Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. (2498 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Kids To Drive Before 15(pics) / Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? / How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Obynobyl(m): 9:40pm On Oct 06, 2014
I noticed that most families in Nigeria tend to send their kids to good schools and their househelps to lower schools. Morally is this right?
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by 3DCYCLOPS: 9:45pm On Oct 06, 2014
Well i don think it is...if you have the money to train your househelp in a good/big schoo..do it.

but only if you take the househelp as one of your own..as some could be very heartless when they grow up that you begin to regret all the money you wasted.
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 06, 2014
I wouldn't employ a child as my house help in the first place.

7 Likes

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Descartes: 9:50pm On Oct 06, 2014
carefreewannabe:
I wouldn't employ a child as my house help in the first place.
Nanny nko?
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by aderonila18: 9:51pm On Oct 06, 2014
I can never employ a child to start with, If I need a maid or nanny I'll employ an adult . I'll rather adopt or foster the child if I want to help and then I have to ensure that as long as the child lives with me he/she gets the same treatment as my biological kids in every area. If I don't have enough money to send the child to the schools my children to to i'll rather the child remains with the parents and I'll be sponsoring her education.
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 06, 2014
Descartes:
Nanny nko?

No way.

A child taking care of my children? This isn't possible.

I can employ a 16-year-old to babysit for a few hours once or twice a week, not more.

1 Like

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by MizMyColi(f): 9:55pm On Oct 06, 2014
I've always wondered why that is.
Especially when the means is there.
Is it borne out of selfishness?
Or out of fear that the househelp might become better than your kids tomorrow?
Or that the house-help might try to rub shoulders with you?

Or are you trying to assert his/her position in the house as a servant?
And your children as sons?

Perhaps, it's as a result of societal conditioning?

After all the God of the bible gave preferential treatment to the Children of Israel and isolated the Gentiles per se

Is it now in order to say that we will send our children to the best schools because they are Children of the promise? - Isrealites
And the house helps go to the retarded/under-performing schools because they're Heathen Gentiles?

#ThoughtProcess

2 Likes

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Descartes: 9:55pm On Oct 06, 2014
carefreewannabe:

No way.

A child taking care of my children? This isn't possible.

I can employ a 16-year-old to babysit for a few hours once or twice a week, not more.
You just nailed the answer here cool
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Obynobyl(m): 10:03pm On Oct 06, 2014
aderonila18:
I can never employ a child to start with, If I need a maid or nanny I'll employ an adult . I'll rather adopt or foster the child if I want to help and then I have to ensure that as long as the child lives with me he/she gets the same treatment as my biological kids in every area. If I don't have enough money to send the child to the schools my children to to i'll rather the child remains with the parents and I'll be sponsoring her education.
i like your disposition. Anyways I think it's quite okay not to have a househelp, mostly their influence in kids who are very impressionably is not just ok.
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by naturally: 10:16pm On Oct 06, 2014
If the parent can't afford it no problem but if they can, that's their choice
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by tuns2s: 10:35pm On Oct 06, 2014
MizMyColi:
I've always wondered why that is.
Especially when the means is there.
Is it borne out of selfishness?
Or out of fear that the househelp might become better than your kids tomorrow?
Or that the house-help might try to rub shoulders with you?

Or are you trying to assert his/her position in the house as a servant?
And your children as sons?

Perhaps, it's as a result of societal conditioning?

After all the God of the bible gave preferential treatment to the Children of Israel and isolated the Gentiles per se

Is it now in order to say that we will send our children to the best schools because they are Children of the promise? - Isrealites
And the house helps go to the retarded/under-performing schools because they're Heathen Gentiles?

#ThoughtProcess

I share your thought...

A very bad ideal of most middle-class nigerians but it is a human element to be bias. Even when you are aware of your action, you may still find yourself having to do it.

1 Like

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by MoyoGENERAL: 11:41pm On Oct 06, 2014
Obynobyl:
I noticed that most families in Nigeria tend to send their kids to good schools and their househelps to lower schools. Morally is this right?
Okay, should they now do the reverse...( send their house helps to good schools and kids to lower schools)...if this happen... you would have asked that "Mentally is this right?"...
btw...why do you think they send househelps to lower school...
here are my reasons,

1. 3rd party stipends : Imagine paying your maid's uncle or mama tope that brought the maid to you monthly stipends...asides, you still give the maid monthly stipends too,, after all these, you go come put am for big school!!!!!
even if you put am for school, you TRY!!! You dey really GENEROUS!!!!!

2. Focus on the house help Job: Imagine an house help going to good schools where there is extra demand for academic work...even at home!!! if I may ask, when will the maid have time to cook, or wash clothes, or iron, or ??....imagine putting a maid in a so call big school getting home by 6pm, does assignments before attending to house chores and leaves for school next day by 7am....wetin we go call that...!!!!!!
....maid don turn CHAIRMAN be that na!!!!

