Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know (23320 Views)

Should A Baby Sleep Under A Ceiling Fan And On Cold Floor Ties? / 5 Myths About Sex You Should Stop Believing / 15 Questions Every Parent Should Ask When The Kids Get Home From School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 01, 2014
Its so good to have a guy make this thread. I like it

I wanna know more about babies
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Ilovenigeria(f): 6:58am On Oct 01, 2014
francleanflexy: this thread is very informative esp the number 1 cause i have seen a lot of women who put the babies to sleep by their side or by the stomach
It depends on the baby. My nephew can only sleep lying on his stomach, If not he will never sleep. I think putting baby to sleep by their side is better. you just need to wedge them with pillow in other not to fall.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by chronique(m): 7:01am On Oct 01, 2014
Can't wait for the day I'd get to hold my son/daughter in my arms... Useful topic though.

1 Like

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by timilehing(m): 7:24am On Oct 01, 2014
Different conclusion from different researcher.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by mileskiyo(m): 7:24am On Oct 01, 2014
Another myth - Pulling a thread from ur baby's comforter and placing it around d anterior fontanelle will stop hiccuping... grin grin grin
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 01, 2014
Best sleeping position for my kids,on their tummy.Only God dey protect our African kids o.

1 Like

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Silensa(m): 7:37am On Oct 01, 2014
but since i no get pikin nko??

all these things that we term as myth was what our parent used on us and it worked perfectly for them, now with the advent of our new gods, we tend to throw away the practices that was used on us just because they said so. smh
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by MOORCHMOORE(m): 7:41am On Oct 01, 2014
The reason why your baby need to sleep on their tummy is that it makes them not to snore when they are older.... My observation
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by segcymoor(m): 7:45am On Oct 01, 2014
Thanks for the information
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by miqos02(m): 8:07am On Oct 01, 2014
i disagree, my 22 month old baby has been sleeping lying on her tummy and sometimes with her side since her birthday
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 01, 2014
Quite educative
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by promisingstar(f): 10:16am On Oct 01, 2014
Tanks OP...so informative
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by purpple: 10:24am On Oct 01, 2014
;DG
shorexng: The only reason I've been awake all night now is because two wonderful kids here have refused to go to bed. Never let your kids sleep for too long during the day. You may just pay for it at night
:hehehehe( cry
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by prettiest1(f): 11:02am On Oct 01, 2014
Samiceman: Thanks for sharing op...unfortunately, am not yet a parent, so I shall comment when I become one
Oga, what are you waiting for? You should be FATHER ABRAHAM by now.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Samiceman: 12:14pm On Oct 01, 2014
prettiest1: Oga, what are you waiting for? You should be FATHER ABRAHAM by now.
yeah, I should...but still haven't found Sarah. Maybe u could help me with Hagar though

1 Like

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by prettiest1(f): 12:17pm On Oct 01, 2014
Samiceman: yeah, I should...but still haven't found Sarah. Maybe u could help me with Hagar though
Ok. No problem.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by soulglo: 4:25pm On Oct 01, 2014
akinladejo:

You are very correct! Expirence has shown that babies get easily choked up when sleeping with back, the best way is side and dat is just d truth. Theory is really diff from reality.

