Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,054 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings (1061 Views)

Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? / Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 09, 2008
I know some families are still insistent on this 'culture' - some igbo families are still particular about it, and i've a yoruba friend who's close to 40 but insists his almost-50yrs old brother must marry before he does (sounds like a line meant for the thread 'excuses men give not to marry you').

So let's say you're a girl and you've got 7 sisters older than you  cheesy cheesy, but you're the first with a guy who's ready for marriage. your parents agree that they like him, but want you both to wait for all of your elder sisters to get married before you do, because they think it's bad luck for the others (according to tradition). would you wait? if you were the guy, would you agree?

P.S. to all amebos, thread destroyers and gbegboruns on NL, no be me o  tongue tongue tongue! i just want your opinion on the issue  cool cool cool
Re: Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings by DisGuy: 1:38pm On Nov 09, 2008
iceblue:

I know some families are still insistent on this 'culture' - some igbo families are still particular about it, and i've a Yoruba friend who's close to 40 but insists his almost-50yrs old brother must marry before he does (sounds like a line meant for the thread 'excuses men give not to marry you').

So let's say you're a girl and you've got 7 sisters older than you  cheesy cheesy, but you're the first with a guy who's ready for marriage. your parents agree that they like him, but [i]want you both to [/i]wait for all of your elder sisters to get married before you do, because they think it's bad luck for the others (according to tradition). would you wait? if you were the guy, would you agree?

P.S. to all amebos, thread destroyers and gbegboruns on NL, no be me o  tongue tongue tongue! i just want your opinion on the issue  cool cool cool

you don't have to exaggerate before making your point!!! shocked

they want you to both wait? Wait ko wait ni,
are they the ones marrying for me of something
Some families should be made to realise they have no say over other adults
so if they like the guy/girl they cant tell him to wait
what if the girl is already pregnant, will they tell her to hold the baby inside grin

I have no older/younger bro/sis. So what I want goes cool
Re: Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings by horlan: 1:45pm On Nov 09, 2008
why u no wait for dy 2break on u. u re a smart guy.
cheers,
Re: Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 09, 2008
funny enuf the story abt the almost-40 yr old is true. it came up when i asked for my IV to his wedding, cos i know he's old  cheesy cheesy cheesy he's just a friend. i no fit marry am sef.

the only exaggeration is 7 sisters. the rest is true. some families claim tradition as the reason, but it does happen. as i stated earlier, IT ISN'T ABOUT ME. i'm just asking what people would do if they found themselves walking down that road.

some parents don't want to know how old you are. they'll tell u that u don't respect them if you dishonor their wishes and age-long tradition  cheesy you know parents are very good at emotional blackmail  grin grin
Re: Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings by Gamine(f): 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2008
This makes no sense at all.

My younger sister is more prepared to get married than i am.

Big deal, as long as it isnt what i want and she wants to do it, why the headache.

I dont know any family that practices this, its so absurd
Re: Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings by DisGuy: 2:15pm On Nov 09, 2008
iceblue:

funny enough the story about the almost-40 yr old is true. it came up when i asked for my IV to his wedding, because i know he's old  cheesy cheesy cheesy he's just a friend. i no fit marry am sef.

the only exaggeration is 7 sisters. the rest is true. some families claim tradition as the reason, but it does happen. as i stated earlier, IT ISN'T ABOUT ME. i'm just asking what people would do if they found themselves walking down that road.

some parents don't want to know how old you are. they'll tell u that u don't respect them if you dishonor their wishes and age-long tradition  cheesy you know parents are very good at emotional blackmail  grin grin

No! Mba i still don't believe you have a 40yo friend who is waiting for his 50yo brother to get married before he does!!!

It's not dishonour, you already introduce the guy/girl to them so you are following tradition
And liking him/her means they are cool with it- that's their blessing
Now as adults you can zoom off for your wedding, if they like they can come if not they'll miss
the grooving , Jollof rice, the party dress<---- naaaah that's too much for them to resist trust me

I think its the kids (Adults) allowing thing like these to happen and that's mainly because they still depend on mummy and daddy for many things
Re: Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 09, 2008
@ Dis Guy
if not to say na offence for xtians to swear, i fit swear say the bobo never marry cheesy cheesy cheesy. i've also met the elder brother. they're both bachelors. sad but true. i suspect tho that they might have a kid or two stashed away somewhere for them not to be bothered tongue tongue tongue

abt dependence on parents, maybe. who knows? undecided undecided but this friend's parents are both gone.
Re: Marriage Hierarchy Among Siblings by iice(f): 2:51pm On Nov 09, 2008
Fortunately no one in my family entertains such ideas
We go just ignore am sef grin

(1) (Reply)

Beheading People For Money Making Rituals. / Bronu People / Please See This Video-the Worst Past Of Ajegunle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.