Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Nff Election: Who Does The Cap Fit? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nff Election: Who Does The Cap Fit? (607 Views)

Court Sacks Amaju Pinnick As NFF President / NFF Plans Special Ceremony For Vincent Enyeama’s 100th Cap / Who The Cap Fit!world Best Footballer And African Best Footballer & Other Matter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nff Election: Who Does The Cap Fit? by solbase10(m): 12:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
–Ogunjobi, Umeh, Amaju, Dikko, 3 others slug it out as NFF elction holds today in Warri

The elective congress of the Nigeria Football Federation will today in the oil city of Warri decide who among the seven eminent Nigeria football administrators replaces outgoing Alhaji Aminu Maigari as President of the NFF.

Love him or hate him, Maigari’s board has left a big shoe for whoever that will emerge as NFF president after today’s election.

With the AFCON title won 19 years after such feat was last achieved in Tunisia in 1994, the FIFA U-17 trophy won for the third time and Super Eagles second round appearance in the FIFA World Cup Round of 16 after the 1998 tournament, Maigari’s board really gave Nigerian football moments to savour as far results on the pitch are concerned.

Complete Sports here x-rays the candidates who want to succeed Maigari and brings out their credentials for Nigerians and indeed the delegates to chew on before casting their votes.

CHIEF TAIWO OGUNJOBI:
Ogunjobi is one of the top contenders for the NFF Presidency. Experience counts for him. He has at one time or the other worked with most of the delegates and belongs to the group of ‘FA chairmen’ himself being chairman of Osun FA. He knows the football terrain, has worked as NFF Secretary General, chaired the all powerful NFF Technical Committee and has not only played the game but also been an astute administrator having managed 3SC, Gabros International and Julius Berger FCs.

CHIEF MIKE UMEH:
Umeh has been around the corridors of football administration for long. He’s Anambra State FA chairman, a former Super Eagles Team Manager and first vice president of the NFF in the outgoing board led by Aminu Maigari. Though he later fell out with Maigari, but there are talks both of them have reconcilled. If the reconcilliation is true, then that means he could spring a surprise.

SHEHU DIKKO: Shehu Dikko is the vice chairman of the League Management Company, LMC. He’s seen as the annointed son of Maigari. This could swing the pendulum of victory in his favour as he is alleged to be enjoying the support of Alhaji Aminu Maigari and the LMC.

AMAJU PINNICK:
Pinnick may not be a popular candidate among the delegates but if there is anything like home advantage in the present circumstance, then he could ride on that factor to glory. This could be the reason some of the contestants earlier kicked against Warri being chosen as venue for the election.

AMANZE UCHEGBULEM:
The chairman of Imo FA is one man with the acumen and dexterity of chief Taiwo Ogunjobi. He has experience on his side, was a former first vice president of NFF during Sanni Lulu Abdullahi’s regime. He knows how to get through his delegates members having known the terrain well. This gives him a chance especially if he pulls his plugs well.

DOMINIC MTEM IORFA:
Iorfa is an a former Nigeria international, having played for the Super Eagles. He also had a smooth run in European football with spells at Queens Park Rangers, England Royal Antwerp of Belgium, Galatasaray of Turkey among other clubs. Back at home, Iorfa served as vice chairman of the NFF Technical Committee under Ogunjobi during Sani Lulu’s regime. Since 2003, Iorfa has been chairman of Lobi Stars fc, a glo Premier League side. Presently, he is the vice chairman/Technical Director of the club. He has made it clear he can coach Super Eagles or any other national team even as NFF president if the situation demands.

ABBA YOLA:
Yola was a former staff of the National Sports Commission, NSC. He later headed the board of Kano Pillars FC which was dissolved earlier in the year. As NFF presidential aspirant, Yola may have obstacles from Dikko and Iorfa.

WHAT THEY SAID

The Nigeria football Presidential debate gave the aspirants an opportunity to share their plans with the delegates who will vote for the next president of the NFF.Complete Sports brings quotes from what the aspirants said at the debate…

CHIEF TAIWO OGUNJOBI:
“It is the responsibility of coaches to pick the right players for the youth teams.Then it is for the NFF to prepare the
team. Coaches must be sincere.As regards sponsorship,If we have a solid national team, companies will be interested in supporting us.Main reason for the constant crisis in our football is that we are not honest with ourselves”.

CHIEF MIKE UMEH:
“I have been Anambra FA chairman for 16 years. Team Manager for Super Eagles. I eat and sleep football. I am the architect of this elections. Otherwise it would have been an unopposed election. I am proud to be associated with that.Never mind the rascality that characterised the last days of the board, Maigari remains an achiever. I will perform wonders.I am a successful business man. Sometimes I loan the FA money. I am not going there to look for government money.There are many areas I know we didn’t perform well. Those are the areas I will work on”.

AMAJU PINNICK:
“What Nigeria football needs is proper marketing and sound administration. Since 1999, I have raised over 1 billion naira in sponsorship for Delta FA. Last FA have achieved a lot. It is not luck. We must build on that”.

AMANZE UCHEGBULEM:
“I have the experience after working under various NFF administrations. Statutes must be obeyed so as to avoid crisis. We must also show accountability.Statutes provide automatically for development of football. No need to stress it”.

DOMINIC MTEM IORFA:
“As an ex-international I can change the tide. I am a pure football person, not a businessman or marketer.
(if voted into power) I will show you the difference between a real footballer and someone who wants to come and take our jobs”.

ABBA YOLA:
“I will strive to ensure peace in Nigerian football. Nigeria football needs a new beginning. Everybody must be brought on board to involve all the stakeholders.We know our problems. I cannot say it all. I will look for solutions. Nigerian football cannot do without government”.

Source: http://completesportsnigeria.com/nff-election-cap-fits/

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan, Pele To Be Special Guests At Akwa Ibom Stadium Inauguration / City Ready For Man U. / 2015 Nations Cup: CAF Insists Tournament Will Be Not Be Postponed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.