Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Common Etiquettes You Should Know - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Etiquettes You Should Know (2907 Views)

7 Things You Should Know About NOUN- National Open University Of Nigeria. / 10 Creepy Things You Should Know About Your Body......hehehe / Fact You Should Know About English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Paulfish: 2:39pm On Oct 03, 2014
Etiquette is a formal rule of correct or polite behaviour in society or particular profession. It is a conduct or procedure required by good breeding or prescribed by authority to be observed in social or official life. Etiquette is a proper behaviour in a variety of setting ¯we have Party etiquette¸ dancing etiquette¸ speech etiquette etc.
Some Organizations conduct interviews in hotels - the applicants are booked into a hotel and they are assessed on how they behave at table and around the hotel and among their peers.
I will focus on general social Etiquette as well as table manners. When you are invited for Dinner` be it Business or Social dinner, what are the things you should look out for

YOUR MODE OF DRESS_ Business Lunch/Dinner
• You should wear a corporate suit. It could be either black, dark blue or grey.
• Good long sleeve shirt.
• Good covered shoes.
• По sandals or slippers please.
• you should wear a clean shave. моst co-orporate organizations do not expect you to щear long ьeards.
• your tie and belt should be in the correct position. No colour riot.

FOR LADIES
• please ensure tнat you are smartly dressed in corporate suit or dress or skirt and blouse.
• лo tight fitting dresses or short dresses pleаse.
• your hair should be neatly made -иo long weave oг too ыg hair wig.
• no colour riot «— restrict yourself to a Maximum of three colours.
• your shoes covered; no slipper.

TIME
be at the occasion at least 30 minutes before time. It is a sign of irresponsibiliy to appear late at social or official functions

INTRODUCTION
what do you do when you are being introduced?
• you lººk straight into the person's eye
• then smile whether you like it or not and then stretch out your hand for a handshake. It should start and stop crisply with not more than 2 ○r 3 pumps and say How do you do or i'm very glad to meet you¯the handshake should be firm but painless.
• do not rush introductions. It must be done in terms of seniority - if it is in a social setting » in official setting you introduce by rank. The introduction should include useful information on the person being introduced.
E.g Pharm. Sylvester Oloche, Dean, Faculty of Pharmacy, he is a great lover of Arsenal Football club.
How do dou introduce yourself in public?
Use your first name and last name e.g Paul Onjewu.

SPEECH ETIQUETTE
- Speak with a smile rather than a frown
- do not monopolize conversations
- do not get too close when you speak
- do not speak with your hands in your pocket
- always speak the truth
- do not exaggerate
- be interested in what others have to say
- be attentive and a good listener

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Paulfish: 2:42pm On Oct 03, 2014
TABLE MANNERS
Now i will talk on table manners.
Please note that what 'm going to say is not limited to how you behave when invited for social or business Dinner. It will be useful if we do the same in our homes so that once outside, it now comes on naturally.
FOR A FORMAL DINNER
Never do anything until the host does it first. This include sitting, put your Napkin on laps, eating, putting your Napkin on the table and leave.
• tidy your hair, adjust your dressing
• put off your phone or put it on silent vibration
• greet everyone before sitting down
• smile whether you like it or not
• enter your chair from the left
• gentlemen should rise to meet new comers. Ladies please remain seated
now the meal is set what do you do?
THE CUTLERY
* Knives and spoon are on the right
* Fork on the left
* Hold all Cutleries with your fingers not your fist
what do you do with the Napkin on your Table?
• always place the Napkin on your lap when you sit down
• do not rub your face with it
• if you have to leave your seat during meal place the Napkin on your chair
OTHER TIPS
• please do not overload your plate
• do not dunk your food. By this i mean do not dip your bread in tea or soup
• never blow on liquid or food to cool it
• if you belch, cover your mouth with Napkin and say "excuse me" to no one in particular
• wait until you have swallowed the food in your mouth before taking a sip of your drink
• phones must be put off or silence
• do not touch your head or smack your lips at table
• do not chew with your mouth open
• if you need something on the table ask the person next to you to get it
• please do not rinse or gaggle your mouth at table
TALKING AT TABLE
• avoid talking with mouth full of food
• if someone leaves the table please do not ask where to¿
• please do not announce your visit to the toilet
THE DESERT
This could be mainly fruit salad, pie or custard or cake or ice cream. Use only fork to take the pie and cake.
For ice cream and pudding use only spoon. Leave other utensil on the table.
IT IS MY HOPE THAT YOU HAVE LEARNT ONE ASPECT OF SOCIAL SPEECH ETIQUETTE AND CORRECT TABLE MANNERS FOR HOME AND SOCIAL OR OFFICIAL SETTING.
Thank you for reading and i hope you'll put all you have learnt today to practice.

