Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,660 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

An Exclusive Interview With Award-winning Writer And Poet- Lola Shoneyin - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / An Exclusive Interview With Award-winning Writer And Poet- Lola Shoneyin (595 Views)

Lola Shoneyin Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today! / Wave-making Novel By Award Winning Writer, El Nukoya: Baron Of Broad Street / Continue The (Lola) Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Exclusive Interview With Award-winning Writer And Poet- Lola Shoneyin by ebbymayox(m): 2:56am On Oct 10, 2014
About Author
Lola Shoneyin is a Nigerian award-winning writer and poet , who launched her debut novel, The Secret Lives of Baba Segi’s Wives, in the UK in May 2009. She was born in Ibadan, Nigeria. She’s is currently the director of Book Buzz Foundation, Nigeria- a non-governmental organization whose main aims are promoting literacy through the creation of reading programmes for children, developing reading spaces and organizing the Ake Arts and Book Festival,

Apart from been a poet and author, Lola is married to Ola Soyinka, a medical doctor and the son of Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka

Interview:
Me: What was it like being the only girl growing up in a family of five boys?

Lola: Some of them were not as gentle as they should have been so it was pretty tough. I learnt to defend myself quite quickly and was a mean and vicious fighter at a pretty young age.

Me: Your Book The Secret Lives of Baba Segi’s,,what influenced you writing this book?

Lola: It is based on a true story that took place in Ibadan, Oyo State. Apart from that, both my grandparents were polygamists. I wanted to interrogate that aspect of African culture. I am particular interested in the impact of cultural practices have on women.

Me: Why did you choose the alternate narrative style of writing in your book ‘Baba Segi?

Lola: The first person narrative voice is my comfort zone and I wanted to into the heads of the main characters.

Me: You were a mother of four and also a teacher when you wrote Baba Segi. How do you cope been a mother of four, a teacher and also a writer?

Lola: Structure was the key. I was living in the UK at the time so it was easy to be productive because I was living in an environment where things were predictable. It hasn’t been the same in Nigeria where there are so many things that frustrate creativity.

Me:Judging by the fact that most Nigerians prefer to read motivational writing, what do you think about the Nigerian reading culture?

Lola:With the 62.5% duty being placed on imported reading material, things will get even worse than they already are. Having said this, I am not sure that most Nigerians prefer reading motivational writing. That’s a function of a society where things have broken down and people constantly need their self-belief restored because they can’t explain the reasons for their lack of progress. Nigerians who can, read.

Me:What makes a good story, good?

Lola:An engaging plot, memorable characters. I also enjoy humour and books that hit the ground running. I generally write what I like.

When is your next book coming and what should we expect?

I honestly don’t know. I am very busy planning the Ake Arts and Book Festival.

Advice to young upcoming writers?

Live hard, read hard, write hard.
Read more at
http:///zGEF3z
Re: An Exclusive Interview With Award-winning Writer And Poet- Lola Shoneyin by VickyKSHS: 5:26am On Oct 11, 2014
great article. I've always been enjoying this blog. I got a lot of inspiration to unleash the creativity in me. recently in one of my searches to find something to get creative I found I challenge which I got into with a team. but I need votes to qualify. I believe with your votes I Can win. keep the articles comin. Thanks always.

I am contesting with my team, team Dominus on the P&G CEO Challenge. I need your help. Pls like the P&G Careers Nigeria page (https://www.facebook.com/PGCareersNigeria?fref=ts) then vote for my team by following this link
woobox.com/odgogp/vote/for/4916051

Please vote, and your comments are needed too. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Our Dinning Table Round / Miss Mary Kay / Jonathan For Otuoke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.