Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Designing Websites With Joomla - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Designing Websites With Joomla (1217 Views)

Are You Good At Designing Websites? / Please Help, I Want To Build A Secondary School Website With Joomla / Abeg, Who Are These People Designing Websites For 4k? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Designing Websites With Joomla by pie1ect(m): 7:33pm On Nov 06, 2008
Hello everyone,

I started web designing with HTML like everyone else. However over the last 24 months I have switched to content management systems and Joomla has become my favourite, not just because it's open source but because of it's wide range of applications. Joomla is not simply a content management system, it is a framework on which one can develop any sort of website ranging from small personal home pages, powerful social networking websites to enterprise intranets.

I know there are a few Joomla enthusiasts and others who would like to know how to use Joomla to create powerful websites within hours.
I'm happy to provide tutorials and/or pointers via this forum, if needed.
Re: Designing Websites With Joomla by netm: 7:56am On Nov 07, 2008
We are waiting,
Re: Designing Websites With Joomla by pie1ect(m): 10:18am On Nov 07, 2008
Cool. I was waiting to see if anyone was interested in a tutorial before delving in.

Well, before I go on to the tutorials, a little background info. on Joomla!

First off - Joomla! is NOT a website. It is a content management system which anyone with average technical knowledge can use to create different types of websites ranging from personal/family homepages and blogs to large coporate portals. E.g The United Nations uses Joomla, MTV and numerous other smaller websites and Blogs.

Joomla is basically a framework and it's design makes it very easy to extend and integrate new features. Anyone can actually develop an application to work with Joomla and to give you an idea of what is possible with Joomla, you can take a look at the Joomla Extensions Directory. There's over 4000 extensions as at this morning.

Now, these extensions are categorised into three types:

==> Components - which basically provide an extension to the core functionality of Joomla! It allows you to add new functionality to the core system.

==> Modules - which allows you (the joomla! user) to lay out different functions on your 'website'. The frontpage of your joomla website is really a collection modules laid out on a template. Modules are placed in different positions on the page which are defined in your template code. For instance, there's a left position, right position and bottom position. You decide to place your "main menu" on the left position, a banner on the right, and your copyright note in the bottom position and there you are. You have just put together a "website" in a few minutes.  I'll revisit this topic again in the near future as we go along.

==> Plugins (formerly mambot) - allow you to extend existing functions in your Joomla! installation. It does not neccesarily add new functionality to Joomla! (unlike components) but it extends existing functionality.
This is something I have debated with some of my Joomla colleagues with nobody winning, I might add.

I'll stop here for now. I've got work to go to. But I'll continue later in the evening with installation and set up. It gets more interesting.

I forgot to add - Joomla is Free to use.
Have a blessed day, folks.
Re: Designing Websites With Joomla by Mustay(m): 12:34pm On Nov 07, 2008
Re: Designing Websites With Joomla by WebDesign3: 12:53pm On Nov 07, 2008
Good topic. I'll like to add that developing with joomla cms demands the basic knowledge of XHTML CSS XML and PHP. A little bit of design skill will also be a plus.
Re: Designing Websites With Joomla by Vilary: 1:12pm On Nov 07, 2008
Hey, that's very nice comments about Joomla. Ive been on the look for CMS, but the question is: is Joomla Free? Where can I get the full download because I've got a serious CMS Project on ground and you'll all like it.
Re: Designing Websites With Joomla by WebDesign3: 2:18pm On Nov 07, 2008
Joomla CMS is free. Download at joomla.org
To work smart, you will need a webserver installed in your PC.
Hmm, working smart demands MySql knowledge.
If you don't know your MySql, I'll advice you practice on your local PC and produce on your remote server.
Get a free webserver:
For windows XP, use WAMP http://www.wampserver.com/en/
For vista, use XAMP webserver. You can google that to get the website.

Thanks.
Re: Designing Websites With Joomla by pie1ect(m): 10:26am On Nov 08, 2008
So we move on. . .

@everyone
Thanks guys for your input.

First off, Joomla! comes with requirements - PHP, MySQL or MySqli, Apache.

All these can be downloaded for free as they are all open source. They can all be downloaded from their respective websites.

