Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,243 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview (1241 Views)

Full And Unbiased Hands-on Review Of Innjoo Fire / Which Lumia Phones Are And Available For Windows 10 Technical Preview / How To Download And Install Windows 10 Technical Preview For Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by coolakins(m): 7:29am On Oct 03, 2014
It is in the public awareness already that the Windows 10 has finally restored the conventional and unique Windows Menu for easy access and more user friendliness. In the process to finalise the build of the Windows 10, Microsoft recently released (today) a technical preview of the operating system for Computer Enthusiasts to experience and make useful contributions towards it complete development and final launch.
I personally downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview via the Windows Insider Program. Here is my take on the features and usability. The downloadable ISO image file is about 3.81GB (available in English, English – United Kingdom, Chinese etc.) and its installation straight forward, can be installed as an upgrade (maintaining personal settings and data) or clean installation (deleting previous files). The total installation duration took about 2:30hrs, subjective though, depending on the capacity of the host PC.
One of the most prominent features of the Windows 10 is return of the START MENU and this time it’s more improved and re-sizable with Vertical, Horizontal Orientations achieved with a drag of the mouse at the edge of the menu pane to the desire orientation (quite flexible and interesting). The Start Menu also features, a list of recently opened apps (with more sub-menu of files previously worked on). Above that, is a list of Documents, Pictures, PC Settings and File Explorer folders for quicker and more convenient access. Towards the bottom is a link to all applications installed on the PC.
Applications on the Start Menu can be dragged and dropped on the ‘tile’ side of the menu or right-clicked to PIN TO START MENU which can also be re-sized. Other shortcut menu options include - PIN TO TASK BAR, REMOVE FROM THE LIST etc.)
Another unique feature of the Windows 10 is the TASK VIEW button and MULTIPLE DESKTOP SUPPORT. The Task View button enables user to call up apps or tasks currently open and allows you switch in-between tasks or better still ADD NEW DESKTOP (a new desktop environment sporting a line marker differentiating apps/tasks opened in a different desktop area).
Improved App window with the TITLE BAR feature, RE-SIZING BUTTONS) and the new APP COMMANDS (“ellipses” menu) expanded to
further increase exploration using the – SEARCH, SHARE (Facebook, Twitter, Mail, One Note etc.), PLAY, PRINT, PROJECT (projection display modes), SETTINGS (app settings, permission and security) and FULL SCREEN options.
The Windows 8 Start Menu (Start Screen) is interestingly still being maintained but hidden at first, allowing you to boot straight to your desktop area. I personally love the display of the Windows 8 Start Menu delighted is still maintained.
The menu can be prompted to display from the TASK BAR’s properties (a click on the Start Menu tab and un-check the “Use the start menu instead of start screen”) and you are required to sign out and in again to have it active.
Slight change of appearance of a few icons as well could not go unnoticed i.e. 'This Computer', 'Network' etc.
Other observations - No more horizontal task view of running tasks peeked when point to the top left corner. No more Charms.
No change for now on the WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, Explorer etc. I believe a few changes and tweaks will be made on other areas necessary in the final release. Overall, it’s a pleasant and very convenient to use but of course, it’s a little heavier (compared to 8.1) could come with a bit of lag.

Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by Collinz2(m): 7:30am On Oct 03, 2014
By 2day i will install the one am downloading and let me test the ui.
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by Mention(m): 8:00am On Oct 03, 2014
Too long.. Lemme comment first
*Modified*
Having read it.. The only thing I can say is wow... This windows 10 is gonna be awesome
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by reaky(m): 8:38am On Oct 03, 2014
Collinz2: By 2day i will install the one am downloading and let me test the ui.
What's the size of the one your downloading
And which site you got it from?
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by Collinz2(m): 9:05am On Oct 03, 2014
reaky:
visit getintopc.com u will see it on the homepage, click it and go to the next page and click on 32bit download or 64bit download depend on ur pc type and stay on the new tab it will open for the download to pop up. And it 3.818gb almost 4gig. Get ur etisalat payg play, ur idm and start downloading it now, when microsoft launch it fully, u will update urs.
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by Collinz2(m): 9:08am On Oct 03, 2014
reaky:
and u will burn it to dvd or usb drive b4 u install and check abt the serial key.
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by dasdexter(m): 9:37am On Oct 03, 2014
can u install it as a dual boot btw win8, i don't intend to upgrade from win8, i want a clean install, while still keeping my win8 ?
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by texazzpete(m): 10:34am On Oct 03, 2014
Nice write up, but there's some misleading info in the OP.

