Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,828 members, 7,956,140 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:09 AM

Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four (1796 Views)

An SUV Rammed Into Ditch In Awolowo Road (pictures) / What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? / I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 29, 2014
Toyota is pushing to lead the fuel economy race with an all-new new engine family, and the Camry will be the first non-hybrid car to reap the benefits.
As part of these sweeping changes coming to the brand’s powertrain lineup, the next-generation Camry is likely to ditch its naturally aspirated V6 in favor of a small displacement turbocharged four-cylinder engine.
The Japanese automaker’s long-term goal is to improve fuel economy by up to 30 percent while cutting costs on key components by up to 50 percent. Most recently, the company introduced a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine in the Lexus NX 200t with 228 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.
It is likely a similar powerplant will replace the Toyota Camry’s V6 for the sedan’s next generation, which could come as soon as 2016. The next-generation Camry will be the first vehicle to get the company’s full Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) treatment, complete with a new platform and engine. Toyota has a hurdle however, to see if American consumers will accept the idea of a turbo-four engine instead of the more traditional V6.
“Eventually we think this is where the technology is going, but right now we don’t know what the reaction of U.S. customers will be,” said Koei Saga, Toyota’s senior managing officer in charge of powertrain development. “So probably right up until the last moment, we will have to be ready with both and watch customer feedback.”

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/07/2016-toyota-camry-likely-ditch-v6-turbo-four.html
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by sultaan(m): 7:10pm On Sep 29, 2014
Really!

Ford ditched V6 engines 2 years ago all their 2013 Fusion come with 1.6t, 2.0t or 2.5 I4. Their turbo engines are called Ecoboost
Now the 1.6t is down to 1.5t and their V8 is being replaced with 3.5/3.7 Ecoboost.
The new Mustang has a new 2.7l Ecoboost. They are looking at a 1.0t in the Focus and Fiesta.

Hyundai/Kia came out with a 2.0t around 2010 they only have V6 for their Luxury Genesis Brand.
GM has a 1.4t, 2.0t and a 3.6tt in the CTS Vsport.

Toyota and Honda are the late comers to this game.

Now let me add a little bit of politics to this whole trend.

A long time ago when American government was looking at their way of reducing their oil demand between Bush and Obama time, they talked with the manufacturers on smaller engines and how they are going to pass a new CAFE standard on cars which will require them to reduce their average MPG this means the average miles per gallon their model lines have.
If you sell a lot of trucks which have a high mpg you will have to add some V6 trims and make more I4s.

In the past the smallest American car might have a 2.0l engine so when compared to a 1.6-1.8l Corolla it is never a fair fight, but now the ground is more leveled.I was listening to an Accord commercial yesterday and the Accord was being compared to a Fusion(what a change in fortune).The Accord is still a better car, but the fact that the Fusion is a competition in 3 generation and Optima in 2 is a win for consumers .
When Nigerians see the new Camry and its technology they praise Toyota, but those things were available in the competition years ago.
When I bought my Ford Fusion 5 years ago it had bluetooth and Ford Sync standard which means I can call out a name in my phone book and the car will dial that person or read out text message to me or find the nearest restaurant, movies theater and give turn by turn direction to the place.It will run a diagnostic on it self and send me an email of the report.If I get in an accident the car will call emergency services with its location.
Now why will I pay more for a Toyota that will look really dated in 2 years?

You need to know all that is available in the market for you to buy with your money, not just the noise of marketers.

1 Like

Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by icemann(m): 9:22pm On Sep 29, 2014
sultaan: Really!

Ford ditched V6 engines 2 years ago all their 2013 Fusion come with 1.6t, 2.0t or 2.5 I4. Their turbo engines are called Ecoboost
Now the 1.6t is down to 1.5t and their V8 is being replaced with 3.5/3.7 Ecoboost.
The new Mustang has a new 2.7l Ecoboost. They are looking at a 1.0t in the Focus and Fiesta.

Hyundai/Kia came out with a 2.0t around 2010 they only have V6 for their Luxury Genesis Brand.
GM has a 1.4t, 2.0t and a 3.6tt in the CTS Vsport.

Toyota and Honda are the late comers to this game.

Now let me add a little bit of politics to this whole trend.

A long time ago when American government was looking at their way of reducing their oil demand between Bush and Obama time, they talked with the manufacturers on smaller engines and how they are going to pass a new CAFE standard on cars which will require them to reduce their average MPG this means the average miles per gallon their model lines have.
If you sell a lot of trucks which have a high mpg you will have to add some V6 trims and make more I4s.

In the past the smallest American car might have a 2.0l engine so when compared to a 1.6-1.8l Corolla it is never a fair fight, but now the ground is more leveled.I was listening to an Accord commercial yesterday and the Accord was being compared to a Fusion(what a change in fortune).The Accord is still a better car, but the fact that the Fusion is a competition in 3 generation and Optima in 2 is a win for consumers .
When Nigerians see the new Camry and its technology they praise Toyota, but those things were available in the competition years ago.
When I bought my Ford Fusion 5 years ago it had bluetooth and Ford Sync standard which means I can call out a name in my phone book and the car will dial that person or read out text message to me or find the nearest restaurant, movies theater and give turn by turn direction to the place.It will run a diagnostic on it self and send me an email of the report.If I get in an accident the car will call emergency services with its location.

