Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,488 members, 7,954,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:41 AM

5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. (1236 Views)

5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students / NEKEDEPOLY, OKOPOLY, ABSU Etc Exploit And Rob Students / World Teachers' Day: Share Your Experiences About Your Teachers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. by missEmjay(f): 1:58pm On Oct 08, 2014
Not all teachers are satisfied with their salaries, so rather than asking for a higher pay, they figure out a way to make extra cash through some of these means:
PRACTICALS
Guess this is where most sciense teachers get lucky. So, my little bro comes home one day asking for a tuber of yam to take to school. He said his intergrated Science Asked all of them in the class to bring a tuber of yam each for 'starch test'. Do the maths yourself. There are over 25 students in his class which equals 25 tubers of yam for one practical. Oh, not to mention this teacher takes JS3a, and JS3b. Show of hands, who doesnt wanna be a Science teacher now. *winks*
PRIVATE LESSONS
This is the biggest way to make money. Most teachers even make more money from organising private lessons than what the school pays them. But of course, conducting private lessons isn't a crime but becomes one when the students attending these private lessons enjoy certain privileges that non-attendants don't enjoy. Privileges like AOCs, "favouritism", etc thereby making the other students opting for private lessons even when they don't really need it. Who wouldnt do anything to make an extra buck?
SALE OF BOOKS
Yea, this is very rampant. Teachers buy the textbooks at discounted price from the publisher, then forces the students to purchase them at a higher price. Reminds me of when my Business Studies teachers wrote a book on Shorthand and forced us all to buy despite the fact that our Business Studies for Junior Secondary School had 3 whole chapters dedicated to shorthand. And of course, no textbook, no test/exam. The books are compulsory, even more than the tuition fees.
FRIVOLOUS FINES
Fines, a good way to take advantage of students. Almost all offences are 'fine-able'. I remember back then, anyone who makes the Noise Makers list pays #20. Same goes for speaking native languages or coming late. Sometimes, the students are promised a NEW waste basket with the money but most times, the cash goes to the teacher's Pocket.
ASKING FOR GIFTS
Well, maybe I attended a secondary school that's located in a village, but I do know that everytime I come from a long break, mostly christmas, I hear teachers subtly telling students not to forget to bring their own share of the goodies. The request is usually subtle or playful but we all know that the girl who always brings teachers stuffs gets preferrential treatment. Don't forget my Ileya meat my muslim pals, else...
Agree with the list?
Re: 5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. by Mutuwa(m): 2:05pm On Oct 08, 2014
Nice one
Re: 5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. by Mention(m): 2:29pm On Oct 08, 2014
You said five na
Re: 5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. by missEmjay(f): 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2014
Share your experiences too, if you have any
Re: 5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. by missEmjay(f): 12:05pm On Oct 13, 2014
Mention:
You said five na
List completed
Re: 5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. by missEmjay(f): 12:06pm On Oct 13, 2014
Mutuwa:
Nice one
Thanks. Experienced one of these before?
Re: 5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. by Mutuwa(m): 8:25pm On Oct 15, 2014
missEmjay:

Thanks. Experienced one of these before?

yess o! private lessons and gift request..and one thing is dt they work consecutively.which was yours?
Re: 5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. by missEmjay(f): 5:21pm On Oct 17, 2014
Mutuwa:

yess o! private lessons and gift request..and one thing is dt they work consecutively.which was yours?
I detest private lesson(to me, its extra burden), and I didn't have much to spend on books and practicals so I usually didn't mind when I was sent of those classes. Moreso, I was a very good girl so my name was hardly in any noise maker list.
Re: 5 Ways Teachers Exploit Students. by Mutuwa(m): 6:50pm On Oct 17, 2014
missEmjay:

I detest private lesson(its extra burden to me), and I didn't have much to spend on books and practicals so I usually didn't mind when I'm sent of those classes. Moreso, I was a very good girl so my name is hardly in any noise maker list.

So tru.was sent out of classes too due to non availability of textbooks esp in literature class. angry
Was a good boy too,but my name de appear with stars self.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Write Post Ume In A School Without Putting It As A Choice? / CBT Questions On "The Last Days At Forcados High Sch" for JAMB 2015 / DAAD Scholarships In Germany For Development-related Postgraduate Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.