And when he rolls over on his tummy from a side position, will you be there to turn him back to this side position? Newborns do not have strong necks. If for any reason their face turns into the mattress theres a very high chance that it will not end well.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 01, 2014
" Baby sleeps when they are ready ke?.......U wan tell ham to a working mother?....My mother will agure your points ..op!...The woman created a sleeping schedule for us since she popped us out of her womb, and we all got used to it.....She's also given other working moms the same advice, and have gotten good surprising reviews, over the years.
Not laying baby on her tummy?...Really?....That might be for the white folks, but not for us.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by simplyOJ(m): 10:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
mileskiyo: Another myth - Pulling a thread from ur baby's comforter and placing it around d anterior fontanelle will stop hiccuping... grin grin grin
Hey! You just strucked a cord there. I experienced these with so many mothers, i also ended up applying it on my daughter whenever she experience hiccup, and surprisinly it seems to work most of the time, or probably because I believe in it..
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by simplyOJ(m): 10:43pm On Oct 01, 2014
glitest: " Baby sleeps when they are ready ke?.......U wan tell ham to a working mother?....My mother will agure your points ..op!...The woman created a sleeping schedule for us since she popped us out of her womb, and we all got used to it.....She's also given other working moms the same advice, and have gotten good surprising reviews, over the years.
Not laying baby on her tummy?...Really?....That might be for the white folks, but not for us.
Applying the sleeping schedule could be very difficult to enforce especially within baby's first month. New Born tends to sleep more during the day and when mummy and daddy are hoping to catch sleep at night, baby keeps them awake
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 01, 2014
simplyOJ:
Applying the sleeping schedule could be very difficult to enforce especially within baby's first month. New Born tends to sleep more during the day and when mummy and daddy are hoping to catch sleep at night, baby keeps them awake
Well; such never worked for my mom.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by raphy(m): 11:53pm On Oct 01, 2014
so na now all of una de,know .me i nefa marry but i know how to take good care of babies when they r crying i know hw to make them .sleep am just gifted i know i will be a great ,dad when am married
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by simplyOJ(m): 10:05am On Oct 02, 2014
raphy: so na now all of una de,know .me i nefa marry but i know how to take good care of babies when they r crying i know hw to make them .sleep am just gifted i know i will be a great ,dad when am married
Your children & wife are indeed lucky then.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by simplyOJ(m): 10:07am On Oct 02, 2014
glitest:
Well; such never worked for my mom.
How does your mum do that? We all would like to learn.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by raphy(m): 11:20am On Oct 02, 2014
yes indeed they r lucky and God is busy preparing d woman that i will marry
simplyOJ:
Your children & wife are indeed lucky then.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by blank(f): 11:52am On Oct 02, 2014
soulglo:

And when he rolls over on his tummy from a side position, will you be there to turn him back to this side position? Newborns do not have strong necks. If for any reason their face turns into the mattress theres a very high chance that it will not end well.

Ergo, rolled up cloth placed at the back of the baby to stop the baby from rolling.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by blank(f): 11:56am On Oct 02, 2014
rezzy: Mothers have been lying their babies on their stomach to sleep, i haven't heard of any sudden death

I know of one. It was so painful. The baby was 5 days old and they had just returned from the hospital. She put the baby to sleep on her tummy and then when she returned 30mins later to check on the baby, the child was face down and unresponsive. They rushed her to the hospital while performing CPR. Sadly, she was on a ventilator for 2 days but didn't make it. This happened in Ibadan, in my uncle's church of which i happened to be a member at that time.

I cannot ever forget that experience.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 02, 2014
simplyOJ:
How does your mum do that? We all would like to learn.
Sit tight!...Let me go get her; BrB.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by simplyOJ(m): 1:20pm On Oct 02, 2014
blank:

I know of one. It was so painful. The baby was 5 days old and they had just returned from the hospital. She put the baby to sleep on her tummy and then when she returned 30mins later to check on the baby, the child was face down and unresponsive. They rushed her to the hospital while performing CPR. Sadly, she was on a ventilator for 2 days but didn't make it. This happened in Ibadan, in my uncle's church of which i happened to be a member at that time.

Ah! How sad. Can't even imagine the grief of the parents of the child.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by simplyOJ(m): 1:23pm On Oct 02, 2014
glitest:
Sit tight!...Let me go get her; BrB.
Ok o! Well sitted with pen and paper to take note.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by rezzy: 1:30pm On Oct 02, 2014
blank:

thanks for letting me know. i wont try that when my baby arrives.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Couple Welcome 1st Baby After 22yrs Of Marriage(pics) / This Guy Is Searching For A Companion For His Widowed Mother / How To Know If Your Mother Is A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.