Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,249 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

A Typical Nigerian Graduate - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Typical Nigerian Graduate (2942 Views)

The Difficult Stages In The Life Of A Nigerian Graduate / Open Letter To President Muhamadu Buhari By A Nigerian Graduate On Unemployment / Nigerian Graduate Who Shared CVs In UK Subway Now Hiring (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 5:12am On Oct 10, 2014
My respect for an Average Nigerian Graduate is impeccable. Common, give it up to us already wink. We went through a lot to earn that HND, B.Sc, B.Tech and B.Edu. In all sincerity, it was quite a journey.

That said, i still feel Nigerian Graduates need to up their Game, our way of thinking is sometimes cry cry. I have heard graduates say stuffs that i couldn't help but marvel at such public display of tongue tongue

I'm not out to bash anyone, just here to air my view and thought on things i have seen and heard.
So Below is a rundown of What a typical Nigerian Graduate thinks that Sticks grin grin Yeah, i think i got that line right wink

1. The only thing that could be resonsible for a 6 years spell without a Job?
grin grin
You know it already!
Witches, Wizards, Powers and Principalities.

The Solution: 6 months dry fasting, prayer, ministration, and Fire Fighting against the Non Existent Powers grin

You better stop wasting your time and look for jarus cheesy

2. I can't get a good job without NYSC

This one cracks me up all the time when i hear fellow awaiting corpers talk. The sad thing is that majority of graduates fall into this category.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against you going for NYSC (who wouldn't?). All I am saying is that unlike popular belief, your job search starts even before your final exams in school.
Having a CV before time shows your preparedness, nothing more.

The Solution wouldn't be for you to Wait 2-5 months at home before you are Mobilized, spend 1 year in Ukifuwa Village in Taraba. You finish POP and then you officially apply for your 1st JOB! My dear, you are 2 years late angry!

3. What are the Job prospects of so so so and so course? embarassed embarassed Like Seriously

I come across this Question like a thousand times already. It is really sad.
These are the question a Jambite should be asking. I was thinking an Intellectually sound being will know the rudiments of what he is to commit 6-7 years of his/her life to angry angry so sad

But i think i can relate to it... this is actually what happened. I Apply for Medicine but the school offered me Human KiNematics (HKN GANG grin), I finish school and started asking my last born what I just did grin grin

4. That there are no jobs

I must admit this is False True. Truth be told, there are indeed not enough jobs to go round. But when you Carry this mentality on your head like it's Brazilian hair, it will work against you! Be strong, Believe there are jobs (which is indeed true)and better yourself everyday to make you south after by employers

5. I need connection to get a really good job

If you are still thinking the above is true, NEWSFLASH!!! It is nothing but brain draining. The recruitment process of the best of jobs in the county are as free and fair as Obama's 1st Election grin grin ...
It's the truth.

6. That the Internet is either Facebook, Twitter, BBM, 2Go or Whatsapp....
I'm as surprised as you cry cry

And that is the more reason you see them asking Slap deserving questions.

Feel free to add yours. The thread is for all of us to learn and not to necessarily downcast anybody wink wink
Cheers

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by fabraham(m): 5:46am On Oct 10, 2014
Beautiful
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by iyisco2001(m): 6:27am On Oct 10, 2014
You self get brain o. shocked Nice piece, these are some of the problems we have and I think graduate can't think of how to navigate there career and some needs motivation or counseling which is not available, hence, most people take the 25k teaching job. They say start from there. It's good o, but I will also say, its limit yourself. undecided
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by sholay2011(m): 7:00am On Oct 10, 2014
Hmmmm...I smell front page.

Nice one OP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by zeelo2014: 7:05am On Oct 10, 2014
7. waiting for a white collar job.
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 10, 2014
fabraham:
Beautiful

Tank yu grin
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Samneer: 7:52am On Oct 10, 2014
Nice one Op!

