coming after me with sticks?””, whereas it is more likely that David held only one stick; and in (I Samuel 17:41): “and the man that bare the shield went before him.” This man who went before this leviathan was most likely his searchlight to noticing the enemy’s presence.

The pituitary macroadenoma caused bitemporal hemianopsia as a result of optic chiasma compression in the suprasellar region. Goliath’s brother and some of his sons had similar physical appearance so it was genetic. (2 Samuel 21)

1 Samuel 17:49, “And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead that the stone sunk into his forehead.” According to contemporary ballistic analysis, such a high-velocity head injury could have killed even a healthy person from a distance of 30–40 m. It can be inferred that Goliath had enlarged frontal sinuses with a thinner frontal bone as a consequence of acromegaly, which could have made the stone penetrate deeply without ricocheting like a ‘strong’ shot played against a football net. The pituitary tumour could have rested long on the Circle of Willis thereby enfeebling the vessels, which could have been the source of bleeding. There could have been an acute occlusion of the Foramen of Monro due to bleeding, which could have led to acute decerebration. Intracranial pressure would have been increased beyond compensation (Monro-Kelly’s hypothesis) causing a transtentorial herniation leading to unconsciousness. He died after the decapitation but the stone made him unconscious.

Thanks for reading. May the Chief Host of Heaven decapitate any 'stronghead' risen against you. Happy Sunday!
Re: The Neuroscientific Basis Of David's Conquest Over Goliath. by MykLANNY(m): 3:54am On Sep 24, 2014
Story story... Forget the story and give God the glory... It was God that helped david killed goliath.. It was not the xtics of goliath...tanks for reading..

1 Like

Re: The Neuroscientific Basis Of David's Conquest Over Goliath. by Nobody: 4:14am On Sep 24, 2014
Thats just a fable. Anyone noticed how, in the paintings Goliath grew smaller as we got older?

1 Like

Re: The Neuroscientific Basis Of David's Conquest Over Goliath. by Nobody: 5:41am On Sep 24, 2014
drmarkgeorge: Please note: The following piece was never meant to demystify the mysterious wonders of my wonderful God. Let’s pick our neurological spectacles and theological walking sticks as we become utterly inundated with the light of understanding.

Goliath’s height was six cubits and a span (approximately 2.5–3 m). The only condition which could have caused such tallness is gigantism which arises possibly because of the tumour of the anterior pituitary gland. Goliath was not nippy at all possibly because of his arthropathy and myopathy which are signs of gigantism.
Goliath sustained an appurtenant visual defect caused by the pituitary tumour which allowed David to sneak up unnoticed. This is corroborated in (I Samuel 17: 43): “The Philistine said to David, “Am I a dog, that you are coming after me with sticks?””, whereas it is more likely that David held only one stick; and in (I Samuel 17:41): “and the man that bare the shield went before him.” This man who went before this leviathan was most likely his searchlight to noticing the enemy’s presence.

The pituitary macroadenoma caused bitemporal hemianopia as a result of optic chiasma compression in the Turkish saddle. Goliath’s brother and some of his sons had similar physical appearance so it was genetic. (2 Samuel 21)

1 Samuel 17:49, “And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead that the stone sunk into his forehead.” According to contemporary ballistic analysis, such a high-velocity head injury could have killed even a healthy person from a distance of 30–40 m. It can be inferred that Goliath had enlarged frontal sinuses with a thinner frontal bone as a consequence of gigantism, which could have made the stone penetrate deeply without ricocheting like a ‘strong’ shot played against a football net. The pituitary tumour could have rested long on the Circle of Willis thereby enfeebling the vessels, which could have been the source of bleeding. There could have been an acute occlusion of the Foramen of Monro due to bleeding, which could have led to acute decerebration. Intracranial pressure would have been increased beyond compensation (Monro-Kelly’s hypothesis) causing a transtentorial herniation leading to unconsciousness. He died after the decapitation but the stone made him unconscious.

Thanks for reading. May the Chief Host of Heaven decapitate any 'stronghead' risen against you. Happy Sunday!
switched gigantism for acromegaly.

sad if u want to impress anyone with medical terms spell them well too. Anopia is not d same as anopsia.

1 Like

Re: The Neuroscientific Basis Of David's Conquest Over Goliath. by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 24, 2014
Silkmoth33: switched gigantism for acromegaly.

sad if u want to impress anyone with medical terms spell them well too. Anopia is not d same as anopsia.

