Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,071 members, 7,811,005 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

Difference Between Java And Javascript - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Difference Between Java And Javascript (3666 Views)

Live Question And Answer Section For Android, Java And Php From 7-10 Pm Everyday / Download 5 Free Ebooks - PHP, CSS, Fireworks, Dreamweaver And Javascript / Re: Java And Biometrics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Java And Javascript by osazekid(m): 12:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
I have searched the web but wasn't satisfied with what they are saying,pls nairalanders help me out
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 25, 2014
Key differences between Java and JavaScript:
Java is an OOP programming language while Java Script is
an OOP scripting language.
Java creates applications that run in a virtual machine or
browser while JavaScript code is run on a browser only.
Java code needs to be compiled while JavaScript code are
all in text.
They require different plug-ins.

Source : www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by osazekid(m): 6:17pm On Sep 25, 2014
Thanks i appreciate,didn't even see this on the web,thanks again
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by asalimpo(m): 9:47am On Sep 29, 2014
Download a book (books) on each language. Readup and you'll see da diff.

Corrections:
--------------------
javascript is also Functional.
- it has closures,lambdas and first class functions.
- javascript can b run standalone
- javascript can b run server side
(node.js comes to mind)
- javascript strted life as a web browser scriptg language.
It was first named livescript bf riding the java revolution and switchg its name for som free publicity (and confusion )
- it was created by brendan eich

Java:
--------
What's there to say about java?
+it's just there.
Celebrated it's 8 generation this year!
- it got functional this year.
Got lambdas too
- when java does somthing it does it right and does it the oop way.
E.g c++ had generics and enums but c++ version was messy.
When java did generics and enums - it came fully baked.

Java is heavy duty language. For desktop, server and phone /mobile programming.
Java's learning curve is steeper than javascript's.
The reference jvm for java is from Oracle.
Javascript has more than one competing Engine.
Google's V8,
mozilla's Rhino
and java's Nashorn engine (as at java 8 )

javascript borrows concepts from the java language as well as Lisp.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 29, 2014
Nice one
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by osazekid(m): 5:02pm On Sep 29, 2014
Nice one!,thank you grin
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by dhtml(m): 9:26pm On Sep 29, 2014
Java+Script = JavaScript! simple as 1,2,3

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by babatope88(m): 7:33am On Sep 30, 2014
dhtml: Java+Script = JavaScript! simple as 1,2,3
Abi o
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 30, 2014
@asalimpo Are u a java programmer?
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by asalimpo(m): 7:06pm On Sep 30, 2014
Djangocode: @asalimpo Are u a java programmer?
yes. Why?
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 11:57pm On Sep 30, 2014
asalimpo:
yes. Why?
Guessed so. The way u said C++ was messy n all when it comes to Enum n Generics.. When analyzing ur Lang, dont bash other langs cuz a C++ mafia might start an argument.. That i code in Python doesnt mean i'll say that Java's code is long n messy..
No offense tho..
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by asalimpo(m): 7:34am On Oct 01, 2014
Djangocode: Guessed so. The way u said C++ was messy n all when it comes to Enum n Generics.. When analyzing ur Lang, dont bash other langs cuz a C++ mafia might start an argument.. That i code in Python doesnt mean i'll say that Java's code is long n messy..
No offense tho..

if a non lisper said lisp had too many parenthesis and tht it shud use simpler namings like first , last instead of cadr,cdr, etc . You may say it's bashg. If Rich Hickey , said so, and created a lisp with less parenthesis and first,last,rest as keywords what wud u say?
You wudnt say he's bashg!

Bashg and criticism ar different.
Innovation requires finding faults with the old.
Like i said,java's enum and generics and exception handling is neater more consistent than c++.
Much like dhtml is neater and better than html (and this aint bashg).
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 7:37am On Oct 01, 2014
asalimpo:

if a non lisper said lisp had too many parenthesis and tht it shud use simpler namings like first , last instead of cadr,cdr, etc . You may say it's bashg. If Rich Hickey , said so, and created a lisp with less parenthesis and first,last,rest as keywords what wud u say?
You wudnt say he's bashg!