I love this mentality

he good die
walahi!
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by mosbiod(m): 7:53am On Oct 10, 2014
Nice one bro @OP just pray some graduates wake up from their slumbers..some don't even invest time on their resume and how to be outstanding with their cover letters...I saw a petroleum engineering graduate's resume recently and I was cry cos he keeps complaining there's no job when his resume is crying..some even shock you by sending only one resume and cover letter to alot of ads and yet they will be lyk I've applied to almost every company yet no job...you haven't applied you just added your wahala to the company's database which will be deleted in no time.. wake up naija graduates, people are still switching jobs wink

1 Like

Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by XtraSmooth404: 8:05am On Oct 10, 2014
Some be like ''I can't accept a job that is less than 250k monthly'' ..lol you go old cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by hapiness44(f): 8:09am On Oct 10, 2014
Number 6 z so true..Graduates learn to fully utilise your smart phones.that aside..as hard as job searching is right now,some people don't even go through any stress and viola! The job is there..#Life Z so unfair..
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by liliangmail(f): 8:26am On Oct 10, 2014
for una mind abi cheesy Mindset is d key....Have a postive mindset abt job hunting.... 25k teaching job nd u are still complning.. Come to d East nd see 7k-10 l teaching job. even wif ur hard earn Bsc.. Smtimes dy prefer NCE to BSC
.... atmost BEd
..... embarassed

1 Like

Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Lero15(m): 8:26am On Oct 10, 2014
Nice one, OP.
But there are witches & wizards o. This is Africa. If you believe in God, you should believe in prayers & fasting too. Just that most times, d problem is not from the witches' tent.
Man-Know-Man is the purest way to get job ASAP. No aptitude test, favourable interview (that's if there wld be one), and straight up, u start work the next week. But no be all of us sabi one senator or one oga.
The reason why job search takes so long is simply the overly LONG (and boring) recruitment process of most firms. Imagine having to wait for a month for a test result...
Fresh graduates shd learn to start from somewhere @ least to kill boredom and get experience; freelance, internships, teaching jobs, vocational skills, apprentice, etc.
Your interviewer may even ask, "So, what have you been doing for months without a job?"
Sometimes you prepare well for tests/interview, but you still get regret mail. It happens. In the words of world's famous, Bill Gates: "Life is not fair, get used to it"
I believe in the Grace of God too
It's well.

3 Likes

Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 10, 2014
OP, you no serious finally. grin grin grin
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 10, 2014
Three7Ty9:
OP, you no serious finally. grin grin grin

I know tongue
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by egopersonified(f): 9:47am On Oct 10, 2014
Build your confidence level. Dont ever think that the higher institution you went to is a disadvantage to you. The contents of your CV gets you your first interview, from there, it is all about what you bring to the table. Never underate yourself, for example, when a job advert states that a masters degree or ICAN would be an added advantage, it doesnt state that if you dont have any of these you shouldnt apply. Dont go thinking there would be others with these qualifications who also studied abroad. It should be all about you and no one else.

2 Likes

Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 10, 2014
Op,you are so on point.

I know someone who's like 4 yrs at home waiting for Oil company's job.

I salute his faith,but at times,more than faith is needed..

High time people,not only graduate purge themselves of always wanting the best,without plans to start from small.

Life won't give you what you want easily,you have to fight for it.
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by fibial: 10:43am On Oct 10, 2014
I fink dy shld develop d sef confidence of personal aproachi employers...no harm...na Yes or No fin n above ofer 2wrk for free 2develop ur wrkin xperiences,cld pay n d lng run....ts nt al abt d money mst tyms
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by brainzdh(m): 11:07am On Oct 10, 2014
Positive mindset is always key...persistence and patience too. Job search is a job on its own sef. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by cc150615(f): 1:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
fibial:
I fink dy shld develop d sef confidence of personal aproachi employers...no harm...na Yes or No fin n above ofer 2wrk for free 2develop ur wrkin xperiences,cld pay n d lng run....ts nt al abt d money mst tyms
I can't get ur point bro.. is it just me?

