Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? (7293 Views)

Startin A Print Media / Print Media In Nigeria / Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by alphabeta(f): 9:35pm On Nov 12, 2008
Folks

I have been doing some feasibility studies on starting/publishing a magazine in Nigeria. Up till now I am unable to find out any information about if any print media license (or if it goes by any other name) is required and if so which body is reponsible for this and what requirements/costs are involved.  A quick magazine related search here on Nairaland didn't give any indication that the people involved had to acquire a license - however I want to go down the appropriate legal route, if one is required I would like to get it at least to assure against any related legal issues in the future.

So nairalanders, please anyone with a good idea on the media license requirements should please contribute helpful information.

I am aware that a license is definitely required for publishing a newspaper. I'm not looking at this but just for a magazine like say an IT, Electronics or Technology related magazine for instance.

Thank you all in anticipation of your helpful contributions.
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by alphabeta(f): 8:01pm On Nov 13, 2008
Anyone with any information on this please ?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by naijacutee(f): 4:19am On Nov 16, 2008
This guy, Chima works for a magazine based in Abuja : themarketingdon@yahoo.com

It might also be useful to join this Nigerian Entrepreneurs group on Facebook - There is plenty of advice there. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=668844347#/group.php?gid=7282245086

(You need to have a Facebook account though)
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by alphabeta(f): 12:26pm On Nov 17, 2008
Thanks for your response. I'll contact the email indicated and the facebook group as well.

I'm still also hopeful that I can get a direct info from a Nairalander here. Someone must sure know about this.
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by lawyer(m): 11:33pm On Nov 17, 2008
Well i havent heard of any special licensing to operate a magazine except for it to be registered under ABC (That is the Audit Bureau of Circulation) and for the magazine to be registered as a company so that it has the powers to operate as one. Mostly the Right to freedom gives ou the right to publish whatever but you must also be prepared for law suits for libelous publications.

Mostly the journalists have a body which you must be under that is the Nigerian Union of Journalists, so you can get more information from them and whatever licensing you might need from the media world, but the bottom line is that it is a company that must be registered first which gives you the right to publish those Magazines or Publications for public consumption.

Cheers!
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by alphabeta(f): 10:54am On Nov 18, 2008
Thanks lawyer. I'll see what I can dig up in the direction of NUJ. From what I've gathered so far the activities of the Nigerian chapter of ABC is practically moribund and membership is optional rather than obligatory.

However as you have stated I'm beginning and more inclined to think that there are no other requirements apart from that of being a regisrered company with the scope of business declared in the M and A of Association covering intention to produce related publications.

Thanks for the direction provided.
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by lender(m): 6:16pm On Dec 09, 2008
In addition to what lawyer has said the national library of Nigeria is also saddled with the reponsibility of registering each magazine. That is they will assign ISSN to your magazine. This can only be done after your first publication which about three copies will be taken to them .
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by Dreamjob(m): 10:14am On Dec 11, 2008
I think the last contributor has spoken my mind, national library registration is key in the business of magazine publication and ofcourse a registered business name not necessarily incorporating it.
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by akinalabi(m): 9:16pm On Jun 28, 2009
Go to the national library at Hubert Macauley way, Yaba Lagos and
have a name check to avoid title duplication. That will take them about
2 weeks.

Once the name is available, you can then print the first issue. You will
then take 4 copies of you publication to them, with a ISSN application
letter with a copy of your company registration.

It will cost you less than N10,000
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by Krrush(m): 10:05pm On Jul 01, 2009
alphabeta:

Folks

I have been doing some feasibility studies on starting/publishing a magazine in Nigeria. Up till now I am unable to find out any information about if any print media license (or if it goes by any other name) is required and if so which body is reponsible for this and what requirements/costs are involved.  A quick magazine related search here on Nairaland didn't give any indication that the people involved had to acquire a license - however I want to go down the appropriate legal route, if one is required I would like to get it at least to assure against any related legal issues in the future.

So nairalanders, please anyone with a good idea on the media license requirements should please contribute helpful information.