3. Some of the them know next to zero: So putting them in the so call good school is more or less a waste!!! Some will need extra coaching to catch up as some can't even read and write especially Yoruba ones...so ppl kuku put them for one public school near house where dey go dey learn small small.. till they catch up....

4. HOUSEHeLps aren't complaining!!!!!! do you know some nor like book at all....some prefer to learn trade( which some ppl now encourage)..

5.Economic Struggle..shey when men dey hussle send their kids to school na Im..dem go add maid own join...( when dey never build house, buy car, do party)....lol

bottom line...
when you wan get househelp, make una get professional one oooo..the one wey get PhD...to save you the stress...or else
...try send them to school( even if its the lower ones...ones you can afford n convenient for you)))cos they also deserve to be EDUCATED!!!

6 Likes

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 07, 2014
[quote
author=Obynobyl post=26923004]I noticed that most families in Nigeria
tend to send their kids to good schools and their househelps to lower
schools. Morally is this right?[/quote]First thing to know about most naija family is this;they are wicked to other peoples children,especially the women.Na for kitchen house maid dey chop.

1 Like

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by soulglo: 1:25am On Oct 07, 2014
Obynobyl:

It is immoral to use a schoolager as domestic help. It is wrong before God and the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by tpia1: 1:40am On Oct 07, 2014
how e take concern whoever is pokenosing?

would the househelps go to school at all in most cases, if they remained with their parents?

stop acting like nigerians are s.tupid, even if you feel they are, butt out.

2 Likes

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by egopersonified(f): 9:01pm On Oct 07, 2014
Op u just reminded me of a girl I used to see in my son's sch. Her hair always untidy, public sch uniform torn with holes all over, no socks and tattered sandals. But you need to see the fair, fine, neat, chubby, ajebutter boy she used to bring to the private sch. Always wondered why the woman couldnt even make her dress better while taking care of her own son.

2 Likes

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by soulglo: 9:23pm On Oct 07, 2014
egopersonified:
Op u just reminded me of a girl I used to see in my son's sch. Her hair always untidy, public sch uniform torn with holes all over, no socks and tattered sandals. But you need to see the fair, fine, neat, chubby, ajebutter boy she used to bring to the private sch. Always wondered why the woman couldnt even make her dress better while taking care of her own son.

Some parents have balls the size of Texas. You take your most prized possession and entrust it to someone who you treat like sh1t. I mean that should be grounds to commit those parents to a mental institution because obviously something ain't right up there

1 Like

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Obynobyl(m): 10:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
soulglo:

It is immoral to use a schoolager as domestic help. It is wrong before God and the Federal Republic of Nigeria
I really believe that if the spouse cannot treat the domestic househelp like their kids, they shouldn't bother bringing in the househelp in the first place.
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by itstpia1: 11:11pm On Oct 07, 2014
what is owed the househelp is suitable renumeration/compensation.

this requirement is covered in the househelp agreement prior to hiring him or her, and includes schooling, learning a trade, wages, feeding, clothing or any other thing.

many of the househelps are coming from underpriviledged backgrounds, and it takes more than sentiment or "treating them exactly like your kids" to help them overcome that.

if your kids and the househelp did not share the same experiences and environment prior to the latter joining the household, is it right to automatically assume the househelp will have the same outlook or behaviour as your kid, given the same treatment for the both?

You judge the situation by ability, not necessarily a rote mentality.

the househelp may be traumatized prior to joining your family, these are things you need to watch out for and apply whatever type of assistance is needed to help them adjust.

househelp is different from step sibling or step kid.

@ you send your househelp to the same expensive school as your kids, will that prevent the other kids from treating them like a househelp and referring to them as such? Will the househelp also feel comfortable in that environment which they might not even be used to? Unless you are strongly in support of raising them exactly like your kids and are able and willing to go the extra mile to help and support the individuals, then you are not being realistic.

3 Likes

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by itstpia1: 12:39am On Oct 08, 2014
my point is not to treat your househelp wrongly, but rather, nlers should stop judging people unnecessarily just because they are not in the same situation.

some of you folks are too exploitative imo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by soulglo: 4:26am On Oct 08, 2014
itstpia1:
my point is not to treat your househelp wrongly, but rather, nlers should stop judging people unnecessarily just because they are not in the same situation.

some of you folks are too exploitative imo.