Bashg and criticism ar different.
Innovation requires finding faults with the old.
Like i said,java's enum and generics and exception handling is neater more consistent than c++.
Much like dhtml is neater and better than html (and this aint bashg).
Aight Sir..
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by osheno1(m): 9:30am On Oct 01, 2014
Java and Javascript are two different languages. Infact, they have nothing in common.
Java is a general-purpose, cross platform programming language.
While javascript is a scripting language that works mostly in a web browser.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Olumyco(m): 3:50am On May 27, 2015
osheno1:
Java and Javascript are two different languages. Infact, they have nothing in common.

Pls let's try to give info dat r up to date. JavaScript running in a browser was then. Now it runs not only on d browser but not on d server and also as a standalone.
JavaScript can be used to develop:
Web app
mobile apps
desktop apps
and also for embedded system.
As earlier said nodejs which is an I/o runtime platform for JavaScript helps to achieve d above just as JVM is to java.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Olumyco(m): 3:51am On May 27, 2015
osheno1:

Pls let's try to give info dat r up to date. JavaScript running in a browser was then. Now it runs not only on d browser but not on d server and also as a standalone.
JavaScript can be used to develop:
Web apps
mobile apps
desktop apps
and also for embedded system.
As earlier said nodejs which is an I/O runtime platform for JavaScript helps to achieve d above just as JVM is to java.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 9:31am On May 27, 2015
JavaScript is now on the same level with Java and other languages. Some will say but you need Node.js run-time for that to happen, but it is the same with other languages too except for C that allows low-level operations, they too need a a framework or a run-time enviromnment or something else before they can work.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 7:57am On May 28, 2015
Thanks all for updating the information
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Xtracoool(m): 8:17am On Jun 05, 2015
Key differences between Java and JavaScript:
Java is an OOP programming language while Java Script is
an OOP scripting language.
Java creates applications that run in a virtual machine or
browser while JavaScript code is run on a browser only.
Java code needs to be compiled while JavaScript code are
all in text.

They require different plug-ins.

Source : www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml

Just some clarification, although I didn't follow the link to read.

1. JavaScript no longer runs on browsers only. The nodejs framework is a testament to this. It's runs off a standalone version of the Google's V8 javascript engine.

2. JavaScript codes are now compiled. Yes compiled! The V8 engine was a game changer for JavaScript. Infact it's part of the reason why node's got off on a good ground.

3. JavaScript does not require any plug-ins. All browsers support it.

NOTE: Actually all browsers support the ECMAScript specifications, but this specification isn't as broad as the browser vendors would like. So some add vendor specific features. This accounts for the inconsistencies of JavaScript across browsers, Microsoft IE being the worst hit.

I think your link is outdated.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Xtracoool(m): 8:49am On Jun 05, 2015
asalimpo:
Download a book (books) on each language. Readup and you'll see da diff.

Corrections:
--------------------
javascript is also Functional.
- it has closures,lambdas and first class functions.
- javascript can b run standalone
- javascript can b run server side
(node.js comes to mind)
- javascript strted life as a web browser scriptg language.
It was first named livescript bf riding the java revolution and switchg its name for som free publicity (and confusion )
- it was created by brendan eich

Java:
--------
What's there to say about java?
+it's just there.
Celebrated it's 8 generation this year!
- it got functional this year.
Got lambdas too
- when java does somthing it does it right and does it the oop way.
E.g c++ had generics and enums but c++ version was messy.
When java did generics and enums - it came fully baked.

Java is heavy duty language. For desktop, server and phone /mobile programming.
Java's learning curve is steeper than javascript's.
The reference jvm for java is from Oracle.
Javascript has more than one competing Engine.
Google's V8,
mozilla's Rhino
and java's Nashorn engine (as at java 8 )

javascript borrows concepts from the java language as well as Lisp.

Java didn't get functional this year. It got functional with java8 release.