On most Linux/Unix releases, you don't need to install the Apache, PHP and MySql. However if you use windows, you need to dowload and install all three or at least two if you prefer to use IIS server. If you are not sure how to install and set up Apache to work with PHP and MySql, there are numerous resources online and I don't intend to rehash widely available content just for the fun of it. You may click here on the links below to get up to speed.

Installing Apache, PHP and MySql and Suse Linux
Installing Apache, PHP and MySql on Windows Vista
Installing Apache, PHP and MySql on Windows XP
OR
You could simply get XAMPP which includes everything you need to get you on your merry way in a few minutes (ignore the nerdy-looking girl on the page). There's also WAMP, which includes all three applications as well. My personal recommendation - Get XAMPP and save yourself the stress.
You could also get a ready-made Joomla installation, JSAS which is actually a stand-alone server. This only allows you one Joomla instance at a time.

Ok, so we got that sorted. Now we need to download Joomla! and install it.
Head over to Joomla.org and click on the black button which says "Download. . . the latest version". For the purpose of this tutorial, we will be working with Joomla 1.5.x with frequent references to Joomla 1.0.x as we progress. Both installations are stable as of today but 1.5.x is more responsive to the demands of Web 2.0 from my own personal experience.

Having downloaded your Joomla package, open up your favourite ZIP software or simply right-click on the file and un-zip to a folder of your choosing.

Next Post.
Re: Designing Websites With Joomla by pie1ect(m): 11:24am On Nov 08, 2008
So we got here without any major hang-ups - Great!

Now for the good stuff.

Your webserver should have a folder which holds your web pages e.g "htdocs" or any folder you've indicated for that purpose. We'll refer to this folder as your "webserver" from now on (unless otherwise specified)

Now make sure all the files and folders were properly un-zipped into your Joomla! folder.

Next - open up your web browser and type in the URL of your Joomla folder in your web broswer. That would be:
http://localhost/[joomla folder](redirects to this page).

Your Joomla page should look like this:

For this tutorial, we'll stick with English (United Kingdom). Feel free to select whatever language you are most comfortable with.

Click on Next and you are taken to the next screen:

This is your pre-installation check. You must make sure that all entries in the top half are green (YES). The entries in the econd half should ideally be green. If you have set-up your server correctly, all entries on the page should be gree. If they aren't, then you need to make the neccesary changes and make sure to restart your Apache Server for the changes to take effect.

If you are still with me, then I'll go on.

Click Next and we should see the License Screen. Not to worry about this. It simply says you can Use the Software. For our tutorial, please click NEXT.

Now we are on the database configuration page. This page is important. Here's where you set your database Name and access details.
For this tutorial, the configuration shown below should do.

Enter your own password. The one you set during configuration of your MySql database.

You still with me? Great stuff.

Click NEXT.
This is now your FTP configuration page. We are installing Joomla! on a local server, so this is not a critical configuration option at this time. If the need arises, we can make changes later from the Joomla admin panel.

Click Next.
Now your main configuration page.

This is where you set all your username, password, sitename and email.
It should be pointed out here that for safety reasons, make sure your username and password aren't the same. You don't want someone messing up all your work, if you can help it. Also the Site Name will appear at the very top of your screen, so select a descriptive name, say - Joomla Testing Server.

Having entered all the details requested, click on "Install Sample Data". This should give you a head-start with how content and other stuff are structured in Joomla!
Click NEXT.

Congratulations, you have just installed Joomla! successfully. Open up your Joomla! folder in your webserver and delete the installation folder as asked.

Now go back to your web browser and click on "Site" to see the result of your 5 minutes hardwork or click on "Admin" to get started right away.
Here's the Admin login panel

Enter your login details which you just saw in the last screen and here's your Admin interface

Slick, huh?
Wait till you start adding components and content and banning users.

We'll continue from here next time.
Have a great day.
Re: Designing Websites With Joomla by rockon(m): 12:29pm On Nov 08, 2008
nice read, thanks for sharing. i never use joomla for create a website. i used it for upgrade site. I do it.

thanks for the tips.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Constructive Criticism About My Site @ Www.freegist.com / Outsource Your Web Jobs At Affordable Price! / 10,000 Visitors To Your Site Weekly Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.