Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,956 members, 7,821,356 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. (2720 Views)

Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill / Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead / Ask Questions/Doubts About Paganism/ATR's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by Keluong(m): 9:56am On Oct 13, 2014
As for me, I am born catholic, baptized with first holy communion and confirmed. But still, I cant get to believe how that bread and wine becomes body and blood. The thing about all these magic and mysterious beliefs is that it just has to fit into your fantacy realm otherwise there will be doubts. Especially with the case of catholic transubstantiation. I am having a hard time comprehending and believing what was previously bread and is still apparently bread becomes body of someone, who is dead or a spirit or immaterial. The magic is not even appealing cos the priests only says a few confusin words in which you are not sure whether it should be taken literarily a directly talking to us or they are simply restating what Jesus told the desciples. Its so confusing and very doubtful.
The second is when I am being told to say one hail mary for someone who is maybe ill or people in disaster. I am like confused that is it when I say the words, that the prayer gets redirected and spiritually rephrased to mean mary help those people?
Really confusing. I know many others here have those doubts, so lets share them

1 Like

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by babestell(f): 10:21am On Oct 13, 2014
If indeed this is a genuine crisis of faith, It is not on nairaland you will get your answers. Go and see your priest or even a student priest and have a series of conversations with the them

3 Likes

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by LewsTherin: 12:27pm On Oct 13, 2014
Sounds like your doubts are deeper than this. Sounds like you're doubting Jesus Himself.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Doubts are what help us find the truth.

This helped me. It can help you. http://www.myreflectionsofgod..com/2013/11/knowing-truth.html
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by urheme: 1:21pm On Oct 13, 2014
Keluong:
As for me, I am born catholic, baptized with first holy communion and confirmed. But still, I cant get to believe how that bread and wine becomes body and blood. The thing about all these magic and mysterious beliefs i that it just has to fit into your fantacy realm otherwise there will be doubts. Especially with the case of catholic transubstantiation. I am having a hard time comprehending and believing what was previously bread and is still apparently bread becomes body of someone, who is dead or a spirit or immaterial. The magic is not even appealing cos the priests only says a few confusin words which in which you re not sure whether it should be taken literarily a directly talking to us or they are simply restating what Jesus told the desciples. Its so confusing and very doubtful.
The second is when I am being told to say one hail mary for someone who is maybe ill or people in disaster. I am like confused that is it when I say the words, that the prayer gets redirected and spiritually rephrased to me to mean mary help those people?

my dear, we are in the same shoe except that my is not a doubt but it rather conflict with my spirit

I cannot eat human flesh and blood and I cannot imagine eating it (is barbaric, disgusting and very offensive) to programme the human brain to think like this is detrimental to the brain, it may likely pose a mental imbalance in some persons.

eating bread and drinking wine is not and will never be regarded as flesh and blood because it is not, be it imaginary, spiritual or otherwise, Jesus in his Devine nature can never ask anybody to eat human flesh, that part of the Bible is off point.

we are not cannibals or are we?

any religion that indoctrinates people to eat human flesh and drink blood even in imaginary term in this modern age must be ban, it imbibes the idea of human sacrifice in the heart of their followers. the tendency of killing a real human for communion is eminent, after all not all communion practitioners are sane.
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by davien(m): 1:33pm On Oct 13, 2014
urheme:

my dear, we are in the same shoe except that my is not a doubt but it rather conflict with my spirit

I cannot eat human flesh and blood and I cannot imagine eating it (is barbaric, disgusting and very offensive) to programme the human brain to think like this is detrimental to the brain, it may likely pose a mental imbalance in some persons.

eating bread and drinking wine is not and will never be regarded as flesh and blood because it is not, be it imaginary, spiritual or otherwise, Jesus in his Devine nature can never ask anybody to eat human flesh, that part of the Bible is off point.

any religion that indoctrinates people to eat human flesh and drink blood even in imaginary term in this modern age must be ban, it imbibes the idea of human sacrifice in the heart of their followers. the tendency of killing a real human for communion is eminent, after all not all communion practitioners are sane.
urheme i'm loving the heretic side of you wink
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by freeradical(m): 1:49pm On Oct 13, 2014
urheme:

