Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? (17031 Views)

Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo / The Origin Of Pidgin English And Its Widespread Popularity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by newguy1(m): 6:41am On Oct 02, 2014
I think i can say it a reflex action when inpressed by someone orsomething.moreover i think na from monkey, dem too like to dey clapcheesy
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by dytbabe: 6:43am On Oct 02, 2014
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 6:51am On Oct 02, 2014
Let me clap first then i will make my input later
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nwachiizu(m): 7:01am On Oct 02, 2014
ChinenyeN: There doesn't seem to be an established scholarly reason as to the whys and hows of clapping's widespread nature. It seems that virtually all cultures in the world understand the messages conveyed by clapping, and 'til today scholars do not have an academic explanation as to why. What we are sure of though is that the act is ancient. If we had to speculate, I'd say we look at babies. Babies who have yet to learn and understand the culture they are born in have the remarkable capacity to clap instinctually. Babies know how to clap for joy and excitement and in some cases even assent. My speculation would be that it is that instinctual behavior of clapping that developed in ancient times into applause. The instinctual nature of it among humans can then account for its widespread nature.

Rubbish

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 02, 2014
Psalm 47:1, Clap your hands O ye people sing unto God with the voice of triumph.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by macjireh: 7:13am On Oct 02, 2014
iwonbaoko: It seems that clapping is common to virtually every culture.Why is this so and what is the origin?

ORIGIN- Psalms 47:1 O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by temmywayne005(m): 7:17am On Oct 02, 2014
ummm......monkeys? undecided
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Kunlexic(m): 7:21am On Oct 02, 2014
zleemshaddy: Wait
Wettin ifa say
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by timilehing(m): 7:49am On Oct 02, 2014
Wherever it is originated from, it has come to stay
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by kinnex(m): 8:19am On Oct 02, 2014
Think y'all need to watch this..

The real reason why we clap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD037VSAG2I
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Heamah: 9:44am On Oct 02, 2014
macjireh:

ORIGIN- Psalms 47:1 O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

Meaning people have not been clapping before this was said SMH
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by macjireh: 10:50am On Oct 02, 2014
Heamah:

Meaning people have not been clapping before this was said SMH

I only gave a reference, bring out any other earlier one if u can find any, till den dats d origin!
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by alexis007(m): 11:27am On Oct 02, 2014
ChinenyeN: If that's the term you want to use, then sure. I wouldn't use that term though.
'instinctive' is a better word...if you ask me

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by alexis007(m): 11:35am On Oct 02, 2014
AdeniyiA:
The ONLY ten 'stringed' instrument are the palms cool
are you a religion-maniac abi na fanatic?.....i guess you are one of those whose source of historical facts is the Bible alone....no blasphemy intended anyway.....[eyes him seriously and then looks away to face more important contributors]
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by daveP(m): 11:39am On Oct 02, 2014
(enters thread, jots a thing or two, looks around and exits)
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 02, 2014
Hishuula: lets ask cele people... they get diploma 4 clapping,even some of them don't need nails in scratching recharge card once the swipe it with their hands e don clean
Lol.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 02, 2014
MzMariah: Lol.
that dude kill me with laugh finish.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 02, 2014
2sExy1: that dude kill me with laugh finish.
Me too. grin
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 02, 2014
Its a lie,babies dnt clap,they have to see someone exhibit it before they could do it.
iwonbaoko:

In other words clapping is a primitive behaviour?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 02, 2014
henryobinna: you too dey lie eeeh.... aarh!
no mind am, im turn our hands to string instrument
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 02, 2014
AdeniyiA:
The ONLY ten 'stringed' instrument are the palms cool
shey ur hand don turn string instrument ba?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Ericardo7(m): 4:42pm On Oct 02, 2014
The custom of applauding may be as old
and as widespread as humanity, and the
variety of its forms is limited only by the
capacity for devising means of making a
noise (e.g., stomping of feet or rapping of
fists or hands on a table). Within each
culture, however, it is usually subject to
conventions.
The ancient Romans had a set ritual of
applause for public performances, expressing
degrees of approval: snapping the finger
and thumb, clapping with the flat or hollow
palm, waving the flap of the toga, for which
the emperor Aurelian substituted
handkerchiefs (orarium ) that he had
distributed to the Roman people. [1] In
Roman theatre, at the close of the play, the
chief actor called out "Valete et plaudite!",
and the audience, guided by an unofficial
choregus , chanted their applause
antiphonally. This was often organized and
paid for. [2]
Similarly, a claque (French for "clapping"wink
was an organized body of professional
applauders in French theatres and opera
houses who were paid by the performer(s) to
create the illusion of an increased level of
approval by the audience.
In Christianity , customs of the theatre
were adopted by the churches. Eusebius [3]
says that Paul of Samosata encouraged the
congregation to applaud his preaching by
waving linen cloths (οθοναις), and in the
4th and 5th centuries applause of the
rhetoric of popular preachers had become an
established custom. Applause in church
eventually fell out of fashion, however, and
partly by the influence of the quasi-
religious atmosphere of the performances of
Richard Wagner's operas at the Bayreuth
Festspielhaus , the reverential spirit that
inspired this soon extended back to the
theatre and the concert hall.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by henryobinna(m): 5:18pm On Oct 02, 2014
lexiconkabir: no mind am, im turn our hands to string instrument
abi oh..
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Networkingprof: 5:24pm On Oct 02, 2014
Clapping was invented by Clapperton, Am I right?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by willorie(f): 5:59pm On Oct 02, 2014
iwonbaoko:

In other words clapping is a primitive behaviour?

Gbam!
De guy don yarn am finish
abi u get ur own speculation?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 02, 2014
Nigeria

Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 02, 2014
Nigeria

Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 02, 2014
Nigeria

Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 03, 2014
Kunlexic:
Wettin ifa say
e tawq say make i ask sango
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Kunlexic(m): 3:42pm On Oct 03, 2014
zleemshaddy: e tawq say make i ask sango
they steal ur tin nii
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by nwaobitex: 7:15pm On Oct 03, 2014
aka
Re: What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 03, 2014
alexis007: 'instinctive' is a better word...if you ask me
What do you mean by better? On what grounds?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Keagborekuzi I, The Youngest Crowned King In The World / Learning Isoko Language / Some Interesting Facts The Itsekiri People of Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.