Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,362 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

For The Nurses And Nursing Students - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / For The Nurses And Nursing Students (9346 Views)

Nurses Forum: Let's Meet Here / Where Are The Nurses Thread On Nairaland / How Much Do Nurses Earn In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For The Nurses And Nursing Students by dora7891(f): 8:49pm On Sep 25, 2014
Drop in comments about your experience, do u like this career? is it worth it? would you advice others to come into this profession?. Anything that has something to do so with nursing.

1 Like

Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
...Dora...uh!. You've not been active on bbm. Can't find your number on my whatsapp again. ...
I will post my view soonest
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 25, 2014
PLS TAKE YOUR PATIENCE TO GO THROUGH THIS ..... THE HIDDEN SHAME THAT WILL KILL THE
NIGERIA NURSING PROFESSION

“For we who nurse, our nursing is something
which, unless we are making progress every
year, every month, every week, we are going
back. No system shall endure which does not
march.” - Florence Nightingale
My great grandmother occasionally reminded us
that, it is only your good enemy that will tell you
that your mouth smells and the clothes you put
are torn, and it is only a naturally cursed and
useless friend that will continue to fight that
enemy without wanting to transform or accept
transformations to defeat the enemy. Sometime
ago, I went to the hospital with a friend who
was ill and while in the ward with him, a
beautiful young lady walked in and asked one of
the nurses sitting and said “Ma, please let me
have the folder of that patient over there”, which
was given to him. I just saw her access a
patient one after the other, wrote something on
various files and walked away. As I looked at
the nurse, she was fuming with anger and made
an uncomplimentary remark, “all this small
doctors wey say them be physiotherapists will
just come here, touch some parts of the body
and government will pay them big salary, while
we earn nothing”
That word till date rings in my ear, and each
time I remember it; I feel pity for nurses. That I
love Nurses have never been in doubt and the
love has never waned, despite the ills bedeviling
the profession. How come Physiotherapy which
is arguably a new profession ranked next to
Med/Surg in the scheme of service that Nurses
have become their enemies? How come that
Physiotherapy which began with nurses has
overtaken them from being just a technical
course to a professional course that Nurses
have to answer to them? I do not want to be
reminded that Medicine started as a technical
course as well, for I know; but one thing has
distinguished them – training, research and
pride of what they practice. These three things
are what have made Nursing the butt of jokes in
Nollywood today, where they are portrayed as
slaves to physicians. I'm pained; really pained,
knowing that it is not the true picture of things.
This lengthy piece which was borne out of
research with great assistance from a top
medical colleague will answer that.
In this part of the world, when the word
“Nursing or a Nurse is mentioned, it's simple
interpretation is “that is woman” and this is
attributed to the fact that, of course no tribe in
the Africa continent that has a word for a nurse
or nursing. Let us attempt to enroll more
females (say 70% of female and 30% males into
the medical schools for just two years, or allow
more physician, pharmacists and
physiotherapists (3 Ps) in the hospitals or allow
female member of such professions to head their
council for just two years and observed the
impressions and expressions of members of the
Nigeria communities, if the field would not be
communized and lose it respect. The licensure
exams nursing students write in every May and
In November of every year can be written and
passed confidently by a very good biology and
health science secondary student, but that same
student cannot even understand Medicine,
Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Dentistry nor Med.Lab
exams let alone to attempt them; but because it
known that, females brains don't want stress in
the acquiring of knowledge, the nursing council
exams, in both structures and patterns are
watered down that, even a pregnant woman at
second stage of labor will write and pass; in
other words, the SSCE and JAMB exams are
more difficult than the RN exams, and you think,
these other medical practitioners are not seeing
these?
For the nursing field to grow and be recognized
by the societies, it required constant researches
that will have direct impact on the improvement
of the lives of the people; but while the other
profession and their professionals are engaging
into researches and announcing the outcome to
the societies . (to be continued)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by dora7891(f): 12:32am On Sep 26, 2014
Samakinr: ...Dora...uh!. You've not been active on bbm. Can't find your number on my whatsapp again. ...
I will post my view soonest
u r
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 26, 2014
dora7891: u r
Just remember... We discussed bout ur musicals...singing. I don't wanna divulge a lot info herein. Samuel...OAU
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by dora7891(f): 5:06pm On Sep 26, 2014
Samakinr:
Just remember... We discussed bout ur musicals...singing. I don't wanna divulge a lot info herein. Samuel...OAU
ooooh aiit aiit well my bbm is kinda down and it only comes up once in awhile dunno watsup with it
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by AmooRidwan: 4:11pm On Oct 03, 2014
Pls What Is The Advantage And Disadvantages Of NUrsing For Male Or Should I Turnoff The Offered,pls Quick Response Cos I'm Really Confused
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by dora7891(f): 4:53pm On Oct 03, 2014
AmooRidwan: Pls What Is The Advantage And Disadvantages Of NUrsing For Male Or Should I Turnoff The Offered,pls Quick Response Cos I'm Really Confused
Do you really want to go for nursing if you do then as a guy u should know u be looked down on but that shouldn't bother you much if you want it. I can't really say much bout being a guy nurse, why don't you try it out, no harm trying.
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2014
AmooRidwan: Pls What Is The Advantage And Disadvantages Of NUrsing For Male Or Should I Turnoff The Offered,pls Quick Response Cos I'm Really Confused
You can't turn it off because as far as I know, it's a very good course. though it's one that, without proper motivation, you can really be frustrated. Frustrated with many things within this age long profession.
Your fears are not unfounded though. A mere 5.5% of nurses even in the states are males, where gender is not often put into option. You can expect this number to be much lower here on this shore. Hence, the stigma
The statistics above underline the real problem of nursing in Nigeria is which I summarized under these terms:
1. Lack of confidence : it is an African norm for a lady to be submissive to a male counterpart. Hence while a nurse is that answerable, submissive to a male doctor. Though, what you see in nollywood and in private clinics are not a true representation of what nursing is especially in teaching hospital. I've noticed that doctors respect male nurses more than female nurses. It's a guy to guy thing or else someone is arrogant
2. Lack of ambition/ debilitating complacency : we have only one PhD student in nursing in oau. Only one professor of nursing in Nigeria.. you can deduce from that
3. Dichotomy in nursing education. : nursing school must be scrapped if the profession wants any nadir of dignity. A diploma of three years?.. . It's really a shame... Even medical laboratory technology has since moved on. It is said that nursing school is not different from a glorified secondary school
I will expantiate on the above three points in further posts (or on request).
But on the positive side, nursing is a calling. It's a job where, though you may not be overly appreciated, you can be self fulfilled in helping out in the cause of humanity. It is a caring job. Job prospects is good, and outside this shore, it's VERY good. There's a good Avenue for career progression especially in academics and public health. A federal government employee can earn, as a starting salary, up to 110k. It's of course much higher in other climes where civil servants are much more appreciated. And the job is flexible enough to run a business along.
However, It will interest you to know that there's only one professor of nursing in Nigeria at the moment. This is in Alliance with the effect of the preponderance of females in nursing- a typical female nurse will, after school, marry a doctor and become a housewife without much ado in pursuing further education. (out of all the directors of the various professional medical councils in Nigeria, nursing is the only one represented with just a MSc holder!. However, like I'd said earlier, build your confidence, be ambitious that u wanna be great therein, think beyond the box, and you'll be in for a great career. Never study nursing and start comparing yourself with medical students.. You will be frustrated, especially in oau where u are neigbours... Your discipline as a nursing student can embarrass you at some points in your life... Even education students will/may ridicule you when they see you, a male in a white uniform working down the length of the campus, but really.. . The end justifies the means. Which includes a guarantee that you will have a good job after school... Compare to them