Na Jesus talk am ooo no be the Catholic church...."If you do not eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you for my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Your ancestors ate manner in the desert yet they died but if you eat my flesh and drink my body you will have life everlasting". Even the pharisees wanted to lynch Jesus after he said this. You are supposed to be a xtian and believe not a pharisee that doubts.
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by freeradical(m): 2:03pm On Oct 13, 2014
Keluong:
As for me, I am born catholic, baptized with first holy communion and confirmed. But still, I cant get to believe how that bread and wine becomes body and blood. The thing about all these magic and mysterious beliefs i that it just has to fit into your fantacy realm otherwise there will be doubts. Especially with the case of catholic transubstantiation. I am having a hard time comprehending and believing what was previously bread and is still apparently bread becomes body of someone, who is dead or a spirit or immaterial. The magic is not even appealing cos the priests only says a few confusin words which in which you re not sure whether it should be taken literarily a directly talking to us or they are simply restating what Jesus told the desciples. Its so confusing and very doubtful.
The second is when I am being told to say one hail mary for someone who is maybe ill or people in disaster. I am like confused that is it when I say the words, that the prayer gets redirected and spiritually rephrased to me to mean mary help those people?
The holy eucharist as you know is the paschal mystery. It is the one miracle that happens everytime @ mass when the words of consecration are pronounced. If you do not believe in it there is no point receiving it because you will only receive condemnation to yourself. You don't have to understand the mysteries of the kingdom of God for you to believe. That is what Faith is. For those that study the word of God and the knowledge of it brings them to understand it makes their faith even stronger. Christ @ d last supper didn't say this is like my body when he broke bread and gave to his disciples. He said this is my body. Take and eat because it has been given up for you. You can see here that if you do not accept that the bread is the body of christ then it follows that you reject that Christ's sacrifice for you on the cross(which is what he meant by saying the body is given up for us). Everything about the catholic faith centres around the holy eucharist. That's why I said it is the paschal mystery. Everything from the holy mass to the sacraments to the creed leads up to this. That is why as a catholic if you are not receiving holy communion u are @ danger of losing your soul. You cannot receive this eucharist if you are in sin. You need to be in a state of grace and believe in its power to save your soul b4 u can receive it. Anything short of this you would be receiving condemnation on yourself.

Personally my unshaking faith in the catholic doctrine is because of the prescence of the eucharist. No other xtian denomination is that blessed to have this blessed sacrament. Yes, others may have variants which isn't the same as the real thing. So you better wake up and understand what the church teaches before your ignorance will cost you your own salvation. Abi you wan argue with Christ himself? God bless you as you see the truth in this post.

1 Like

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by Keluong(m): 2:05pm On Oct 13, 2014
freeradical:
Na Jesus talk am ooo no be the Catholic church...."If you do not eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you for my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Your ancestors ate manner in the desert yet they died but if you eat my flesh and drink my body you will have life everlasting". Even the pharisees wanted to lynch Jesus after he said this. You are supposed to be a xtian and believe not a pharisee that doubts.
Crazy, I want to know how you believe that. I clearly remember the night before my first holy communion, wondering how the bread and wine tastes, imagine something special. But to my suprise, there is nothing amazing about it. What is strange is how people believe it.

1 Like

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:08pm On Oct 13, 2014
freeradical:

Did His disciples begin to take a pound of flesh and sip His blood while He said this? undecided

1 Like

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by freeradical(m): 2:15pm On Oct 13, 2014
Keluong:

Crazy, I want to know how you believe that. I clearly remember the night before my first holy communion, wondering how the bread and wine tastes, imagine something special. But to my suprise, there is nothing amazing about it. What is strange is how people believe it.
Your case is pretty complex bro. Ok lemme see if I can help you. What do you think Christ did at the last supper? Do you believe that he changed the bread and wine to his body and blood before he offered it to his apostles to eat/drink? Can you state whether the bread and wine tasted 'specially' to the apostles when they ate it? I would advise that you consult your bible thoroughly before responding. Thanks
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by Keluong(m): 2:15pm On Oct 13, 2014
freeradical:
The holy eucharist as you know is the paschal mystery. It is the one miracle that happens everytime @ mass when the words of consecration are pronounced. If you do not believe in it there is no point receiving it because you will only receive condemnation to yourself. You don't have to understand the mysteries of the kingdom of God for you to believe. That is what Faith is. For those that study the word of God and the knowledge of it brings them to understand it makes their faith even stronger. Christ @ d last supper didn't say this is like my body when he broke bread and gave to his disciples. He said this is my body. Take and eat because it has been given up for you. You can see here that if you do not accept that the bread is the body of christ then it follows that you reject that Christ's sacrifice for you on the cross(which is what he meant by saying the body is given up for us). Everything about the catholic faith centres around the holy eucharist. That's why I said it is the paschal mystery. Everything from the holy mass to the sacraments to the creed leads up to this. That is why as a catholic if you are not receiving holy communion u are @ danger of losing your soul. You cannot receive this eucharist if you are in sin. You need to be in a state of grace and believe in its power to save your soul b4 u can receive it. Anything short of this you would be receiving condemnation on yourself.