You need to know all that is available in the market for you to buy with your money, not just the noise of marketers.

The reason is reliability nothing else. If you think those extras like Bluetooth and on-star are deal breakers then "you wrong man, very wrong". People generally don't like their routine changed because of car repairs . Also the resale value of Toyotas are currently the highest in every class they have a car in.
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 29, 2014
icemann: Also the resale value of Toyotas are currently the highest in every class they have a car in.

That is true of North America and Canada. The reverse is the case in Europe and Australia.

4 Likes

Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by sultaan(m): 10:00pm On Sep 29, 2014
icemann:

The reason is reliability nothing else. If you think those extras like Bluetooth and on-star are deal breakers then "you wrong man, very wrong". People generally don't like their routine changed because of car repairs . Also the resale value of Toyotas are currently the highest in every class they have a car in.

You want to buy based on what they say its worth when you are getting rid of it what is it worth to you as a buyer now?
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by abatically(m): 10:19pm On Sep 29, 2014
sultaan: Really!

2003 Toyota Camry aka big for nothing sold in Asia and middle east have trims that come with bluetooth and navigation. It is in the USA that those features are trimmed and added to the lexus line. A 2002 Lexus es 300 which is just an upgraded big for nothing have trims with full package including Bluetooth and navigation. Moreover the reason Toyota sells so much is because of their good history of reliability. Consumer reports don't lie, so its not just a Nigerian thing.

1 Like

Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by icemann(m): 10:29pm On Sep 29, 2014
sultaan:

You want to buy based on what they say its worth when you are getting rid of it what is it worth to you as a buyer now?

The resale value is a [b] added reason [/b]to buy a toyota. Wouldn't you like minimal depreciation on any property you own?
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by icemann(m): 10:33pm On Sep 29, 2014
Siena:

That is true of North America and Canada. The reverse is the case in Europe and Australia.

Didn't know that about Europe. My Comments were based off sultans ref.about Toyotas In America.
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by sultaan(m): 10:50pm On Sep 29, 2014
icemann:

The resale value is a [b] added reason [/b]to buy a toyota. Wouldn't you like minimal depreciation on any property you own?

Depreciation based on what?

Mercedes and BMW suffer bigger depreciation but those who love them buy them for the love not worth after so many years.

Toyota has always been making small displacement engines they are being force to make aspirated engines now because it is they only way to raise the hp and mpg at the same time. Ford Mustang is a turbo I4 with over 300hp.

I don't know a lot of Toyotas in production with turbo right now their 2.4l is no match to a 2.0t engine so they need to adapt
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by Ikenna351(m): 6:32am On Sep 30, 2014
Peugeot ditched V6 engine long ago. The last V6 engine was in 607, sometime in 2009-2010.

Peugeot launched in late 2012, a 1.6 litre petrol turbo engine with 270 hp that average 44 mpg on high-speed. But only mated on 6-speed manual transmission for now, no auto transmission for the engine yet.

That's the engine and transmission I would want to let my hands on when its find it's way in Peugeot 508.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:53am On Sep 30, 2014
lomomike: while cutting costs on key components by up to 50 percent.

Hope this will not become a problem.
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by camaro(m): 7:18am On Sep 30, 2014
Have a look at the lexus nx 2003 and it's component. It's a 2.0 turbo. @sienna, you won't be a party to toy engines of 4cylinders.

Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by Nobody: 7:20am On Sep 30, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Hope this will not become a problem.

When Daimler Chrysler cut costs on key components, they ended up cutting corners this singular act had a ripple effect.

1. They lost their coveted crown as the world most over engineered marque,
2. They lost reliability ranking from 1st place and slipped to 9 position from the bottom of JD power customer's satisfaction,
3. Their cars became beehive of problem eg rust bucket problem, Engine problem in their V6's, electrical component issues, air suspension problem
4. They lost faithful committed customers and markets,
5. They lost huge profits
6. They had to spend more than expected in order to get back to where they are today.
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 30, 2014
camaro: Have a look at the lexus nx 2003 and it's component. It's a 2.0 turbo. @sienna, you won't be a party to toy engines of 4cylinders.

Nx 200t is a 2014 vehicle not 2003 as you've written.
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:18am On Sep 30, 2014
lomomike:

EhEn.... I have been scratching my head since.
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 30, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

EhEn.... I have been scratching my head since.

Oh sorry its a 2015 model vehicle.
Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by camaro(m): 11:19am On Sep 30, 2014
Typographical error I guess, I'm sorry

lomomike:

Re: Next-gen Toyota Camry Likely To Ditch V6 For Turbo Four by 9icetoo(m): 12:47pm On Sep 30, 2014
About time they did. Turbos have their issues. I remember very well how our American spec 505 turbo developed myriad of problems and had to be sold for scrap. Just got to know recently that the turbo was the problem. So many auto makers rush to be the firsts in innovations and end up suffering the teething problems associated with such innovations which affects their reliability. I hope that by cutting 50 percent of other component costs, toyota won't sacrifice their durability and dependability which has been their hallmark for years. Turbos are great no doubt but they will provide a whole new head ache for our mechanics and owners here when we finally start getting tokunbo of those cars down here.

(1) (Reply)

What Damages Your Tire / Toyota Avalon!!!! / Ford Automatic Transmission Fluid- ATF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.