Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine (5131 Views)

Mercedes Benz Cla Class Sports Coupé 220 CDI Turbo 2015 Model. / What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? / Sachi Motorsport - Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1,8 20V Turbo 5MT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine by emalekuo(m): 2:53pm On Nov 08, 2012
Please is the 2001 passat 1.8L turbo engine a bad choice to make. Am about getting this car and would love to know if its a dependable car and hope am not getting myself into trouble. I really need an advice on this.

Thanks
Re: I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 08, 2012
The B5.5 Volkswagen Passat 1,8T 20V turbo is great, but being turbocharged, I wouldn't recommend it for use in Nigeria. The lubricating system is extremely sensitive to oil grade. And mixing different oil grades. Oil pump failure due to sludge (oil diluted with coolant) is common, if the engine does not get up to operating temperature often (short trips).

Once a Nigerian mechanic gets his grubby paws on your thermostat, you might as well kiss it good-bye. If there was ever an engine that's intolerant to over-cooled oil, the 1,8T is it. Over here, they last long, because their owners treat them with respect, so do their mechanics. A lot of owners are also enthusiasts, and do most of their own wrenching too. They drive them hard, so the coolant and oil heat up pretty quickly, prolonging engine life considerably.

For Nigeria, I would recommend the Volkswagen Passat B5 / B5,5 with the following engines:

*1,6 I4 SOHC 8V (101 bhp).
*1,8 I4 DOHC 20V (125 bhp).
*2,0 I4 DOHC 20V (130 bhp).
Re: I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine by emalekuo(m): 4:55pm On Nov 08, 2012
Thanks for the advice. As long as u say the 1.8L 2001 is fine then I would go for it.
Re: I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine by dagreen14: 5:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
Hi Mr Siena, is VW Passat V6 2.8 Engine, good for nigeria?
Re: I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2012
dagreen14: Hi Mr Siena, is VW Passat V6 2.8 Engine, good for nigeria?

It's good, as long as it's not given to local "destroyers," who can reduce a good car to a pile of rubble in a very short time. I prefer a V6 to an I4 motor, smoother drive, more power, (193 bhp) longer service life. And it sounds better too!

It's more reliable than the 1,8T 20V.
Re: I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine by emalekuo(m): 11:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
Hello Mr Siena, are all the engines with the inscription 1.8T Turbo engines? And how do I know the 1.8 I4 engine cos am searching for one currently online?
Re: I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 09, 2012
emalekuo: Hello Mr Siena, are all the engines with the inscription 1.8T Turbo engines? And how do I know the 1.8 I4 engine cos am searching for one currently online?

Yes, the 1,8T inscription denotes turbo models.

On the boot, the 1.8T denotes turbo, 1.8 denotes non-turbo. But sometimes cars are mis-badged by their owners, or the boot could be a replacement, off another car. Just to be on the safe side, always look at the engine. The 1.8T inlet manifold has an oblong chamber, and short runners. The 1.8 has an inlet with very long, curved runners, and the chamber is very low down in the engine bay.

Audi A4 1.8 engine bay:

Audi A4 1.8T engine bay:

Re: I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine by dagreen14: 11:57am On Nov 09, 2012
thank you MR Siena,

This VW Passat V6 has a LPG system fitted, the engine light on the dash board stays on and the vehicle drives well, but i plan to take the LPG System out if i buy it, will this affect the engine in the long run because of the light on the dash board that stays on and its a light yellow colour?
Re: I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 09, 2012
dagreen14: thank you MR Siena,

This VW Passat V6 has a LPG system fitted, the engine light on the dash board stays on and the vehicle drives well, but i plan to take the LPG System out if i buy it, will this affect the engine in the long run because of the light on the dash board that stays on and its a light yellow colour?

As long as the LPG system removal is done by a tech who knows what he's doing, it shouldn't cause any issues. It's not just a case of yanking it out, the LPG system has it's own wiring harness, and programmable ECU, which is pretty much linked into the OEM VW Passat wiring, so tread carefully.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Car Picture Thread. Stock & Tuned Rides (Pictures Inside) / Where Can I Service My Hyundai Car In Ikeja? / Do You Know Ikobo CARS Kaduna Or A Scammer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.