Personally my unshaking faith in the catholic doctrine is because of the prescence of the eucharist. No other xtian denomination is that blessed to have this blessed sacrament. Yes, others may have variants which isn't the same as the real thing. So you better wake up and understand what the church teaches before your ignorance will cost you your own salvation. Abi you wan argue with Christ himself? God bless you as you see the truth in this post.
What if I came to you with a bottle of coke and a slice of big treat bread give you a phrase like "this is the body and blood of Jesus ..... and some prayers" Then tell you that you are about to drink a spiritual/physical person. How do you feel when drinking the coke and eating the bread? Come to think of it; is the body and blood you are eating physical or spiritual?
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by freeradical(m): 2:16pm On Oct 13, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Did His disciples begin to take a pound of flesh and sip His blood while He said this? undecided
He was speaking about what he will do at the last supper. That was the very first time he gave us his body and commanded that we do this in remembrance of him.
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by freeradical(m): 2:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
Keluong:

What if I came to you with a bottle of coke and a slice of big treat bread give you a phrase like "this is the body and blood of Jesus ..... and some prayers" Then tell you that you are about to drink a spiritual/physical person. How do you feel when drinking the coke and eating the bread? Come to think of it; is the body and blood you are eating physical or spiritual?
The bread that Jesus broke is not you everyday big treat bread but a special kind of bread the jews used for their passover....remember the passover in d book of exodus. Consult that to see how it is made. Definitley I need not tell you the wine is not coke. Thirdly only an ordained catholic priest has the power to effect this paschal mystery because he has been anointed into the order of Melchizedeck of which Christ was. And again when a priest is saying mass he is standing in the person of Christ. Likewise when he does confession. So it doesn't matter if the priest is holy or in sin because it is Christ whose power is at work throught the priest's words.
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by freeradical(m): 2:27pm On Oct 13, 2014
@ OP: The way you sound I doubt you paid any attention in catechism class during your First holy communion. grin grin grin
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by vest(m): 2:40pm On Oct 13, 2014
Apart From The Nices Advics Babestell Gave Let Me Add My 2cent

Firstly Faith Is A Supernatural Gife From God Dat Enable Us To Blive Witout Doubting What Ever God Has Reveal,so U Nid To Pray Ask God To Giv U The Grace Of Faith Nd Faith Comes By Hearing U Also Nid To Discus It With A Riligious e.g Priest,sisters Etc Nd B Open Minded Too.
Secondly It Is Nt A Magic At All,the Bread Nd Wine Turns To The Body & Blood Of Christ I My Self Ve Encountered Chirst Personaly In The Eucharist So It Is Nt A Magic. It Is Nt A Magic Dat God Turn A Staff To Snake It Is Nt A Magic Dat God Turn Water To Wine So It Is Nt A Magic My Dear.
Thirdly God Is Powerful Nd Can Do Al Things..

U Can Also Check The Miracles Of The Eucharist Up By Googling Its
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:04pm On Oct 13, 2014
freeradical:

He was speaking about what he will do at the last supper. That was the very first time he gave us his body and commanded that we do this in remembrance of him.

Are you saying that Jesus was sharing blood at the last supper? shocked

1 Like

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by urheme: 3:12pm On Oct 13, 2014
freeradical:

holy communion is not a criteria for everlasting life, Jesus no ever talk so, dem lie for im head. grin grin
these deluded brain fagged wannabe cannibals and barbarians preserved this barbaric practices in the name of worship and holiness in order to make the roman citizens governable and newage preachers just follow stupidity.
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by urheme: 3:24pm On Oct 13, 2014
freeradical:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
your truth kpa kpa na imaginary one

SALVATION where at thou?
some people want to eat their way into heaven.
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by EvilBrain1(m): 3:47pm On Oct 13, 2014
@OP
It doesn't have to make sense, that's why its magic. Don't you understand how magic works? Let me break it down for you: When the priest prays over the consecrated host, it becomes the body of the lord. Yet it still looks like a biscuit, smells like a biscuit and tastes like a biscuit. If you put it under a microscope, you won't see cells or extra-cellular matrix, all you'll see is magnified biscuit. Yet it is still the lord's flesh because Jesus said so and so did the catholic church. You have to have faith.

