Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,501 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Archaeologists Discover One Of The Earliest-known Images Of Jesus - - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Archaeologists Discover One Of The Earliest-known Images Of Jesus - (977 Views)

PHOTO: The "Real" Face Of Jesus Uncovered / Pics:archaeologists Discover The City Of Sodom & Gomorrah Matching Old Testament / Red Sea: Archaeologists Discover Remains Of Egyptian Army From The Biblical Exod (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Archaeologists Discover One Of The Earliest-known Images Of Jesus - by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 07, 2014
Archaeologists have uncovered one of the earliest-known images of Jesus in the town of Cástulo in Andalusia, Spain. The image, engraved on a glass plate known as a paten, shows a beardless, short-haired Jesus.

The archaeologists estimate the 8.6-inch paten is from the fourth century C.E., and they suspect it was used to hold Eucharistic bread. The image shows Jesus in a philosopher's toga, along with two other — also beardless — male figures, whom researchers suspect are Peter and Paul, two of Jesus' apostles. All three of the men are depicted with halos. "The scene takes place in the celestial orb, framed between two palm trees, which in Christian iconography represent immortality, the afterlife, and heaven, among other things," the archaeologists said in a statement.

The paten is the earliest depiction that has been found in Spain, Discovery News reports, and it is "in an excellent state of preservation," with 81 percent of its original contents restored. The paten is now on display at the Archaeological Museum of Linares. --Meghan DeMaria

Well from what i have seen in movies,pictures and calendar's it shows Jesus is with beards so now archeologist findings say otherwise abeg my people do you think Jesus is bearded or beardless?

Re: Archaeologists Discover One Of The Earliest-known Images Of Jesus - by Edwinmason(m): 1:50pm On Oct 07, 2014
Ok
Re: Archaeologists Discover One Of The Earliest-known Images Of Jesus - by since2005(f): 1:58pm On Oct 07, 2014
kk
Re: Archaeologists Discover One Of The Earliest-known Images Of Jesus - by HFOG(f): 2:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
What does the picture of Jesus have to do with who Jesus is? Many are into idolatry and aren't even aware

1 Like

Re: Archaeologists Discover One Of The Earliest-known Images Of Jesus - by EvilBrain1(m): 5:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
It says that this image is from the 4th century, i.e. 300 years after new testament times. The 4th century was a period completely darkened by ignorance and superstition. There is no reason to think these people had any clue what Jesus looked like or if he even really existed. I probably know more about the historical Jesus than the person who made this image simply due to my ability to read, my knowledge of the scientific method and my access to centuries worth of archeological and biblical scholarship.

This image may tell us something about what Christians believed in the time and place it was made, but it tells us nothing about Jesus.

Whenever they dig up a Jesus image from 1st century Palestine, then we'll talk.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

HOLY Spirit Our Greatest Need / SERMON JOTTERS: Word Of The Day: Forty Rules For Effective Deliverance {part 5} / There Is No Salvation Outside The Catholic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.