Bad copy and paste
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by seunthomas: 10:11pm On Jun 09, 2015
Very funny, you cant compare a Ferrari to a 1980 model Volkswagen bettle. Javascript is a very primitive language does not have the muscle of what Java can do. Even though we have frameworks like nodejs coming with async programming it still cant compete with Java. Java was from ground up well thought of. The only language that can compare with Java would be C# and the newer languages springing up right now like Go,Dart.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by FincoApps(m): 6:56pm On Jun 12, 2015
I don't really agree. I can say Java is better when it comes to embedded systems, but trust me Javascript can do all other things Java can do. That's why it is possible to convert a Processing sketch made in Java to Javascript using ProcessingJs.
seunthomas:
Very funny, you cant compare a Ferrari to a 1980 model Volkswagen bettle. Javascript is a very primitive language does not have the muscle of what Java can do. Even though we have frameworks like nodejs coming with async programming it still cant compete with Java. Java was from ground up well thought of. The only language that can compare with Java would be C# and the newer languages springing up right now like Go,Dart.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by seunthomas: 11:38am On Jun 14, 2015
FincoApps:
I don't really agree. I can say Java is better when it comes to embedded systems, but trust me Javascript can do all other things Java can do. That's why it is possible to convert a Processing sketch made in Java to Javascript using ProcessingJs.
You just started programming right We have been in this game for a while.LOL.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 14, 2015
seunthomas:

lol JavaScript can do anything Java can, please don't say this outside, JavaScript talks to another language to do something on anything platform

e.g Nodejs JS talks to C++, Qt Framework JS talks to C++ , Unity JS talks to C++ so seunthomas has a point
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by seunthomas: 12:01pm On Jun 14, 2015
pcguru1:

lol JavaScript can do anything Java can, please don't say this outside, JavaScript talks to another language to do something on anything platform

e.g Nodejs JS talks to C++, Qt Framework JS talks to C++ , Unity JS talks to C++ so seunthomas has a point
Thanks bro. Dont mind him. He is a learner. Na only him waka come(Patience GEJ).
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jun 14, 2015
According to a textbook I read a while ago, Javascript was banking on Java's popularity at the time so the word 'Java' was used to trick people into thinking JavaScript was just as good as Java [size=5pt]or something like that[/size]
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jun 14, 2015
seunthomas:

@fincoapps

Also I took Processing as a course in middle sex. Every language has a Graphic API c++ gdi,javascript Canvas and C# graphics class and java JGraphics not sure what happens here is that processing API are written in a way that you would understand them in Javascript. So they use the same method and signature. Look at lightgl a low level javascript library and Opengl. The methods are 100% identical but it's not C++ code it just converts them to similar JavaScript code. Same goes with that processing.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by FincoApps(m): 7:27am On Jun 15, 2015
Oh really, I also just finished my masters here in Middlesex. Anyway, I get your point.
pcguru1:

@fincoapps

Also I took Processing as a course in middle sex. Every language has a Graphic API c++ gdi,javascript Canvas and C# graphics class and java JGraphics not sure what happens here is that processing API are written in a way that you would understand them in Javascript. So they use the same method and signature. Look at lightgl a low level javascript library and Opengl. The methods are 100% identical but it's not C++ code it just converts them to similar JavaScript code. Same goes with that processing.
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by FincoApps(m): 7:37am On Jun 15, 2015
Please why are people saying Javascript can run standalone. It might not need an html page or a browser anymore but that doesn't mean it runs stand alone. Who has seen a .js file alone (without .html, or .cs or.java) just alone compile to run before. If you cannot compile a .Js file alone then its not stand alone.

Yes, it has really, really evolved, but it's still a scripting language
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 8:14am On Jun 15, 2015
FincoApps:
Oh really, I also just finished my masters here in Middlesex. Anyway, I get your point.

wait Fincoapp ........ Efe ?
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by FincoApps(m): 9:23am On Jun 15, 2015
haaaa Remi.... hahaha I didn't even know grin grin grin. No wonder, I was wondering who else could understand Processing and ProcessingJs like that. Your name should be JsGuru or PHPGuru
pcguru1:

wait Fincoapp ........ Efe ?
Re: Difference Between Java And Javascript by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 15, 2015
FincoApps:
haaaa Remi.... hahaha I didn't even know grin grin grin. No wonder, I was wondering who else could understand Processing and ProcessingJs like that. Your name should be JsGuru or PHPGuru

lol am all rounded i research what i use indepthly, i saw fincoapps and remembered when you mentioned Middlesex and processing. how you dey ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 20 Websites To Learn Coding With Java, Python, SQL, Algorithms, And Git For / ............... / The Greatest Challenge Of The Programming World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.