Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Hologram: Celluon Epic Mobile Projection Keyboard (review) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Hologram: Celluon Epic Mobile Projection Keyboard (review) (1049 Views)

Tips: Turn Your Phone Into A 3D Hologram Projector…awesome! / Mark Zuckerberg's Epic Response To Darlene Loretto, A Facebook User / Soon Hologram Will Present Android Platform On Skin – Cicret Bracelet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hologram: Celluon Epic Mobile Projection Keyboard (review) by ycmdng(m): 9:40pm On Oct 13, 2014
Culled from: http://berryflow.com/2014/10/review-celluon-epic-mobile-projection-keyboard/

At first glance the device doesn’t seem like much, it’s a simple small form-factor with little in the way of complexity.  It’s roughly a quarter of the size of my Z30 device in length/ height but double in width.  The unit comes with a some user manuals and a usb charging cord for the built-in battery.  Overall the box says you should expect 2-3 hours of non-stop usage from the device which will hopefully mean you won’t have to use your charging cable too often.

There are very few moments, in my life, when I fire something up and my mind says “woahdude I’m in the future”, but when I first turned on the Epic projection keyboard I couldn’t help but think back to my childhood days of watching Starwars with my Dad and watching in awe at all the fictional technology they were using, including holographic keyboards.  And while this isn’t quite a holographic keyboard it comes damn close to one.
The device sports a laser projection at the top of the device, a motion sensor and a infrared emitter at the bottom to identify which keys on the keyboard projection layout are being touched.  Tapping on a projected key will make the device beep giving you some nice audio feedback to make-up for the lack of physical feedback by way of a click or clack.
The unit works through Bluetooth HID to connect to your device.  The box says is supports a wide range of operating systems including MacOSX, Windows, Windows Phone, Android, iOS and ofcourse BlackBerry 10!  Connecting the device to your BlackBerry 10 device is the same as almost any other bluetooth peripheral you would connect.  You simply turn on the bluetooth on your device as well as turn on the Epic unit and tap on it when it shows up in your list of nearby bluetooth peripherals.  Because the device uses HID it doesn’t require a passcode to be input, unlike other devices that do require this step.
Once connected you can use the device as either an external keyboard or an external trackpad.  I got to test it for a bit writing emails and BBMs from my hub and found the writing experience to be quite enjoyable.  There were a few occasions where quick typing with both fingers would confuse the motion sensor, but overall I am very impressed with the accuracy and quality of the keyboard input and sensitivity.  I am told that you can also adjust the sensitivity to tailor it to your own preference which could improve the performance even more.  It also performs well as a trackpad and was able to do everything I could do with a regular bluetooth mouse with it, although it is fairly difficult to do a lot of dragging gestures.

The main drawbacks of the product has to be it’s requirement of a flat surface to function.  Everybody has their own preferred place to get work done, and presumably this device would likely be used while at a desk, but I have heard negative impressions of the performance of the device on plane/ train/bus pull-out tables which aren’t necessary flat, but usually a bit slanted which alters the shape of the keyboard on the surface.  As mentioned earlier, advanced trackpad gestures are a bit difficult to do although they do work and aren’t too difficult to do, the accuracy is not nearly as good as the typing experience.  The last drawback I could find was that the price of the product is fairly expensive.  At $150 it does bank on it’s easy portability, easy user-interface and cool factor which doesn’t necessarily make it a rip-off, but it does make one question whether they might not just be better off getting a cheaper bluetooth keyboard to use even though you’d be doing so at the expense of portability.
Overall I’d give the device an 8.5/10.  It’s very useful, especially for those people who often find they’re using their mobile device at their desk to type, the benefit of the projection keyboard is that you can use it for your desktop/ laptop as well as mobile device and not have to worry about moving a clunky keyboard out of the way to work on papers or read a few reports.  Not to mention the great performance and battery life.
Pros:

Accurate typing experience
Portable
Good battery life
Cons:

Advanced trackpad movements are kind of difficult
Requires a flat surface to work best
Fairly expensive at $150

1 Like

Re: Hologram: Celluon Epic Mobile Projection Keyboard (review) by Tenim47(m): 9:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
I wil acept u wit d pix, .
Upload sir
Re: Hologram: Celluon Epic Mobile Projection Keyboard (review) by ycmdng(m): 9:44pm On Oct 13, 2014

Re: Hologram: Celluon Epic Mobile Projection Keyboard (review) by ycmdng(m): 9:45pm On Oct 13, 2014
Tenim47:
I wil acept u wit d pix, .
Upload sir
[/b]DONE[b]

(1) (Reply)

Opinion Pls:which Is Better Between Lumia 520,lumia 630 Dual Sim And Nokia X2. / #bringbackour Original Infinix Hote Note Thread / How to unlock a Tecno p3 locked to Etisalat simcards only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.