Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Microsoft Skips Windows 9, Jumps Straight To Windows 10 (pix) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft Skips Windows 9, Jumps Straight To Windows 10 (pix) (1095 Views)

WINDOWS 8 SUCCESSOR: Windows 10 Unveiled Instead Of Windows 9. / Windows 9 Is Coming. This Is What It Looks Like / Windows 9 Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Skips Windows 9, Jumps Straight To Windows 10 (pix) by Nsonaso(m): 7:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
[b]
It appears Microsoft is so proud of the work it's done on the new Windows, that it's willing to give it a bigger name "Windows 10", something that will reflect the new beginning of sorts. Of course, all the meaningful leaks we've seen about Windows 9 thus far remain valid, including the metrofied Start Menu and a refocus on the desktop environment.

"Windows 10 will deliver the right experience on the right device at the right time," said Microsoft's Terry Myerson. "Windows 10 will run on the broadest types of devices ever." You can expect a unique user interface depending on what you're running Windows on; images shown at the event line up with leaks that have surfaced in recent weeks. It's basically a combination of Windows 7 and 8 that borrows design elements from each of Microsoft's two most recent operating systems.

The new Windows 10 start menu.

The "Metro" start screen and Microsoft's traditional Start Menu have been combined; no longer is the screen one huge grid of tiles for desktop users. "The tiles and icons that are shown are a blend of classic apps and new universal apps," Belfiore said. But Live Tiles are still here and can be resized to a user's preference. More than anything else, Microsoft is working to make everything feel way more cohesive. "In Windows 8 when users launched a modern app, it sort of had a different environment," Belfiore said. "We don't want that duality. We want users on PCs with mice and keyboards to have their familiar UI."

There's a new universal search in the start menu that pulls in results from the web, and Microsoft is also talking up its "task view," which helps users master Windows' multitasking features. It looks fairly similar to Expose in OS X and allows users to set up different desktops for work, home, and other usage scenarios, switching apps between them at will. Up to four apps can now be snapped on screen, which also should ramp up Windows 10's multitasking power. Microsoft outright admitted this isn't entirely an earth-shattering addition. But it is intended to speed up your productivity across the entire operating system. "It illustrates for Windows we have to address a breadth of users," Belfiore said, moving on to show a big improvement to the command prompt: it now supports paste.

Windows 10's Task View.

But Microsoft isn't abandoning touch input. Belfiore said the Charms bar from Windows 8 has been carried over to Windows 10 with improvements of its own. "We want to support those Windows 8 users who have touch machines and getting a lot of benefit out of them." For convertible devices like the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, Microsoft is adding a new Continuum mode that aims to make the frequent switch between tablet mode and laptop mode more seamless. "What you get is a device that operates with the simplicity of a tablet, but morphs itself back to the familiar PC experience," said Belfiore.

Microsoft will launch a Windows 10 "Insider Program" beginning tomorrow, which will eventually afford its most enthusiastic users a chance to try out the new OS before the general public. Windows 10 will launch to consumers everywhere in late 2015.

source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6868695/microsoft-windows-10-announced-official
http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/30/microsoft-announces-windows-10/
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-jumps-to-windows-10/
[/b]

Re: Microsoft Skips Windows 9, Jumps Straight To Windows 10 (pix) by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 30, 2014
I feel this OS. will màke brain... I hope they make it printer anð application sofþware friendly unlike windows 8
Re: Microsoft Skips Windows 9, Jumps Straight To Windows 10 (pix) by DonaldGenes(m): 8:29pm On Sep 30, 2014
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

binary jokes aside, 10 is actually binary for two as you may have already guessed. Who knows, maybe MSFT is hinting towards a major overhaul?
I am excited and so likewise the Tech Market...
Also on a technical note, there is no livestream of the event, I’ve confirmed with the company. This is irksome, but here we are. It’s annoying when Apple does it, and it’s annoying Microsoft does. So, I’ll be on the ground, looking forward as fast as I can
Re: Microsoft Skips Windows 9, Jumps Straight To Windows 10 (pix) by Buchukwu: 10:58pm On Sep 30, 2014
Windows Xp all the way!
Re: Microsoft Skips Windows 9, Jumps Straight To Windows 10 (pix) by 30secs(m): 11:18pm On Sep 30, 2014
Hmmm

(1) (Reply)

HP Core I5 / Uk Used Sony Vaio Core I3 With Keyboard Light / Hp Compaq Nx7400 For Just 17k(pics) Sold!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.