Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,022 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) (1414 Views)

Download The Final Release Of The Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Core Here / See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade / Microsoft Windows Vista Launched (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Nsonaso(m): 10:32pm On Sep 30, 2014
Out of the literal blue, Microsoft announced the next version of Windows. It's Windows 10. That's right, MS just went ahead and skipped a number. While the reasons are a numeric mystery of their own, Windows 10 looks like good news at the moment! It's one operating system. One platform. One interface. One app store. For all personal computing and communications devices imaginable - from the tiniest wearables to the bulkiest of computers.

So, what's up with Windows? In short, lots is up. Here are some of the upcoming innovations in brief, fresh off the Microsoft tribune!

[size=14pt]The Start Menu returns with a vengeance[/size]

Ever dreamed for a Start button on your smartphone? You will finally be able to have one! But more importantly, PC users will be getting it and rejoicing as Microsoft finally solved the UI duality that plagued Windows 8. The new old Start menu is a hybrid of Windows 7's Aero layout and Windows 8's Live tiles. This time around, you are getting the best of both, and with resizable tiles and customizations making the cut, the "Metro" experience will be, at the very worst, palatable. You get a "Me" tile, universal search (web & file system), pinning apps as tiles, and a no-frills option to turn off your device.

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Nsonaso(m): 10:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
[size=14pt]Touch-based apps and "universal" apps will run on desktop[/size]

Windows 8 apps made for touch control will be working in a regular keyboard + mouse environment, entirely in the desktop. These are called "Universal apps", and they are available next to "classic" apps reminiscent of Windows 7. Below is a touch-based app running in the desktop environment.. While we're yet to see how this will pan out in real life, the mere notion of not switching between Metro view and the Windows desktop brings comfort to our hearts.

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Nsonaso(m): 10:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
[size=14pt]Improved multi-tasking[/size]

There's a new Task View that shows even bigger snapshots of the apps you currently have running, along with the new "virtual desktops" shown on the bottom. Task View, which is available by swiping from the left, or clicking a taskbar button, lets you switch between multiple desktops and apps alike. You will also find a Snap Assist feature that lets you snap together apps running in separate desktops. That, and Ctrl + V pasting in the Command Prompt are the subtlest, but no less important improvements in Windows 10 by far. Oh, and the Charms bar has been made larger, and with easier to touch buttons.

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by bullyman36(m): 10:41pm On Sep 30, 2014
Looks good to me cheesy
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Nsonaso(m): 10:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
[size=14pt]Snap-snap snapping![/size]

Microsoft showed how Windows 10 users will be ale to snap together at least four running apps, gluing them together in a view that will look spectacular on a large monitor. It should look great on a Surface tab as well, so don't fret over Microsoft being too PC-centric this time.

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Nsonaso(m): 10:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
[size=14pt]Device adaptability[/size]

A new feature named Continuum lets Windows 10 automatically adapt itself to whatever device you happen to be using it in a given moment. Say you're running Windows 10 on a tablet with a paired keyboard. You are in desktop mode. When you remove the keyboard, you will get asked if you want to switch to Tablet mode. If you do, the app you're currently using will automatically expand itself to a full-screen view and the interface will switch to touch-centric tiles. But how will Windows 10 look on the smartphone? It is said that it will look just like the reworked touch-based UI in Windows 10. So Windows Phone users won't suddenly find themselves in murky desktop waters!

[size=14pt]One for all, all for one[/size]

Just in case it isn't clear - with Windows 10, Microsoft wants to deliver one application platform, one app store, one way to search, buy, and update apps across all your devices. It's a comprehensive platform built with Satya Nadella's "cloud-first" mantra in mind. To call this an ambitious undertaking would be an understatement - bringing a seamless, unified experience across a wide range of devices portable and static - but Microsoft has almost infinite resources to throw at it, and make it happen!

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Nsonaso(m): 10:54pm On Sep 30, 2014
[size=14pt]Price and release date[/size]

A Windows 10 Technical Preview version will be released for desktop and laptop computers tomorrow. The final version of Windows 10 will ship sometime after the Microsoft Build conference in the middle of 2015. This year's Build conference was held between April 2-4. As for the price, you know as much as we do! MS only mentioned they would like to give Windows 7 users an incentive to upgrade, which could be loosely interpreted as "free" or "reasonably priced" in the context of pricing.

source:http://www.phonearena.com/news/Windows-10-brings-improved-desktop-experience-better-multi-tasking-and-other-good-stuff_id61226
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Buchukwu: 10:57pm On Sep 30, 2014
Windows Xp all the way!
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Nsonaso(m): 7:57am On Oct 01, 2014
bullyman36: Looks good to me cheesy
Me too bro.... And I really love it as they get rid of that metro UI
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Bawss1(m): 4:43pm On Oct 01, 2014
Buchukwu: Windows Xp all the way!

grin

You should have even said Windows 95 or Windows 3.1 sef cheesy

If some of the guys here have their way, we would all be using DOS since it has remained practically unchanged since 1986, I bet they would love its stability. grin grin grin
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Bawss1(m): 4:46pm On Oct 01, 2014
Nsonaso:
Me too bro.... And I really love it as they get rid of that metro UI

Metro has been vastly modified not gotten rid of. Reread the article again.
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Nsonaso(m): 6:53pm On Oct 01, 2014
Bawss1:

It's not mentioned there but I know you can turn it off and on
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Nobody: 5:37am On Oct 02, 2014
Bawss1:

You can stop boosting win 8 now. cheesy

The version numbering, and the focus on desktop users refutes all the win8 is OK you've been pushing from your touchscreen.

Win 10 looks like a winner.

Good they've baked virtual desktops and app windowing. Let them shoot out the betas
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 New & Improved Features (pix) by Bawss1(m): 8:40am On Oct 02, 2014
oyb:

You can stop boosting win 8 now. cheesy

The version numbering, and the focus on desktop users refutes all the win8 is OK you've been pushing from your touchscreen.

Win 10 looks like a winner.

Good they've baked virtual desktops and app windowing. Let them shoot out the betas

I could understand the aversion people had for Win 8, it did somethings in novel ways and had an obvious learning curve but with 8.1 things became way familiar yet the Internet and its herd community kept calling for Microsoft's head without giving 8.1 a shot.

So far it looks like Win 10 still incorporates things like the charms bar, metro and live tiles - things many guys were crying about albeit heavily modified. These things have come to stay whether we like them or not. I'm all for a Windows that functions in a touch based world yet still retains desktop capabilities. That has been the philosophy since when win 8 appeared and they are sticking with that. Hopefully Win 10 will be all 8 set out to be.

I think if you sign up for their insider program you can start trying out Win 10.
The rest of the anti Win 8 team can push for a regression back to XP since they don't want to try out new things. grin

(1) (Reply)

What Is GEM Frame? / I Need 15k Urgent Laptop For A Project / Hp Compaq Cq60 For Sale In Surulere Lagos 39k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.