Its just like when people go to church for financial breakthrough. The pastor prays over them and they receive their miracle. Yet when they get home, their are still as broke as when they left (minus the tithes, offering and lost earnings from the work they could have been doing while they were spending time in church). Their landlord will still be disturbing them and their children s school fees will still be unpaid. This doesn't mean that their prayers haven't been answered. After all they prayed in Jesus name so they must have received bountifully and are now, in fact, filthy rich. It Just means that Jesus is magic, so when he answers your prayers you cannot use your carnal mind to see, hear or detect the positive change in any way. You have to use your imagination.

Faith is the evidence of things there's no evidence for. Jesus is magic! Remember this and it'll all make sense.

2 Likes

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by urheme: 3:52pm On Oct 13, 2014
davien:
urheme i'm loving the heretic side of you wink

heresy you say...
what part of our lord's body have you been eating lately?

the liver ba?
grin grin grin
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by urheme: 4:00pm On Oct 13, 2014
vest:
Apart From The Nices Advics Babestell Gave Let Me Add My 2cent

Firstly Faith Is A Supernatural Gife From God Dat Enable Us To Blive Witout Doubting What Ever God Has Reveal,so U Nid To Pray Ask God To Giv U The Grace Of Faith Nd Faith Comes By Hearing U Also Nid To Discus It With A Riligious e.g Priest,sisters Etc Nd B Open Minded Too.
Secondly It Is Nt A Magic At All,the Bread Nd Wine Turns To The Body & Blood Of Christ I My Self Ve Encountered Chirst Personaly In The Eucharist So It Is Nt A Magic. It Is Nt A Magic Dat God Turn A Staff To Snake It Is Nt A Magic Dat God Turn Water To Wine So It Is Nt A Magic My Dear.
Thirdly God Is Powerful Nd Can Do Al Things..

U Can Also Check The Miracles Of The Eucharist Up By Googling Its

why google?
why not Bible?
smiley
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by davien(m): 4:10pm On Oct 13, 2014
urheme:

heresy you say...
what part of our lord's body have you been eating lately?

the liver ba?
grin grin grin
lol....how did you know?....liver is my favourite...

1 Like

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by nickz(m): 4:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
Keluong:
As for me, I am born catholic, baptized with first holy communion and confirmed. But still, I cant get to believe how that bread and wine becomes body and blood. The thing about all these magic and mysterious beliefs is that it just has to fit into your fantacy realm otherwise there will be doubts. Especially with the case of catholic transubstantiation. I am having a hard time comprehending and believing what was previously bread and is still apparently bread becomes body of someone, who is dead or a spirit or immaterial. The magic is not even appealing cos the priests only says a few confusin words in which you are not sure whether it should be taken literarily a directly talking to us or they are simply restating what Jesus told the desciples. Its so confusing and very doubtful.
The second is when I am being told to say one hail mary for someone who is maybe ill or people in disaster. I am like confused that is it when I say the words, that the prayer gets redirected and spiritually rephrased to mean mary help those people?
read the Gospel of Thomas

i'm a catholic also...but not a regular
read wide about the catholic church
so it doesn't seem like some priest is brainwashing you
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by freeradical(m): 5:00pm On Oct 13, 2014
urheme:

holy communion is not a criteria for everlasting life, Jesus no ever talk so, dem lie for im head. grin grin
these deluded brain fagged wannabe cannibals and barbarians preserved this barbaric practices in the name of worship and holiness in order to make the roman citizens governable and newage preachers just follow stupidity.
This brother you can lie ooo!!! Should I post the passages from the scriptures before you will agree that Jesus himself said it.
Luke 22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. 15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: 16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. 17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: 18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. 20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.
John 6: 26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled. 27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed. 28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. 30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work? 31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat. 32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. 34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. 36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not. 37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. 38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. 39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. 40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. 41 The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven. 42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven? 43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. 44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. 46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father. 47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. 48 I am that bread of life. 49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. 52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. 58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever. 59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum. 60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? 61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? 62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. 65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. 67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? 68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Those who have ears let them hear

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by vest(m): 5:37pm On Oct 13, 2014
urheme:

why google?
why not Bible?
smiley

I Wil Nt Gv U Any Bible Verse

Rather I Wil Folow The Advics Of A Saint "do Nt Give The Scripture To A Fool If Nt It Wil/Might Lead Even To His Own Distrution"

So Take My Advics Sarch In Google"the Eucharist Miracle"

1 Like

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by SalC: 8:09pm On Oct 13, 2014
Hehehe cheesy
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by Ubenedictus(m): 9:44pm On Oct 13, 2014
Keluong:

for me, transubstantiation has been the simpliest catholic teaching, it doesn't involve mental gymnastics or equations and logic. It is extremely simple.