2 Likes

Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 10, 2014
cc150615:

I can't get ur point bro.. is it just me?

same her bro sad
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by ednut1(m): 2:28pm On Oct 10, 2014
the most annoying thing about Nigerian graduates, u have a smartphone u also have bis, i see u on bbm and whatsapp wella, but u will never see job adverts online, u will then ask how u apply, when u apply, as if na my papa create the free job sites on net, mtcheew
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 10, 2014
ednut1:
the most annoying thing about Nigerian graduates, u have a smartphone u also have bis, i see u on bbm and whatsapp wella, but u will never see job adverts online, u will then ask how u apply, when u apply, as if na my papa create the free job sites on net, mtcheew

I feel your pain bro
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by cc150615(f): 2:33pm On Oct 10, 2014
ednut1:
you're right on point ,some of them their phone even big pass my own.
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by ednut1(m): 3:18pm On Oct 10, 2014
taiwolusol:

I feel your pain bro
baba i dey para, i did accounting and i also see engineering jobs online, i have a friend wit good 2.1 in engineering who jst finished nysc, i do gist him i see lots of engine jobs online, which he will never see, despite giving him sites, he still had d guts to tell me, please anytime u see d jobs copy and send me d links, gush if i had a gun, i wud have shot him, some1 dat has free wifi at home with bis, chai chai
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by funmo(m): 3:44pm On Oct 10, 2014
HMMMM
MOST NIGERIAN GRADUATES ARE JUST STEREOTYPICAL.... JUST SOME ZOMBIES THAT HAVE PASSED THROUGH SCHOOL AND THEN FOLLOW THE STATUS QUO AND THE BUSINESS-AS-USUAL SYNDROME

be different!!!
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by veevean1(f): 5:49pm On Oct 10, 2014
ednut1:

baba i dey para, i did accounting and i also see engineering jobs online, i have a friend wit good 2.1 in engineering who jst finished nysc, i do gist him i see lots of engine jobs online, which he will never see, despite giving him sites, he still had d guts to tell me, please anytime u see d jobs copy and send me d links, gush if i had a gun, i wud have shot him, some1 dat has free wifi at home with bis, chai chai
lol dese days almost all grads hv access to d internet someone as lazy as i am at times i dnt copy links to send just ping nd inform u dt ds coy is recruiting if u cnt look for it OYO. den on my gud days i copy nd send but d issue of job hunt has gone beyond not seeing adverts cos u cn buy guardian nd see adverts. some grads just want a job served to them without having to work for it.
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by davide470(m): 6:41pm On Oct 10, 2014
veevean1:

lol dese days almost all grads hv access to d internet someone as lazy as i am at times i dnt copy links to send just ping nd inform u dt ds coy is recruiting if u cnt look for it OYO. den on my gud days i copy nd send but d issue of job hunt has gone beyond not seeing adverts cos u cn buy guardian nd see adverts. some grads just want a job served to them without having to work for it.
So that was how you pinged me about dt Oando ish 5 mins before they removed it abi undecided
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by veevean1(f): 7:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
davide470:
So that was how you pinged me about dt Oando ish 5 mins before they removed it abi undecided
u had already applied lol tongue
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by crudedude(m): 7:42pm On Oct 10, 2014
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 10, 2014
@taiwolusol & @mosbiod

You guys are very funny, ask me why. . .
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 10, 2014
nairalandist:
@taiwolusol & @mosbiod

You guys are very funny, ask me why. . .

Na because you be #Jonzingtins nau..
Re: A Typical Nigerian Graduate by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 10, 2014
taiwolusol:

Na because you be #Jonzingtins nau..

You are very stupid for that statement cheesy

Lol, u don go look my post! Chaii. . . I fumble o cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guinness Calling For Online Test / Pls What ICS ltd Asking For Their Test And Interview? / Great Jobs You Can Get In Nigeria Without A Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.