Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,534 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:57 AM

Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners (1015 Views)

I Need This Bluetooth Obdii Scanner / Interpretation Of Obdii Scan Results And Related Issues / More Facts About Obdii Scanning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by cocoduck: 6:06am On Oct 01, 2014
I need information on buying OBDII scanners, I have scoured the internet and I am a bit confused, I saw on amazon, Chinese knock offs and professional ones and going through the reviews people said the Chinese knock offs works as good as the 'professional' ones because they work with torque pro,
what should I do? and please which one supports all the protocols and what is ELM whatever whatever?
Please reply quickly.
Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 01, 2014
cocoduck: I need information on buying OBDII scanners, I have scoured the internet and I am a bit confused, I saw on amazon, Chinese knock offs and professional ones and going through the reviews people said the Chinese knock offs works as good as the 'professional' ones because they work with torque pro,
what should I do? and please which one supports all the protocols and what is ELM whatever whatever?
Please reply quickly.

From your post all I see is ignorance and looking down on a product hence the "ELM whatever whatever", you're not really ready to know or buy OBD ii scanner yet.
Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by cocoduck: 9:58am On Oct 01, 2014
lomomike:

From your post all I see is ignorance and looking down on a product hence the "ELM whatever whatever", you're not really ready to know or buy OBD ii scanner yet.
you don't have a
to equally display your own ignorance. when somebody is asking a question, it means the person does not know and wants to know about the thing in question. so if you are not here to answer the questions then please please don't have even click on the thread. and please fvck off

2 Likes

Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 01, 2014
cocoduck:
you don't have a
to equally display your own ignorance. when somebody is asking a question, it means the person does not know and wants to know about the thing in question. so if you are not here to answer the questions then please please don't have even click on the thread. and please fvck off

Your being ignorant is one disease, but you're being rude shows how immature you are and how firmly rooted you are in your ignorance which have eaten deep into you .

Lastly, don't ever use that silly word I bolded when quoting me ever.
Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:30am On Oct 01, 2014
cocoduck: I need information on buying OBDII scanners, I have scoured the internet and I am a bit confused, I saw on amazon, Chinese knock offs and professional ones and going through the reviews people said the Chinese knock offs works as good as the 'professional' ones because they work with torque pro,
Please reply quickly.

go for the one you want to use for the intended purpose eg you just want a code

or the one that does other test eg ABS, Airbag, live monitoring etc
Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 01, 2014
An OBD2 scanner is just a tool, like a hammer. They all work and you just need to find the ones that will fit well with you intended purpose.

I sell, grudgingly, a mini ELM327 Bluetooth scanner that is adequate for quick checks of codes. It requires a smartphone, most specifically an Android smartphone for it to work. I just think it adds an additional layer of complexity to a potentially already tense process.

The one I have researched, recommend and also sell is the MS509. In my opinion it is the bare minimum for a hobbyist because it is stand alone, does all the required code scans and resets and offer live readings. It is also good for an auto shop because it is mobile, doesn't require a smartphone and can do the basic checks and live readings. None of these will do higher level readings on ABS, airbag and other systems like that.

Regarding Chinese copies. What the Chinese does and does very well is reverse engineering and 3rd party licensing of products form patent holders. Chinese products are not all bad though it requires you to know what to look for to get a good products sometimes. Admittedly I many choose not to buy a heart pacemaker Chinese clone but I see nothing wrong with buying a made in China product that has been truly vetted.

Like I usually tell people, it's a good time in history to be a technology hobbyist as we have mind bending choices.

Good luck on your decisions.

PS: For an auto mechanic you should probably get on mechanic forums and find out what your colleagues in the business are using. You are going to need at least one advanced scanner ($2k and above) to service airbags, abs and such but you still need a small handheld scanner like the MS509 for quick checks.
Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by cocoduck: 1:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
CityNG: An OBD2 scanner is just a tool, like a hammer. They all work and you just need to find the ones that will fit well with you intended purpose.

I sell, grudgingly, a mini ELM327 Bluetooth scanner that is adequate for quick checks of codes. It requires a smartphone, most specifically an Android smartphone for it to work. I just think it adds an additional layer of complexity to a potentially already tense process.

The one I have researched, recommend and also sell is the MS509. In my opinion it is the bare minimum for a hobbyist because it is stand alone, does all the required code scans and resets and offer live readings. It is also good for an auto shop because it is mobile, doesn't require a smartphone and can do the basic checks and live readings. None of these will do higher level readings on ABS, airbag and other systems like that.

Regarding Chinese copies. What the Chinese does and does very well is reverse engineering and 3rd party licensing of products form patent holders. Chinese products are not all bad though it requires you to know what to look for to get a good products sometimes. Admittedly I many choose not to buy a heart pacemaker Chinese clone but I see nothing wrong with buying a made in China product that has been truly vetted.

Like I usually tell people, it's a good time in history to be a technology hobbyist as we have mind bending choices.

PS: For an auto mechanic you should probably get on mechanic forums and find out what your colleagues in the business are using. You are going to need at least one advanced scanner ($2k and above) to service airbags, abs and such but you still need a small handheld scanner like the MS509 for quick checks.
thanks

1 Like

Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by nurey(m): 5:50pm On Oct 01, 2014
CityNG: An OBD2 scanner is just a tool, like a hammer. They all work and you just need to find the ones that will fit well with you intended purpose.

CityNG how much is that scanner going for and I reside in Lagos and Abeokuta

1 Like

Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 01, 2014
nurey:

CityNG how much is that scanner going for and I reside in Lagos and Abeokuta

I'll contact you via PM so that my responses are not perceived as a sales post by our handler, His Imperial Majesty LomoMike.

PS: I emailed your Yahoo account.
Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
CityNG:

I'll contact you via PM so that my responses are not perceived as a sales post by our handler, His Imperial Majesty LomoMike.

You try. But why you dey include me in most post you post? You wan adopt my moniker, feel free to do so.
Just to let you know, I'm not an imperialist, I don't support imperialism and I'm not a fan of such movement.

Finally, pls stop beaming my image in a bad light (sic).
Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 01, 2014
lomomike:

You try. But why you dey include me in most post you post? You wan adopt my moniker, feel free to do so.
Just to let you know, I'm not an imperialist, I don't support imperialism and I'm not a fan of such movement.

Finally, pls stop beaming my image in a bad light (sic).

You've got it all wrong, please stop flattering yourself grin

With great authority comes responsibility so perhaps you should separate your personal account from your moderator account.
Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
CityNG:

You've got it all wrong, please stop flattering yourself grin

With great authority comes responsibility so perhaps you should separate your personal account from your moderator account.

That's been the account I've been using since I registered in 2010
Re: Please Wise Guys I Need Info On OBDII Scanners by nurey(m): 8:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
CityNG:

I have received it. Will contact you when I am ready sir

(1) (Reply)

Driving Sucks!!..am Nt Sure I'll Ever Learn It / In Need Of A Professional Auto Painter In Kaduna/abuja / L Need A Good Mechanic For My Nissan Altima 2008 2.5s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.