Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] (1049 Views)

My 6 Years Old Daughter Surprised And Humbled Me. / Nine Reasons Why Some African Ladies End Up Single For Life / Woman Marries Her Sister's Convicted Killer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] by Snowprince306(m): 8:07am On Oct 09, 2014
Grace Gelder was so fed up with the dating scene
and single life that she decided to become the first
person in Britain to marry herself.
She decided to commit to the most important
person in her life, 'proposed' to herself last
November on a park bench and staged a full
wedding ceremony with 50 guests.
According to her, after being single for six years
she had built up a brilliant relationship with
herself - and creating that bond with someone else
seemed like too much hard work.
Inspired by the Björk song Isobel, which includes
the line, 'My name's Isobel, married to myself', the
Londoner said the lyric struck a chord with her
and it was then she decided to walk solo down the
aisle.
Grace bought a dress, a ring, rehearsed vows and
eventually wed in a farmhouse in rural Devon
watched by her sister and friends -sealing the deal
by planting a kiss on a mirror. Speaking to the
Guardian, she said:
"A few did comment, in a light-hearted way, that it
was a bit narcissitic.
Obviously, if you have just announced you’re
marrying yourself, it is plainly a statement of self-
love, and I was under no illusion how self-
indulgent that might appear. But I was completely
comfortable with my motivations. I’d been on a
journey of personal development using meditation,
dance and performance to increase my self-
awareness. Included in this was a Shakti Tantra
programme focused on sexuality and how this was
bound up with making agreements with yourself
and other people.
Sitting on that park bench, it dawned on me that a
self-marriage ceremony witnessed by other people
would potentially be this massively powerful
means of making those agreements stick."
Grace was wed by her friend Tiu - a celebrant -
who backed her plans and said the deal would set
her up for a new phase of life. But Grace suffered a
case of the pre-wedding jitters only a month before
the big day and had to be convinced she was doing
the right thing.
Although the wedding holds no legal ground,
Grace is glad she is no longer a 'single' lady.
She added:
"It felt like a really big deal saying my vows, which
were mostly about me promising to take more risks
in matters of the heart. I really don’t see it as any
kind of feminist statement, but creating a wedding
of this kind on my own terms felt incredibly
empowering."

Re: Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] by justmag(m): 8:18am On Oct 09, 2014
This is just sadistic! Sooo sad. I give her one year tops! Her ass will be suicidal and jump off a cliff
Re: Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] by ammyluv2002(f): 8:31am On Oct 09, 2014
Smh
Re: Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] by djeezy(m): 8:41am On Oct 09, 2014
This is weird.
Re: Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] by sofunmikamgbo: 8:58am On Oct 09, 2014
Shows how lonely and depressed she feels. Why kiss the mirror? Oyibo shaaa........SMH. She needs a real man! tongue
Re: Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] by Snowprince306(m): 9:18am On Oct 09, 2014
sofunmikamgbo:
Shows how lonely and depressed she feels. Why kiss the mirror? Oyibo shaaa........SMH. She needs a real man! tongue

No be lie, she is really lonely, how on earth human being go dey marry him/her self, y she no come naija self, naija wey no wan use eye see oyinbo woman.
Re: Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 09, 2014
Whats this
Re: Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] by pickabeau1: 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Marriage is so overrated
We need more of this

Although the wedding holds no legal ground, Grace is glad she is no longer a 'single' lady.
She added: "It felt like a really big deal saying my vows, which were mostly about me promising to take more risks in matters of the heart. I really don’t see it as any kind of feminist statement, but creating a wedding of this kind on my own terms felt incredibly empowering."

1 Like

Re: Lonely Woman Marries Herselfafter Being Single For 6 Years[photos] by RoyalRoy(m): 10:43pm On Oct 09, 2014
Madness..... May God heal her soon.... Amen.

(1) (Reply)

Challenges Of A Change Of Name? / Uti Nwachukwu Writes: I Must Marry Or Else!(must Read) / Married Or Not.......you Should Read This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.