Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,041 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

The Insect That Like Having Sex - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Insect That Like Having Sex (942 Views)

S-C-A-N-D-A-L: Former VP Namadi Sambo Caught Having Sex With Wife's Brother. / Finally Exposed How To Check Those That Like Ur Post On NL / Which Insect Or Animal Will You Want To Cease To Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Insect That Like Having Sex by Zenoniseay: 8:26pm On Oct 02, 2014
When it comes to sex, we tend to see the male of the species as the most promiscuous.
Yet, as the story of the record-breaking honeybee shows us, females can be just as likely to play the sex game.
We know that male animals seek to mate with multiple females to increase their chances of reproductive success. And we think that females are naturally pickier because they invest more energy in producing offspring and do not increase their chances of reproducing by having more than one partner. These are among the most deeply entrenched concepts of evolutionary biology. They’re also way off the mark.
The myth of the ardent, promiscuous male and the coy, choosy female is based on what some have called the Darwin- Bateman paradigm. InThe Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex, Charles Darwin, one of the founding fathers of the theory of evolution, described how males had “strong passions” and “eagerly pursue” females. “The female, on the other hand, with the rarest exceptions,” he wrote, “is coy, and may often be seen endeavouring… to escape the male”.
In 1948 English geneticist Angus John Bateman published a now famous experiment in which equal numbers of male and female fruit flies were placed in bottles. He chose flies with mutations such as curly wings, small eyes and thick bristles, to give him a way to determine the parentage of the resulting offspring. Bateman concluded there was greater variability in both reproductive and mating success among males than females, and that while mating with multiple partners increased the chances of a male passing on his genes, this was not the case for females.
These ideas have strongly influenced evolutionary biologists for decades. Of course some pointed to examples of species in which observations showed the Darwin-Bateman sex roles were reversed, but perhaps surprisingly it was not until two papers published in 2007and 2012 that researchers showed Bateman’s conclusions were based on flawed experimenta l and statistical methods.
Patricia Adair Gowaty, of the University of California, Los Angeles, repeated his original experiment. She pointed out his methods could only identify parentage if offspring had the mutations of both its father and mother, and his data would only be accurate if such offspring were just as viable as those with one or no mutations – which they weren’t. All of which meant Bateman’s results and the conclusions based on them were wrong.
Which brings us neatly to honey bees. Early in life queens make mating flights during which they mate with multiple drones that die once they have deposited their sperm. They store and use the sperm throughout her life. Worker bees in the hives of queens that have had more partners have been shown to produce more honey comb. This promiscuity is believed to help improve resistance to disease by boosting genetic diversity.
So it is unsurprising that when Hector Cabrera-Mireles, then at the University of Florida, reviewed previous studies to identify the most polyandrous insect - the species in which the female copulates with the most males - he focused on honey bees.
The European honey bee was found to mate up to 20 times and the Asiatic honey bee up to 30 times. However Cabrera-Mireles determined that theApis dorsata, the giant honey bee of South and Southeast Asia, was the most polyandrous of all, with one DNA fingerprintin g studying determining that females had up to 53 mates.
The female cobalt milkweed beetlehas been recorded mating up to 60 times, but was disqualified by Cabrera-Mireles because this figure included multiple matings with the same male.
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 02, 2014
Fly sex? Really? Sometimes I believe these people are really perverted. Who decides to study how many times a fly has sex?

Good to know insects have hoes & freaks too. Next time a guy gets too judgmental, I'll just tell him he should be thankful he's not dating a bee.

1 Like

Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Idrismusty97(m): 9:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
gywjjhkkkkkfffxgyhdechjygvggds blahblahblah just tell us the name of the insect not story story. Not everybody like reading long biology crap!
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA: Fly sex? Really? Sometimes I believe these people are really perverted. Who decides to study how many times a fly has sex?

Good to know insects have hoes & freaks too. Next time a guy gets too judgmental, I'll just tell him he should be thankful he's not dating a bee.
grin
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 03, 2014
Vessi:
grin

Hey you smiley See how you guys have it better? Male bees be depressed because their females are too sl^tty. Aren't you glad grin ?
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

Hey you smiley See how you guys have it better? Male bees be depressed because their females are too sl^tty. Aren't you glad grin ?
Hahahaha. Nature has cheated the female bees by making their males more reserved and the females more pervertedgrin
Sounds good to me, if only nature can bring it to humanity/human beings. grin
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 03, 2014
Vessi:
Hahahaha. Nature has cheated the female bees by making their males more reserved and the females more pervertedgrin
Sounds good to me, if only nature can bring it to humanity/human beings. grin

No, nature should have made human females more like black widow spiders. They s*x the males up then eat them grin How do you like that?
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 03, 2014
Insects are having it hard yo. It's either sl*ts or psycho killers who nom-nom their mates.
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

No, nature should have made human females more like black widow spiders. They s*x the males up then eat them grin How do you like that?
I'd rather be born a beegrin
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA: Insects are having it hard yo. It's either sl*ts or psycho killers who nom-nom their mates.
And also if you're an insect, life is tough cause birds can never eat enough grin
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 03, 2014
Vessi:
I'd rather be born a beegrin

LMAO!!! You freak tongue
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 03, 2014
Vessi:
And also if you're an insect, life is tough cause birds can never eat enough grin

Ja neh. Life is hard God's smaller creatures. I own 2 birds, a male & female zebra finch. When the female is pissed, she plucks him bald & there's nothing he can do about it.

