Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,461 members, 7,954,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:48 AM

Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> (1524 Views)

15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) / 13 Things You Won't Believe You Didn't Know / The Amazing & Interesting Facts About Number 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by Youngsage: 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2014

1. If you can write equally well with, either hand, then you are the one percent!
Even among the small population of ‘multi-handed’ individuals, very few experience equal ease and skill
with both hands. In comparison, around 10% of people are lefties.

2. Right-, left, and mixed-handedness aren’t sufficient to define the preferences of most people, according to experts. Most people experience some level of cross-dominance — favoring one hand for certain tasks, even if it’s the non- dominant one — and among the group of people who use both hands, there are even finer
distinctions. 'Ambidextral' refers to those who can use both hands as well as a right-hander’s right hand (so, really well), and ambisinistral can be used to
describe people who use both hands as well as a right-hander’s left hand (that is, somewhat clumsily).

3. Unlike righties, who show strong left brain dominance, the hemispheres of ambidextrous and left-handed people’s brains are almost symmetric...

4. ... as is the typical brain of a person with synesthesia, or “mixed senses,” who experiences cross-sensory perception.
Among synesthetes, the instance of ambidexterity
(and left-handedness) is much higher than in the general
population.

5. The ambidextrous are more likely to possess the LRRTM1 gene (on chromosome 2), which is linked to schizophrenia. Studies reveal that people with
schizophrenia are significantly more likely to be ambidextrous or left-handed than people who are not schizophrenic.

6. Another study, conducted through the BBC Science website, shows that of the one percent of 255,000 respondents who indicated equal ease writing with both hands, 9.2% of men and 15.6% of women reported
being bisexual.
In the same study, 4% of right-handed and 4.5% of left-handed men, and 6.2% of right-handed and 6.3% of left-handed women said they’re attracted to both sexes.

7. People who identify as ‘either-handed’ score slightly lower overall in general intelligence testing , and most
often those scores are lower in arithmetic, memory and reasoning...

8. ... except when they aren’t. A study of 8000 children ages 7 and 8 shows that the 87 mixed-handed students had more pronounced difficulties in
language skills, and at ages 15 and 16, the same students showed a higher risk of ADHD symptoms and performed academically under both right- and left-handed students from the same sample.

9. Ambis can be quick to anger, according to a study from Merrimack College, which suggests a higher interlinking of brain hemispheres found in ambidextrous and lefties.
A follow-up study found that the increased hemisphere
connections correlate to increased awkwardness, clumsiness and moodiness.

10. But inconsistent-handers can also be easier to sway emotionally.
Montclair State University tested a group of right- left and either-handers for emotional stability. Their findings
report that of the group, righties were hardest to coerce, and ambis were most likely to report a change in mood based on their surroundings, directed thought, and music.

11. It’s not all bad news for the handedness-ambivalent, though. Being able to use both hands with (almost) equal ease can really pay off, especially in
sports, arts and music.

Some reportedly cross-dominant celebrities and historic figures include Leonardo da Vinci, Pete Rose, Richard Feynmen, pitcher Greg A. Harris, Michelle Kwan, Shigeru Miyamoto, Paul McCartney, Benjamin Franklin, Harry Truman, etc.

Source

So over to you Nairalanders, how many ambidextrous people do we have here? cheesy I know some are naturally, while for others it was 'picked up' intentionally at some point lol.
How do you feel being able to write with both hands? Keep the comments rolling!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
These are very scary facts about ambidextrous peeps. I can write with my left but not as gud as my right.
Schitzophrenic? Ah!!
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by sammoe(m): 7:34pm On Oct 13, 2014
Hmm, guys please help me out.
I do the following with equal ease and skill using both hands :

* Slapping people when I'm angry.

* Taking penalty kicks.

* Eating chicken, turkey etc.

* Driving i.e handling steering wheel.

* Carrying my portfolio.

* Brushing my teeth.

* Typing on my phone esp when on NL

.... Am I ambidextrous?
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by daniquaver(m): 7:46pm On Oct 13, 2014
mine is kndf different...i write wit ma right but do oda tings lik throwing stones wit ma left hand
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 13, 2014
What's this?
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by naturally: 8:01pm On Oct 13, 2014
Cool, can use my left hand do some things
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by naturally: 8:03pm On Oct 13, 2014
daniquaver:
mine is kndf different...i write wit ma right but do oda tings lik throwing stones wit ma left hand

Go and register for shotput throwing, it will fetch you more money than throwing stones

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by wunderkiind(m): 9:21pm On Oct 13, 2014
Hmmm... nice one o.p!

I smell front page... grin hehehe

Oya mods do the needful

angry

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by wunderkiind(m): 9:27pm On Oct 13, 2014
MarthaK:
What's this?

It's an expository article about ambidextrous individuals; detailing some interesting facts we all should know, of course in simple English.
embarassed

angry
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by Youngsage: 6:41am On Oct 14, 2014
Interesting comments!
keep them rolling guys
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 14, 2014
wunderkiind:

It's an expository article about ambidextrous individuals; detailing some interesting facts we all should know, of course in simple English.
embarassed

angry
I didn't know na sad
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by wunderkiind(m): 7:42pm On Oct 14, 2014
MarthaK:
I didn't know na sad
Okay dear smiley
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by wunderkiind(m): 7:42pm On Oct 14, 2014
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by mesoade(m): 9:13pm On Oct 14, 2014
I do everything with my write hand but write with my left hand ,i'm i ambidextrous.

And OP,everybody here ain't science studnts,break your medical terms 4 it to b mor comprehensible
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 20, 2014
[quote author=sammoe post=27115589]Hmm, guys please help me out.

ROTFL... are you serious?
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by sammoe(m): 9:54pm On Oct 20, 2014
[quote author=Rommello post=27308925][/quote]
Do you want to...

Please don't make me angry!
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by illicit(m): 6:56pm On Jan 10, 2015
Is this written in english?
Re: Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About The Ambidextrous! >>> by illicit(m): 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2015
sammoe:
Hmm, guys please help me out.

* Taking penalty kicks.

* Eating chicken, turkey etc.

* Driving i.e handling steering wheel.

* Carrying my portfolio.

* Brushing my teeth.

* Typing on my phone esp when on NL

.... Am I ambidextrous?
*funny

(1) (Reply)

What Is This Babe Doing? / Which Nigeria Institution Have The Highest Number Of Beautiful Ladies? / Female Student Turns Into Snake After Fun Nights With Sugar Daddy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.