25 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by agitator: 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2014
Ok Following wink wink wink
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by tosyne2much(m): 10:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
Nice one OP
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Nastydroid(m): 3:13am On Oct 08, 2014
Nice tips
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Donfamous(m): 6:03am On Oct 08, 2014
Nice tips, will read later
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by TinyPrincess(f): 7:06am On Oct 08, 2014
Thanks op....great tips u gat there
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Justeenaleo(f): 7:06am On Oct 08, 2014
Nice smiley
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 08, 2014
SMILE ALWAYS U NEVER KNOW HOW POWERFUL SMILE IS
OP has saved me the cost of typing.......wanted to do a write up un sumtin like dis

1 Like

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Nobody: 8:20am On Oct 08, 2014
Thanks op smiley
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Haywhymido(m): 8:55am On Oct 08, 2014
Thanks
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by mysticgal(f): 8:58am On Oct 08, 2014
This makes sense than the "types of"threads going round.

2 Likes

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Walexz02(m): 10:10am On Oct 08, 2014
Well done op.
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Paulfish: 10:18am On Oct 08, 2014
Khaynet:
SMILE ALWAYS U NEVER KNOW HOW POWERFUL SMILE IS
OP has saved me the cost of typing.......wanted to do a write up un sumtin like dis
yea
Чou know iт can be somewhat embarrassing when you fumble on simple тhings you never tooк note оf or tнings you thought you кnеw
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 08, 2014
Paulfish:
yea
Чou know iт can be somewhat embarrassing when you fumble on simple тhings you never tooк note оf or tнings you thought you кnеw
Yeah..............and when u later discover u like WTF
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by pememraldy(m): 10:27am On Oct 08, 2014
nice...learnt som'n new:entryn d sit 4rm d lft.
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 08, 2014
i learnt smfin today, FP pls
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by mumumugu(m): 10:50am On Oct 08, 2014
Good
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 08, 2014
Nice one op smiley
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Ruq: 11:10am On Oct 08, 2014
Well fcck etiquettes.

1 Like

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by leshluap(m): 11:16am On Oct 08, 2014
O boy that TABLE MANNERS get as e b Ooº°˚ ˚°ºo,,, na person wey hunger neva hold dey remember those "rules n regulations"... Imagine me n my GF go dinner, she stand up wan go out, u say mak I no ask her where she dey go......... I hear u..

2 Likes

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by bolaji73(m): 11:16am On Oct 08, 2014
Nice thread op, more of this should be on front page rather than the one way traffic of number+type of this.

1 Like

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by mspee(f): 11:36am On Oct 08, 2014
Nice one wink
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by DaBozz(m): 11:43am On Oct 08, 2014
Nice post and thanks for sharing.
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Herrmes: 11:58am On Oct 08, 2014
Cool
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Pvictor10(m): 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2014
Also, unbotton your suit or coat before you sit.

2 Likes

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Emessy(m): 12:22pm On Oct 08, 2014
Always eat at home before going to a formal dinner, BE WARNED -Do Not Go Hungry!

2 Likes

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Valfrankie(m): 12:29pm On Oct 08, 2014
More!!! sadsadsad

While clutching your cutlery with your fingers and trying to cut a tough piece of meat with that blunt thing, what happens when you mistakenly drop them on the floor, sending your meat flying, while splashing your food and upturning your drink on your host n others in the process, maybe because you no sabi use the thing, but jux wan form so you would belong n look posh? If such a thing should ever happen to you, don't worry, some days are like that.

What to do!!! cheesycheesycheesy
Politely n simply rise from your table with a smile, face your host and ask "WHERE CAN THIS OP GO AND DIE?" angryangryangry

Last bullet!!!embarassedembarassedembarassed
Save yourself the stress, represent our ancestors at dinner! Use your fingers or siddon for houz!!! gringringrin

8 Likes

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 08, 2014
Nice one op
Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Pvictor10(m): 12:45pm On Oct 08, 2014
Valfrankie:
More!!! sadsadsad

While clutching your cutlery with your fingers and trying to cut a tough piece of meat with that blunt thing, what happens when you mistakenly drop them on the floor, sending your meat flying, while splashing your food and upturning your drink on your host n others in the process, maybe because you no sabi use the thing, but jux wan form so you would belong n look posh? If such a thing should ever happen to you, don't worry, some days are like that.

Politely n simply rise from your table with a smile, face your host and ask "WHERE CAN THIS OP GO AND DIE?" angryangryangry

Save yourself the stress, represent our ancestors at dinner! Use your fingers or siddon for houz!!! gringringrin

i can't stop laughing here. It's actually crazy. Na so i dey stare at a giant meat at a dinner. I dey form; only ate some, as far the knife can help. My friend use him hand o. Bad guy!

1 Like

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by TVTKOKO(m): 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2014
Valfrankie:
More!!! sadsadsad

seconded!!! Haba see wahala o

1 Like

Re: Common Etiquettes You Should Know by Valfrankie(m): 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2014
Pvictor10:

i can't stop laughing here. It's actually crazy. Na so i dey stare at a giant meat at a dinner. I dey form; only ate some, as far the knife can help. My friend use him hand o. Bad guy!
I wonder o. And to make matters worse, that knife is so annoyingly blunt n the meat unusually tough. Africa man go dey form vegetarian bone better meat dey pick on vegetables and fruits make he no go fall his ancestors hand! I tireangryangryangry

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Accredited Private Universities In Nigeria With Their School Fees / Information Technology Or Computer Science Which Is Better / Ati Annang Foundation (AAF) 2018 Scholarship Notice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.