1 Like

Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by dora7891(f): 8:18pm On Oct 03, 2014
Samakinr:
You can't turn it off because as far as I know, it's a very good course. though it's one that, without proper motivation, you can really be frustrated. Frustrated with many things within this age long profession.
Your fears are not unfounded though. A mere 5.5% of nurses even in the states are males, where gender is not often put into option. You can expect this number to be much lower here on this shore. Hence, the stigma
The statistics above underline the real problem of nursing in Nigeria is which I summarized under these terms:
1. Lack of confidence : it is an African norm for a lady to be submissive to a male counterpart. Hence while a nurse is that answerable, submissive to a male doctor. Though, what you see in nollywood and in private clinics are not a true representation of what nursing is especially in teaching hospital. I've noticed that doctors respect male nurses more than female nurses. It's a guy to guy thing or else someone is arrogant
2. Lack of ambition/ debilitating complacency : we have only one PhD student in nursing in oau. Only one professor of nursing in Nigeria.. you can deduce from that
3. Dichotomy in nursing education. : nursing school must be scrapped if the profession wants any nadir of dignity. A diploma of three years?.. . It's really a shame... Even medical laboratory technology has since moved on. It is said that nursing school is not different from a glorified secondary school
I will expantiate on the above three points in further posts (or on request).
But on the positive side, nursing is a calling. It's a job where, though you may not be overly appreciated, you can be self fulfilled in helping out in the cause of humanity. It is a caring job. Job prospects is good, and outside this shore, it's VERY good. There's a good Avenue for career progression especially in academics and public health. A federal government employee can earn, as a starting salary, up to 110k. It's of course much higher in other climes where civil servants are much more appreciated. And the job is flexible enough to run a business along.
However, It will interest you to know that there's only one professor of nursing in Nigeria at the moment. This is in Alliance with the effect of the preponderance of females in nursing- a typical female nurse will, after school, marry a doctor and become a housewife without much ado in pursuing further education. (out of all the directors of the various professional medical councils in Nigeria, nursing is the only one represented with just a MSc holder!. However, like I'd said earlier, build your confidence, be ambitious that u wanna be great therein, think beyond the box, and you'll be in for a great career. Never study nursing and start comparing yourself with medical students.. You will be frustrated, especially in oau where u are neigbours... Your discipline as a nursing student can embarrass you at some points in your life... Even education students will/may ridicule you when they see you, a male in a white uniform working down the length of the campus, but really.. . The end justifies the means. Which includes a guarantee that you will have a good job after school... Compare to them
thnk u 4 dat ...phew
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by firstlady01(f): 8:19am On Oct 13, 2014
Gudmorning,pls wat do i do,am in italy my hussy wants me to study nursin in nig and i dont know how to go abt it.which of dis sch is d best is it school of nursin,college or university.thanks for ur response
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by firstlady01(f): 8:21am On Oct 13, 2014
Gudmorning,pls wat do i do,am in italy my hussy wants me to study nursin in nig and i dont know how to go abt it.&which of dis sch is d best is it school of nursin,college or university.thanks for ur response
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by dora7891(f): 8:37am On Oct 13, 2014
firstlady01:
Gudmorning,pls wat do i do,am in italy my hussy wants me to study nursin in nig and i dont know how to go abt it.&which of dis sch is d best is it school of nursin,college or university.thanks for ur response
id say u shuld get a degree in nursing... university 100%