An anopsia or anopia is a defect in the visual field. If the defect is only partial, then the portion of the field with the defect can be used to isolate the underlying cause.
source: [url][/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anopsia]

Acromegaly (/ˌækrɵˈmɛɡəli/; from Ancient Greek άκρος akros "extreme" or "extremities" and μεγάλος megalos "large"wink is a syndrome that results when the anterior pituitary gland produces excess growth hormone (GH) after epiphyseal plate closure at puberty. A number of disorders may increase the pituitary's GH output, although most commonly it involves a tumor called pituitary adenoma, derived from a distinct type of cell (somatotrophs).

Acromegaly most commonly affects adults in middle age,[1] and can result in severe disfigurement, complicating conditions, and premature death if unchecked. Because of its pathogenesis and slow progression, the disease is hard to diagnose in the early stages and is frequently missed for years until changes in external features, especially of the face, become noticeable.

Acromegaly is often associated with gigantism.

source: [url][http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly]
Re: The Neuroscientific Basis Of David's Conquest Over Goliath. by jdilight(m): 12:13pm On Sep 24, 2014
drmarkgeorge: Please note: The following piece was never meant to demystify the mysterious wonders of my wonderful God. Let’s pick our neurological spectacles and theological walking sticks as we become utterly inundated with the light of understanding.

Goliath’s height was six cubits and a span (approximately 2.5–3 m). The only condition which could have caused such tallness is acromegaly which arises possibly because of the tumour of the anterior pituitary gland. Goliath was not nippy at all possibly because of his arthropathy and myopathy which are signs of acromegaly.

The pituitary macroadenoma caused bitemporal hemianopsia as a result of optic chiasma compression in the suprasellar region. Goliath’s brother and some of his sons had similar physical appearance so it was genetic. (2 Samuel 21)

1 Samuel 17:49, “And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead that the stone sunk into his forehead.” According to contemporary ballistic analysis, such a high-velocity head injury could have killed even a healthy person from a distance of 30–40 m. It can be inferred that Goliath had enlarged frontal sinuses with a thinner frontal bone as a consequence of acromegaly, which could have made the stone penetrate deeply without ricocheting like a ‘strong’ shot played against a football net. The pituitary tumour could have rested long on the Circle of Willis thereby enfeebling the vessels, which could have been the source of bleeding. There could have been an acute occlusion of the Foramen of Monro due to bleeding, which could have led to acute decerebration. Intracranial pressure would have been increased beyond compensation (Monro-Kelly’s hypothesis) causing a transtentorial herniation leading to unconsciousness. He died after the decapitation but the stone made him unconscious.

Killing Goliath was not as important as killing the fear of confronting Goliath. David killed more giant after Goliath.
Re: The Neuroscientific Basis Of David's Conquest Over Goliath. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 24, 2014
drmarkgeorge:

An anopsia or anopia is a defect in the visual field. If the defect is only partial, then the portion of the field with the defect can be used to isolate the underlying cause.
source: [url][/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anopsia]

Acromegaly (/ˌækrɵˈmɛɡəli/; from Ancient Greek άκρος akros "extreme" or "extremities" and μεγάλος megalos "large"wink is a syndrome that results when the anterior pituitary gland produces excess growth hormone (GH) after epiphyseal plate closure at puberty. A number of disorders may increase the pituitary's GH output, although most commonly it involves a tumor called pituitary adenoma, derived from a distinct type of cell (somatotrophs).

Acromegaly most commonly affects adults in middle age,[1] and can result in severe disfigurement, complicating conditions, and premature death if unchecked. Because of its pathogenesis and slow progression, the disease is hard to diagnose in the early stages and is frequently missed for years until changes in external features, especially of the face, become noticeable.

Acromegaly is often associated with gigantism.

source: [url][http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly]

sad who be Dis one now. U just want to stress me up with ur stupid way of thought.

Smh!
Take it or leave it
Goliath had gigantism and not acromegaly. Hence his improbable height.

Since u have the time to check wiki. Why not delve thru d part for gigantism.

The fact that u prefer to use anopsia over anopia shows what little of the ophthalmologic field u know.

Go to the royal college of surgeons in Edinburgh, Scotland and get educated.
For now I can't be phased to teach u d difference BTW a synonym and what is completely d opposite antonym. Simple English language.

(1) (Reply)

Your Opinion!! Ipad Replacing Bible In The Church / Dame Jonathan At Enugu Adoration Ground / As A Child Of God Should I Play Gambling And Winnersbet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.