No indication that this version of Windows is 'heavier' than Windows 8.1. This is purely the OP's opinion.

It is also an extremely early look at Windows 10. Numerous tech blogs have been told by Microsoft that this first look only contains about 10% of the new consumer facing features planned for W10. Stuff like Cortana are not in this release.

There will be loads of UI changes in the months to come. MS says there's still a lot to be done concerning the UI, icons, fonts etc.

The OP should be giving an 'impression' and not a 'Review' at this early stage.
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by reaky(m): 12:31pm On Oct 03, 2014
Collinz2 post=/post/26825249:
visit getintopc.com u will see it on the homepage, click it and go to the next page and click on 32bit download or 64bit download depend on ur pc type and stay on the new tab it will open for the download to pop up. And it 3.818gb almost 4gig. Get ur etisalat payg play, ur idm and start downloading it now, when microsoft launch it fully, u will update urs.
Ok bro
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by coolakins(m): 2:28pm On Oct 03, 2014
dasdexter: can u install it as a dual boot btw win8, i don't intend to upgrade from win8, i want a clean install, while still keeping my win8 ?
To be honest, am not sure. I didn't try that but I heard complain that it couldn't be installed as Dual boot, it gave errors....
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by coolakins(m): 2:33pm On Oct 03, 2014
texazzpete: Nice write up, but there's some misleading info in the OP.

No indication that this version of Windows is 'heavier' than Windows 8.1. This is purely the OP's opinion.

It is also an extremely early look at Windows 10. Numerous tech blogs have been told by Microsoft that this first look only contains about 10% of the new consumer facing features planned for W10. Stuff like Cortana are not in this release.

There will be loads of UI changes in the months to come. MS says there's still a lot to be done concerning the UI, icons, fonts etc.

The OP should be giving an 'impression' and not a 'Review' at this early stage.
From first hand user experience, yes I can tell its heavier & also from the download size. Windows 8.1 is 3.62GB compared to test version of Windows 10 @ 3.81GB (this is not unusual if we all desire the 'change', its okay).
I like your contribution. Thank you!
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by dasdexter(m): 3:18pm On Oct 03, 2014
coolakins:
To be honest, am not sure. I didn't try that but I heard complain that it couldn't be installed as Dual boot, it gave errors....
ooooh, i have to find anoda rig to test it,tanx
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by Collinz2(m): 6:21pm On Oct 03, 2014
I jst install windows 10. Rubbish, the only thing abt windows 7 in it is the start menu the rest are windows 8 and i hate windows 8. I regret downloading it.
Re: Review Of Windows 10 Technical Preview by texazzpete(m): 10:44am On Oct 08, 2014
coolakins:

From first hand user experience, yes I can tell its heavier & also from the download size. Windows 8.1 is 3.62GB compared to test version of Windows 10 @ 3.81GB (this is not unusual if we all desire the 'change', its okay).
I like your contribution. Thank you!

That means absolutely nothing. You cannot use file size to determine strain on system resources.

Collinz2:
I jst install windows 10. Rubbish, the only thing abt windows 7 in it is the start menu the rest are windows 8 and i hate windows 8. I regret downloading it.

Windows 8 is an improvement over WIndows 7, but with an UI that many find confusing. This takes the Windows 8 core and brings back most of the UI from Windows 7 with a sprinkling of the Windows 8 Metro tiles.
Blame nobody else for your folly. It's a technical preview for people to install, evaluate, provide feedback and find bugs. It isn't the finished version and should not be taken as such.
If you're so determined to remain in the past, stay there. This is the future.

(1) (Reply)

NEW. Nexus 6 Made By Motorola and Nexus 9 made by HTC / How To Get 10gig On Mtn Network Tested And Working Perfect / Konga.com Is Now Offering Shoppers Free Delivery On Orders For The Infinix Hot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.