Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,272 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

5 Things Fresh Graduates Should Know To Succed At Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Things Fresh Graduates Should Know To Succed At Work (855 Views)

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work / 6 Reasons Every Jobseeker And New Graduates Should Volunteer / All You Need To Succed In An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things Fresh Graduates Should Know To Succed At Work by tobechi74: 11:12pm On Sep 27, 2014
We know how proud you and your parents are of that degree. We get it. And we know you’ve been taught to believe that all you need to be successful is that certificate. Unfortunately, that piece of paper no longer makes you special in today’s workforce. Don’t believe me? Ask the millions of unemployed and under-employed graduates out there; some who come from schools with pedigree lines long enough to circle the earth.
Celebrate the win. Be proud of your commitment to education. You deserve this moment. Just realize that from the perspective of many decision makers in today’s job market, your college degree isn’t a differentiator so much as a minimum requirement.

ACCOMODATE FORCED LEARNING

the only way that you can binge learn is to know how to find course materials on your own and choose the sequence of those materials that works best for you. This means you can’t rely on someone else’s syllabus and you can’t rely on somebody laying out the steps for you.
In the workplace, to create our own value, we must create our own learning path. You have to unlearn the habit of waiting to be told what comes next in your education if you want to take control of your adult life.
Re: 5 Things Fresh Graduates Should Know To Succed At Work by tobechi74: 11:18pm On Sep 27, 2014
2. Studying for the grade you can get on the test

Adult life doesn’t give letter grades. Sometimes adult life gives promotions or if you’re good at sales you might win a trip to Hawaii for your family, but in general, the reward of adult life is being able to find a path that’s good for you and put yourself on it. There’s no letter grade for that because the only person who can judge whether it’s a good path or not is you

LEARNING THE JOB WHILE LEARNING YOURSELF

a gap year is when somebody finishes high school and takes a year off before university study, presumably because you don’t learn about yourself while you are studying, so taking time to learn about yourself is important enough to give it a whole year.
This is actually true that usually you don’t learn about yourself when you’re studying, because if people tell you what to study, then you gain no insight into who you are. But if you take a year off to learn about yourself, you reinforce the idea that education and self‑knowledge are two completely different things.
However, in the workforce, education and self‑knowledge through work are the twin tickets to adult happiness. If you’re not synchronized so that you have them moving together, you will always feel like you’re missing something.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things Fresh Graduates Should Know To Succed At Work by tobechi74: 11:22pm On Sep 27, 2014
4. Saying something even when there’s nothing to say

in a university, it is better to attempt an question you dont know.

In workfforce,it could cost you your job
Re: 5 Things Fresh Graduates Should Know To Succed At Work by XuteSleeks(m): 11:45pm On Sep 27, 2014
I'm hoping 'accommodate forced learning' means amass as many certificates as possible.

Here's what I've learnt... the certificates at least get you into the interview list. Subsequently you can showcase your ability to 'say something even when there's nothing to say'.
Re: 5 Things Fresh Graduates Should Know To Succed At Work by Lacoolmley: 1:57pm On Sep 28, 2014
Regarding the 4th point, I think i've learnt my lesson. Back in school, I would perform a task according to my understanding without fear of the consequences but this is now different in my workplace as I want to make sure I do the right thing. I got the job based on my certificates and was very eager to learn on the job. Little did I know that my new colleagues were unhappy with my position in the company. So whenever I confided in them concerning my limited experience and how I would like to learn from them, they used it against me and made the boss to look down on me. So now I have decided to be saying something even when there's nothing to say without caring if it would cost me my job.
Re: 5 Things Fresh Graduates Should Know To Succed At Work by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 29, 2014
can somebody help me out am really confused am about to round my HND program in electrical/electronic egnr. and regarding what I have been hearing about hearing the discrimination between HND an Bsc holders my question I should I g ahead to further for a degree program which will cost me extra years or should i go for PGD the masters please somebody who I highly inclined should help.me

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Your Advice / Tall Nairalanders In The House,is This True? / 5 Things You Must Bear In Mind Before Graduation From Higher Institution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.