1 Like

Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 13, 2014
firstlady01:
I understand your hubby asking you to study nursing. Outside this shore, nursing gives you a hope for a stable and very financial rewarding job but Why in Nigeria is what I don't understand.
However, to be cogent in my answers, you can be a RN either via school of Nursing or via the Uuniversity. Note that school of Nursing of 3yrs will offer you a diploma nursing certificate while the baccalaureate of 5yrs 6months (in OAU) will give u a Bsc in nursing. There's no discrimination in their Pay here in Nigeria (RN is the ultimate. A Bsc may fail the REGISTERED NURSE certificate exam. As such, she earns a bsc but not yet qualified as a nurse). Nevertheless, bsc is still preferable. .. It gives you a wider job opportunities.
Only 22 out of 144universities in Nigeria offers nursing degree. Virtually all universities in the southwest. There's no best university... Your RN issued by the nursing Council is what matters. If the university is accredited, it means it's Okay. Albeit, I will still prefer you go to a federal university or school of Nursing in views of the experience they will offer you.
If it's school of Nursing, you will have to write entrance exams which are more or less like jamb questions (admissions must have closed for this year). And if it's the university, jamb is the gateway and jamb form is on sale now. If you have a good A level result or minimum of 2:1 in biological sciences will qualify you for D. E

2 Likes

Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by firstlady01(f): 11:51pm On Oct 13, 2014
thanks for ur response.he wanted nig because i came to italy for visit and dont know how to speak & write d language.
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 14, 2014
firstlady01:
thanks for ur response.he wanted nig because i came to italy for visit and dont know how to speak & write d language.
Okay. So there you have your options. Further info may be given on request.

1 Like

Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by Emeka30: 11:15am On Feb 06, 2015
Nursing students are lucky to have this project. Are you sitting for nursing council? this is your project report
Factors Hindering the Implementation of Nursing Process (NP)
http://uniprojectsearch.com/factors-hinder…ing-process-np/

when you want to write on any field, topic or discipline first click on www.uniprojectsearch.com for guide
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by DrLazDevitan: 6:44pm On Feb 06, 2015
dora7891:
Do you really want to go for nursing if you do then as a guy u should know u be looked down on but that shouldn't bother you much if you want it. I can't really say much bout being a guy nurse, why don't you try it out, no harm trying.

Nobody looks down on any nurse-female or male.Be good where you are and those where they are we have you to take their crown on your head on and to the place where they have not been.
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by dora7891(f): 8:52pm On Feb 11, 2015
DrLazDevitan:

Nobody looks down on any nurse-female or male.Be good where you are and those where they are we have you to take their crown on your head on and to the place where they have not been.
ahhh where i'm from (naija ), dey still do, im talkin bout the male nurse, fact. we wait for the day people stop.
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by Nyckeh: 1:08pm On Dec 10, 2016
Please if this houses is still active I will like to ask a question...I planned to enroll in UCH Nursing school come 2017 and bf has said he's settling down for next year too though knows about my plan to go back to school and even ready to support me in whichever way. My question now is does nursing school accepts married students? What if there's a case of pregnancy along the line, is it acceptable or I have to put childbearing on hold till I graduate?
Will be waiting for your response, thanks.
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by ceejayluv(m): 10:26pm On Jan 07, 2017
Pleas house, My friend is planning to enroll In UCH nursing school and she needs to find out about the fees, schedule and other info. She would also appreciate if she can make contacts with any current nursing student of UCH here. Regards.
Re: For The Nurses And Nursing Students by sandyharrison(f): 6:43am On Jun 02, 2020
Almost everyone I know, knows someone that studied or wants to study Nursing. I made a detailed video on how to become a nurse in Nigeria ; the routes, their requirements, pros, cons and my personal opinions.

Click to watch�

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtN9kJVjo5k

Don't forget to subscribe, hit the like button and share to aspiring nurses�

(1) (Reply)

Diary Of A Field Worker / Work Hard Or Smart? What's Your Opinion? / Fg Removes Ceiling On Hnd Holders’ Ranking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.