#WHIPPED grin
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

LMAO!!! You freak tongue
freak ke? It's about enjoying to full potential, all there is in life.
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 03, 2014
Vessi:
freak ke? It's about enjoying to full potential, all there is in life.

grin

*slowly nods*
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

Ja neh. Life is hard God's smaller creatures. I own 2 birds, a male & female zebra finch. When the female is pissed, she plucks him bald & there's nothing he can do about it.

#WHIPPED grin
LMAO. So birds behave as gentlemen too? But in this case, gentlebirdgrin grin
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 03, 2014
Vessi:
LMAO. So birds behave as gentlemen too? But in this case, gentlebirdgrin grin

Of course! lol @ gentlebird.

But some men are like that too. I remember one girl I knew in my hometown. She started dating this dude but didnt know that he had a psycho baby mama. So one night the baby mama walked in on them while they were still in bed, carrying a stick to bleksem them both. My friend said the guy started hiding behind her, crying, pleading & saying "Baby, please dont hit me". He was genuinely afraid of his baby mama because she often kicked his lame @ss, yet he loved women.

P*ssified men. Yuck.
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

Of course! lol @ gentlebird.

But some men are like that too. I remember one girl I knew in my hometown. She started dating this dude but didnt know that he had a psycho baby mama. So one night the baby mama walked in on them while they were still in bed, carrying a stick to bleksem them both. My friend said the guy started hiding behind her, crying, pleading & saying "Baby, please dont hit me". He was genuinely afraid of his baby mama because she often kicked his lame @ss, yet he loved women.

P*ssified men. Yuck.
gringringringringringringringringringringringringringringrin what a comic relief. Such a scene would be epic, wish I were theregringringringrin these guys scared of their baby mama/wife/gf and cry to them crack my ribs. FVckgrin

He's just as your male zebra finch.
Maybe I'd start calling such men LaBella's male zebra finchgrin
SMH at men behaving as animals.
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 03, 2014
Vessi:
gringringringringringringringringringringringringringringrin what a comic relief. Such a scene would be epic, wish I were theregringringringrin these guys scared of their baby mama/wife/gf and cry to them crack my ribs. FVckgrin

He's just as your male zebra finch.
Maybe I'd start calling such men LaBella's male zebra finchgrin

LMAO! Truly bytchmade. Wack.

But sometimes I suspect that they've been bewitched. Love potions & whatnot. How can a man be such a weak sauce? Damn. So unattractive.
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

LMAO! Truly bytchmade. Wack.

But sometimes I suspect that they've been bewitched. Love potions & whatnot. How can a man be such a weak sauce? Damn. So unattractive.
LOL you believe in magic? LOL at weak sauce, me thinks it boils down to the man's level of self-esteem, how he was raised, personality, childhood environment. Or maybe he justs believes crying, rolling on the floor, swearing and begging his baby mama would save him from his her wrath.
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 03, 2014
Vessi:
LOL you believe in magic? LOL at weak sauce, me thinks it boils down to the man's level of self-esteem, how he was raised, personality, childhood environment. Or maybe he justs believes crying, rolling on the floor, swearing and begging his baby mama would save him from his her wrath.

Man, I dont know if I believe in magic or not, but I have witnessed some really odd behaviours. One of them was through my male cousin. He fell for this fugly old woman & my aunt was enraged. She pleaded with him to stop seeing her because it was embarrassing. But he claimed to be in love so my aunt kicked him out of the house. He went to live with her. Became this domesticated little weasel that catered to her every whim. But the "relationship" ended eventually & to this day, he still doesnt know why he fought everyone to be with some old hag.

It was world war 3 in that house because of that woman. The boy was smitten & hypotized by thunder thighs. SMH
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

Man, I dont know if I believe in magic or not, but I have witnessed some really odd behaviours. One of them was through my male cousin. He fell for this fugly old woman & my aunt was enraged. She pleaded with him to stop seeing her because it was embarrassing. But he claimed to be in love so my aunt kicked him out of the house. He went to live with her. Became this domesticated little weasel that catered to her every whim. But the "relationship" ended eventually & to this day, he still doesnt know why he fought everyone to be with some old hag.

It was world war 3 in that house because of that woman. The boy was smitten & hypotized by thunder thighs. SMH
The power of sweet pvssy can't be over-emphasized grin
Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 03, 2014
Vessi:
The power of sweet pvssy can't be over-emphasized grin

At least you know the enemy

Re: The Insect That Like Having Sex by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 03, 2014
LaBellaMafiaZA:

At least you know the enemy
Pray tell me.

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Front Page On Niaraland / Pics: Nigerian Female Football Stars Step Out In Lovely White Dresses / My Ordeal In Kidnappers Den

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.