Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,144 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? (1531 Views)

I Need Internet Download Manager Serial Number. / Build An Android Instant Messaging App Using Sinch And Parse In 2 Hours / Has Anyone Here Implemented Google Cloud Messaging On Android? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by davidsmith8900: 4:49am On Oct 12, 2014
I understand that 2go and Whatsapp are common and cool but they use internet and require money. However there are other messaging apps that do not use internet to communicate and do not need money. They work by turning each phone into a wifi node or hotspot and although the distance is initially limited to 100 meters for 2 users, as more and more people get on the network, the distance or range it can go, extends and maximises. So why aren't Nigerians (with a huge population and low GDP), taking advantage of this technology?
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by naturally: 4:56am On Oct 12, 2014
Naijarians don't go for cheap things grin
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by shaggy007(m): 5:49am On Oct 12, 2014
Never heard of it till now. That's some cool stuff, that's how the Internet started.

Maybe this might be termed "mobilnet" in future.

3 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by padeolu: 5:55am On Oct 12, 2014
@OP, can you kindly list some of the apps?

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by Michael13(m): 9:38am On Oct 12, 2014
It mean each user must be stationary upto a distance of 200m until more users join the network. This is untypical of a Nigerian.....we want quick quick n sharp sharp something
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 12, 2014
naturally:
Naijarians don't go for cheap things grin
Very true, that is why you find the average poor Nigerian using a tablet or big big blackberry. Even me sef wey dey earn "above minimum wage" wonder sometimes when i see devices of those earning below minimum wage.
So it is true, Nigerians dont go for cheap things at all.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 12, 2014
dhtml18:

Very true, that is why you find the average poor Nigerian using a tablet or big big blackberry. Even me sef wey dey earn "above minimum wage" wonder sometimes when i see devices of those earning below minimum wage.
So it is true, Nigerians dont go for cheap things at all.
hehe!
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 12, 2014
Who be brandnew2 again? Am i missing something or i have been off-board for so long ni?
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by davidsmith8900: 5:46am On Oct 13, 2014
Here is a great example Firechat ~> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opengarden.firechat&hl=en

People in Hong Kong are already using it.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by davidsmith8900: 5:47am On Oct 13, 2014
padeolu:
@OP, can you kindly list some of the apps?

Check it ~> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opengarden.firechat&hl=en

It already has about 1-5 million downloads. People in Hong Kong are already using it.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by davidsmith8900: 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2014
How many people have looked into or downloaded the Firechat app?
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 13, 2014
dhtml18:
Who be brandnew2 again? Am i missing something or i have been off-board for so long ni?
Thank you o! I'm even deactivating this account pronto!
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? by internetpo(m): 12:23pm On Nov 03, 2014
davidsmith8900:
I understand that 2go and Whatsapp are common and cool but they use internet and require money. However there are other messaging apps that do not use internet to communicate and do not need money. They work by turning each phone into a wifi node or hotspot and although the distance is initially limited to 100 meters for 2 users, as more and more people get on the network, the distance or range it can go, extends and maximises. So why aren't Nigerians (with a huge population and low GDP), taking advantage of this technology?

Ignorance of course. I am not aware of such an app infact your post is the first ever I have heard of such. Enlighten us more pls.

(1) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan App Hits Google's Top 100 Free Games--Courtesy NAIRALAND (pic) / Best Material Design Music Player / Best Church Management Software Powered By Microsoft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.