The gospel of matthew, mark, luke and the epistle to the corithians all record that at the last supper Jesus took bread, gave it to the apostles and said "This is my body", he didn't say "dis looks like my body", he didn't say it is a symbol of my body... He clearly say "this is my body" the very same body that is given up for you.
It continues, it says he also took the chalice, gave thanks and told everyone, "this is my blood", he didn't say diis looks like my blood or dis is a symbol of my blood no! He clearly said "this is my blood the very blood that seals the new covenant (that is d only time Jesus used the word covenant thru out the gospels), the blood that is shed for u and for many, the blood that forgives sins".

This is a very simple case, do you believe in Jesus or not? Because Jesus was pretty clear about it. While d apostle saw/ate what look like bread and what look like wine, Jesus told them that what they were eating and drinking were his body and blood. The simple question is do you believe what Jesus said?

He didn't stop there, he also said "do this in remembrance of me", the word used for remembrance in that passage is "anamesis", thru out scripture the word has a sacrificial character, it is actually interpreted as "make it present". In the same way that every year the isrealite made present the passover meal. They tie their waist with a cord, dress as if they want to travel, kill a lamb...etc, exactly as it was in the real passover in egypt. That means do exactly as i have done...the priest aren't just relating some past event, they are doing "anamesis", they are making it present, they use d same form the same matter and the same words, that is what "do this is anamesis of me" means. No wonder st paul says whenever we celebrate it we are proclaiming the lord's death.

Let me stop here

As i said earlier, for me this is a simple question of faith. Do i believe what Jesus said? Do you believe what Jesus said? Do you believe him when he says the bread is his body and the wine is his blood?

If you don't believe him then i suggest you start thinkin what that means.

2 Likes

Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by alentyno: 10:15pm On Oct 13, 2014
nickz:
read the Gospel of Thomas

i'm a catholic also...but not a regular
read wide about the catholic church
so it doesn't seem like some priest is brainwashing you
OP for your own good don't I repeat don't touch that book!
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by nickz(m): 10:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
alentyno:

is there something in it you don't like
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by Keluong(m): 11:36pm On Oct 13, 2014
EvilBrain1:
@OP
It doesn't have to make sense, that's why its magic. Don't you understand how magic works? Let me break it down for you: When the priest prays over the consecrated host, it becomes the body of the lord. Yet it still looks like a biscuit, smells like a biscuit and tastes like a biscuit. If you put it under a microscope, you won't see cells or extra-cellular matrix, all you'll see is magnified biscuit. Yet it is still the lord's flesh because Jesus said so and so did the catholic church. You have to have faith.

Its just like when people go to church for financial breakthrough. The pastor prays over them and they receive their miracle. Yet when they get home, their are still as broke as when they left (minus the tithes, offering and lost earnings from the work they could have been doing while they were spending time in church). Their landlord will still be disturbing them and their children s school fees will still be unpaid. This doesn't mean that their prayers haven't been answered. After all they prayed in Jesus name so they must have received bountifully and are now, in fact, filthy rich. It Just means that Jesus is magic, so when he answers your prayers you cannot use your carnal mind to see, hear or detect the positive change in any way. You have to use your imagination.

Faith is the evidence of things there's no evidence for. Jesus is magic! Remember this and it'll all make sense.
Hehehe, you said my mind there
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by Keluong(m): 11:36pm On Oct 13, 2014
alentyno:

why?
Re: Doubts About The Catholic Church Docrine. by Ubenedictus(m): 12:40am On Oct 14, 2014
Keluong:

why?

probably because it is a possible forgery.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Apostle Was The First To Use The Blood Of Jesus for battles? / Come In And Bless Nairalanders & Nigeria In The Name Of Whatever You Believe / Homosexuality: No Rational Basis For Malicious Discrimination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.