Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,954 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio (1581 Views)

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / Saw A Ford F150 SVT Raptor / Old Number Plates, Driver's Licence Expire Sept 31, Says FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by Gluck4cars: 10:38pm On Oct 12, 2014
[b]Recently a new client narrated to me his experience involving repairs of his ford scorpio car having difficulties starting.
Mechanics and Electricians got to work offering solutions such as:
i) Setting of Timing,
ii) Starter motor (Kick-starter) replacement,
iii) Electrical circuits (fuses, relays) checked,
iv) Sensors (Cam) swap,
v) also ECU changed yet no solution then the technicians announce that the vehicle wires have EXPIRED.

For those who want to ask if vehicle was diagnosed. My client is of the opinion that he believed he was working with technicians who came highly recommended; and on his part he provided everything that was requested of him.

PLEASE RESPOND IN THIS ORDER:
i) Do vehicle wires expire? Or was it a final excuse for their failure, by the technicians handling the job?
ii) If wires expire, how do we ascertain this?
iii) If wires expire, what will be the remedy?
iv) If wires expire, at what stage should this diagnosis be made vis-a vis all the other suggestions that were proffered and Client made to bear the expenses for the failed trials?

Experts in the house your contribution is most welcomed as we strive to revamp the maintenance sector in Nigeria.
NOTE: The story continues. Owner continued with the suggestion of the Expired wire theory. I will post outcome after your comments
[/b]
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by itsmayiela(m): 5:36am On Oct 13, 2014
I would have loved to make my contributions but fear of rebuttal from my lords Siena, CityNG and Ikenna.

After dem comment finish, i go tel u how far
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by Nobody: 6:08am On Oct 13, 2014
Gluck4cars:
[b]Recently a new client narrated to me his experience involving repairs of his ford scorpio car having difficulties starting.
Mechanics and Electricians got to work offering solutions such as:
i) Setting of Timing,
ii) Starter motor (Kick-starter) replacement,
iii) Electrical circuits (fuses, relays) checked,
iv) Sensors (Cam) swap,
v) also ECU changed yet no solution then the technicians announce that the vehicle wires have EXPIRED.

For those who want to ask if vehicle was diagnosed. My client is of the opinion that he believed he was working with technicians who came highly recommended; and on his part he provided everything that was requested of him.

PLEASE RESPOND IN THIS ORDER:
i) Do vehicle wires expire? Or was it a final excuse for their failure, by the technicians handling the job?
ii) If wires expire, how do we ascertain this?
iii) If wires expire, what will be the remedy?
iv) If wires expire, at what stage should this diagnosis be made vis-a vis all the other suggestions that were proffered and Client made to bear the expenses for the failed trials?

Experts in the house your contribution is most welcomed as we strive t������������������e maintenance sector in Nigeria.
NOTE: The story continues. Owner continued with the suggestion of the Expired wire theory. I will post outcome after your comments
[/b]

1) No they don't.

2) No they don't.

3) No they don't.

4) No they don't.

Next.
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by nurey(m): 6:33am On Oct 13, 2014
Come on wires don't expire. Don't you buy electrical wire fittings for home use, they don't have expire date stamped on them.

Wires don't expire but can corrode, get rusted or break that causes their service year to expire. But for such to happen, it is either the wire material used has been subjected to extremes of conditions or the wrong wire is used for the wrong purpose. Chikena
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by jayuuk: 6:38am On Oct 13, 2014
I have been experiencing similar issue, the technician advised i buy the entite electrical wires running from the ECU, fuse boxes to the engine,his assertion being dat it seems most of the wires have burnt inside and thet are touching each other which have been giving the vehicle issues.Vehicle is a 2001 camry, I4 engine,vehicle woundnt start upon ignition, the car radio has no power in it,the door ajar chime comes on when u put on the head lamp with no key in the ignition, its so frustrating, after a couple of trials by few rewires i brought a guy with a scanner,he said the scanner cannot even read or see anything to scan in the car.please great guys come to my rescue.
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 13, 2014
Some cars have issues with some wirings in the engine bay. I have never experienced this myself but I have heard of people replacing wiring harnesses in the engine bay. Apparently they get damaged due to chaffing from improper assembly.

Still that is not expiration.

I have worked on 55 year old cars that had the original wiring still.
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by Gluck4cars: 12:21pm On Oct 13, 2014
Your car wahala is noted. So we don't derail the subject of this thread, I will suggest 2 possible culprits you need to handle after comments on the thread's subject is exhausted. Thanks.

jayuuk:
I have been experiencing similar issue, the technician advised i buy the entite electrical wires running from the ECU, fuse boxes to the engine,his assertion being dat it seems most of the wires have burnt inside and thet are touching each other which have been giving the vehicle issues.Vehicle is a 2001 camry, I4 engine,vehicle woundnt start upon ignition, the car radio has no power in it,the door ajar chime comes on when u put on the head lamp with no key in the ignition, its so frustrating, after a couple of trials by few rewires i brought a guy with a scanner,he said the scanner cannot even read or see anything to scan in the car.please great guys come to my rescue.
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by Gluck4cars: 12:38pm On Oct 13, 2014
Electrical wires used in vehicles are sleeved thus eliminating possibility of damage to wires by corrosion or rusting. You can only notice corrosion/rust at terminals.
However, for the purpose of the subject of this thread, we may consider any damage to car wires that are NOT visible to the eye (eg burns or cut) or result of human mal-handling as EXPIRATION.

nurey:
Come on wires don't expire. Don't you buy electrical wire fittings for home use, they don't have expire date stamped on them.

Wires don't expire but can corrode, get rusted or break that causes their service year to expire. But for such to happen, it is either the wire material used has been subjected to extremes of conditions or the wrong wire is used for the wrong purpose. Chikena
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by sultaan(m): 6:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
First mistake is to let people mess with the car without scanning to know what was actually wrong.
Second was after it is all messed up now you are looking for help online; damage is done.

Depending on what has been damaged,spliced, chaffed, or burnt it will be better to find another wiring harness from a junk yard.I don't even know what they have done with the ground wires but they damaged it and they don't have a clue to what they need to do.
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by Gluck4cars: 9:16pm On Oct 13, 2014
Thanks for your time. But please read the question and respond in the order requested if you which to add value to the discussion here...Do wires "Expire"?
sultaan:
First mistake is to let people mess with the car without scanning to know what was actually wrong.
Second was after it is all messed up now you are looking for help online; damage is done.

Depending on what has been damaged,spliced, chaffed, or burnt it will be better to find another wiring harness from a junk yard.I don't even know what they have done with the ground wires but they damaged it and they don't have a clue to what they need to do.
Re: Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio by Gluck4cars: 3:44pm On Oct 14, 2014
cool Hmmm...

(1) (Reply)

1mzfe Engine For Toyata Highlander / First Body 2004 Nissan Sentra Sport Edition For 400k / 2020 Land Rover Discovery Unveiled (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.