Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:21 PM

Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years (3237 Views)

DonJazzy Stylishly Mocked Linda Ikeji For Being Single(pic) / HIV+ Kehinde Bademosi Is Gay, Was Married For 6 Years / This Woman, Marries Herself And Kisses A Mirror (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by StevinMorgan(m): 10:02am On Oct 06, 2014
Grace Gelder was so fed up with the dating scene and single life that she decided to become the first person in Britain to marry HERSELF.

Grace decided to commit to the most important person in her life, ‘proposed’ to herself last November on a park bench and staged a full wedding ceremony with 50 guests. According to her, after being single for six years she had built up a brilliant relationship with herself and creating that bond with someone else seemed like too much hard work.

Inspired by the Björk song Isobel, which includes the line, ‘My name’s Isobel, married to myself’, the Londoner said the lyric struck a chord with her and it was then she decided to walk solo down the aisle.

Grace bought a dress, a ring, rehearsed vows and eventually wed in a farmhouse in rural Devon watched by her sister and friends -sealing the deal by planting a kiss on a mirror. Speaking to the Guardian, she said:

“A few did comment, in a light-hearted way, that it was a bit narcissitic. Obviously, if you have just announced you’re marrying yourself, it is plainly a statement of self-love, and I was under no illusion how self-indulgent that might appear.

But I was completely comfortable with my motivations. I’d been on a journey of personal development using meditation, dance and performance to increase my self-awareness. Included in this was a Shakti Tantra programme focused on sexuality and how this was bound up with making agreements with yourself and other people.

Sitting on that park bench, it dawned on me that a self-marriage ceremony witnessed by other people would potentially be this massively powerful means of making those agreements stick.”
Grace was wed by her friend Tiu – a celebrant – who backed her plans and said the deal would set her up for a new phase of life. But Grace suffered a case of the pre-wedding jitters only a month before the big day and had to be convinced she was doing the right thing.

Although the wedding holds no legal ground, Grace is glad she is no longer a ‘single’ lady.
She added:

“It felt like a really big deal saying my vows, which were mostly about me promising to take more risks in matters of the heart. I really don’t see it as any kind of feminist statement, but creating a wedding of this kind on my own terms felt incredibly empowering.”

my sister your case dey court!!
U get flat for hell fire.

Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by pdrefurb: 10:56am On Oct 06, 2014
Marry ur sef or not....the truth is u still need a man someday even if u gay u stil need a partner
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by mexzony: 11:52am On Oct 06, 2014
Madness
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by Geenet: 12:20pm On Oct 06, 2014
Publicity stunt
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by chefdoeuvre: 12:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
shockedshockedshockedshocked... gringrin..
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by Airforce1(m): 12:42pm On Oct 06, 2014
Ladies
rush me now before tis too late
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by mercato: 1:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
A Lot of sick people around grin
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by 24in7: 2:11pm On Oct 06, 2014
,dat means she's now confirm single 4ever cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by chijoy7(f): 3:14pm On Oct 06, 2014
Airforce1:
Ladies
grin
Airforce1:
Ladies

1 Like

Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by reaky(m): 4:24pm On Oct 06, 2014
undecidedtryna make headlines
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by missvera(f): 9:30pm On Oct 06, 2014
mercato:
very very sick. grin
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by Umarbaseet(m): 12:55am On Oct 07, 2014
In Onameaus voice "This is madness".
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by smudge2079(m): 10:50pm On Oct 12, 2014
mercato:
dere can only be one mercato. D great geologist shey, Uniben 2011 set?
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by mercato: 11:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
smudge2079:
dere can only be one mercato. D great geologist shey, Uniben 2011 set?
smudge my real guy grin. Hw far na?
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by smudge2079(m): 3:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
mercato:
smudge my real guy grin. Hw far na?
I dey o broda. aw hustle for B syd?
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by Mprex(f): 4:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
Many are mad but few are roaming undecided

1 Like

Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 13, 2014
Mprex:
Many are mad but few are roaming undecided
Talk of the day.
Remind me to present you with ur award as soon as possible.
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
White people problems
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by Mprex(f): 4:34pm On Oct 13, 2014
chisco82:

Talk of the day.
Remind me to present you with ur award as soon as possible.
lol. Ofcourse, i will grin

1 Like

Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 13, 2014
Mprex:

lol. Ofcourse, i will grin
Alright do plz. Mean while i sent you pm.
Re: Woman Marries Herself After Being Single For 6 Years by kurlz(f): 8:27am On Oct 15, 2014
This is funny, really got of thinking how on earth someone can do this, if its her decision to stay single forever, i bet it can't be easy to be lonely.

(1) (Reply)

Watch New Official Video: Reekado Banks – Standard / Sylvester Madu In Action In These New Photos / Kylie Jenner And Her Big Butt Take A Sexy Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.