Your opinion does not matter in cases like these. You people need to learn to follow the law. The law says it is a crime to use a school ager as domestic help. This is Nigeria is 2015 and not your village in 1702. It is criminal behavior. It is not our personal opinion but the law of the land

2 Likes

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 08, 2014
I think they do this just to draw a line between the appearance,academics and spoken English of their children and maids..
In our present day Nigeria,even a blind man knows a maid from the odour of suffering that oozes out from the rags they wear.....They are discriminated,several of them are not even Nigerians,they are not even given a complete 2 square meals daily..
Now tell me,if a madam cannot afford to buy "bend down select a k a okrika" as cheap as N50,,is it a school fee of N8000 or N25000 that you want her to "waste" on a mere "maid"? You want a "maid" to be known as one of them?

1 Like

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by itstpia1: 4:00pm On Oct 08, 2014
soulglo:

Your opinion does not matter in cases like these. You people need to learn to follow the law. The law says it is a crime to use a school ager as domestic help. This is Nigeria is 2015 and not your village in 1702. It is criminal behavior. It is not our personal opinion but the law of the land

thank you, quote the part of the nigerian constitution that buttresses your point.

waiting.

In addition, differentiate between legal minimum age for househelp and treatment of househelp, seems you are juxtaposing the two.

which one exactly are you fighting over?
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by Praise5: 6:03pm On Oct 08, 2014
I don't have a maid and I'm not thinking of getting one.
My opinion: its better you send that child to a "poor" school and still treat him/her like your fellow human being than not sending the child to school at all.
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by soulglo: 9:46pm On Oct 08, 2014
itstpia1:

thank you, quote the part of the nigerian constitution that buttresses your point.

waiting.

In addition, differentiate between legal minimum age for househelp and treatment of househelp, seems you are juxtaposing the two.

which one exactly are you fighting over?

People like you irritate me. You want me to do the research for you and post it here to prove to you that you should not break the law. That's what you people do when you simply don't wNt to change your bad behavior. The OP talks about a kid going to school and a domestic help who is still at school age brings the child to school. What part of that is so difficult to understand. Are adults considered school age. Furthermore nobody would be silly enough to come post here that an adult should be sent to private primary school because their employers child goes to private school. In your world, the child should feel lucky that they at least get free meals. In my world the fact that the child is living with someone and is being used as domestic help equals maltreatment and in the eyes of the law equals criminal behavior.

1 Like

Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by angeldupe(f): 8:02am On Oct 17, 2014
MoyoGENERAL:

Okay, should they now do the reverse...( send their house helps to good schools and kids to lower schools)...if this happen... you would have asked that "Mentally is this right?"...
here are my reasons,

1. 3rd party stipends : Imagine paying your maid's uncle or mama tope that brought the maid to you monthly stipends...asides, you still give the maid monthly stipends too,, after all these, you go come put am for big school!!!!!

2. Focus on the house help Job: Imagine an house help going to good schools where there is extra demand for academic work...even at home!!! if I may ask, when will the maid have time to cook, or wash clothes, or iron, or ??....imagine putting a maid in a so call big school getting home by 6pm, does assignments before attending to house chores and leaves for school next day by 7am....wetin we go call that...!!!!!!

3. Some of the them know next to zero: So putting them in the so call good school is more or less a waste!!! Some will need extra coaching to catch up as some can't even read and write especially Yoruba ones...so ppl kuku put them for one public school near house where dey go dey learn small small.. till they catch up....

4. HOUSEHeLps aren't complaining!!!!!! do you know some nor like book at all....some prefer to learn trade( which some ppl now encourage)..

5.Economic Struggle..shey when men dey hussle send their kids to school na Im..dem go add maid own join...( when dey never build house, buy car, do party)....lol

bottom line...
when you wan get househelp, make una get professional one oooo..the one wey get PhD...to save you the stress...or else
...try send them to school( even if its the lower ones...ones you can afford n convenient for you)))cos they also deserve to be EDUCATED!!!

Gbam! God bless you.
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by christybabe(f): 4:43pm On Oct 17, 2014
[ quote author=MoyoGENERAL post=26926156]
here are my reasons,

bottom line...

[/quote]

I really think you are right, ur points are reasonable.
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by adebisicutie: 7:14pm On Oct 17, 2014
Stop employing underage kids!
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by LaRoyalHighness(f): 8:42pm On Oct 17, 2014
I don't care how you spend your salary... My own is to pay you monthly, you can save your salary and send yourself to a 'big school'. Its your choice.
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by jayedu108: 8:50pm On Oct 17, 2014
LaRoyalHighness:
I don't care how you spend your salary... My own is to pay you monthly, you can save your salary and send yourself to a 'big school'. Its your choice.
I pity your househelp should incase u have one.
Re: Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. by LaRoyalHighness(f): 8:53pm On Oct 17, 2014
Thats your business.... Did she\he complain to you? Does she\he need your pity?
jayedu108:
I pity your househelp should incase u have one.

(1) (Reply)

Her Dad Is Sleeping With Her! Who Does She Tell? / April Fool Has Ruined My Relationship. Help!!! / Woman Gives Birth To Monster Looking Child In Edo(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.