I am aware that a license is definitely required for publishing a newspaper. I'm not looking at this but just for a magazine like say an IT, Electronics or Technology related magazine for instance.

Thank you all in anticipation of your helpful contributions.

Kudos on your mag plan, alphabeta. You've done some feasibility studies. I'm a mag publisher myself, of about 6 months running, and I'm facing serious challenges in terms of making profitable returns.

What have you been able to come up with from your feasibility studies, in terms of how revenue will come back to you? Is from the sales? Adverts?

Right now, it appears I am simply making money for my printer grin

1 Like

Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by ikeGod2: 8:08pm On May 20, 2010
@ Poster: I have as well been looking at that line of business and My researches have been indeed helpful. Now Let me outline these: 1. You need a name for your magazine and that name must be exclusive to your publication. 2. your publication must havea targeted audience and the content of your publication must be conspicuous on the name of the mag. 3. you will either go for a business name with CAC (corporate Affairs commission) and then publish as you mag as a publication of that business name and that will cover every other processes that may be consequence to that deal. 4. You need to have a current account in either the business name or the mag name if they are different, but most advisable is in the business name so that you will be able to make available all the bank wants. I have been going through these processes and for more info reach me here: deinfoworld@gmail.com

Now talking about how to make money, you need to be very sensitive to your aduience and how to build it. The more copies you sell, the more money you make. The more areas you cover, the larger your audience.

I have deviced a means that anybody that comes across the map MUST buy my mag when it starts running and of course you will not regret it cos of the content.

Contact me for consultation and you will see something different. You must lay down good plans before starting if not you will fail but God forbid.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by disc20: 10:21pm On Sep 08, 2014
I have found a step-by-guide on how to start a magazine business in Nigeria here http://www.topnigeria.com/2013/10/how-to-start-magazine-publishing.html , the article went ahead to even discus the advertisement and marketing plans to ensure success. Simply take a look and I bet you'll like it.
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by FKMagazine(m): 10:46pm On Sep 08, 2014
Involve me in the magazine business

1 Like

Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by emeths: 6:29pm On Sep 14, 2014
following
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by joyjoomla(m): 1:59pm On Dec 31, 2014
akinalabi:
2 weeks.

Please what are other requirements, like expertise or professional requirement , legal e.t.c
Wl be glad to here from you. Thanks for d help already provided
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by joyjoomla(m): 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2014
akinalabi:
2 weeks.

Please what are other requirements, like expertise or professional requirement , legal e.t.c
And please must the company name be thesame as the magazine name? For exmple my company name is Abuk Investments and I intend my magazine name to be JULLYMag
Wl be glad to here from you. Thanks for d help already provided.
Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by joyjoomla(m): 2:28pm On Dec 31, 2014
ikeGod2:
@ Poster: I have as well been looking at that line of business and My researches have been indeed helpful. Now Let me outline these: 1. You need a name for your magazine and that name must be exclusive to your publication. 2. your publication must havea targeted audience and the content of your publication must be conspicuous on the name of the mag. 3. you will either go for a business name with CAC (corporate Affairs commission) and then publish as you mag as a publication of that business name and that will cover every other processes that may be consequence to that deal. 4. You need to have a current account in either the business name or the mag name if they are different, but most advisable is in the business name so that you will be able to make available all the bank wants. I have been going through these processes and for more info reach me here: deinfoworld@gmail.com

Now talking about how to make money, you need to be very sensitive to your aduience and how to build it. The more copies you sell, the more money you make. The more areas you cover, the larger your audience.

I have deviced a means that anybody that comes across the map MUST buy my mag when it starts running and of course you will not regret it cos of the content.

Contact me for consultation and you will see something different. You must lay down good plans before starting if not you will fail but God forbid.

How to deal with the editorial issue, who is your editior?
And please must the company name be thesame as the magazine name? For exmple my company name is Abuk Investments and I intend my magazine name to be JULLYMag
Wl be glad to here from you. Thanks for d help already provided.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Magazine - Is Print Media License Required ??? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jun 01, 2016
ikeGod2:

I sent you a PM!

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Info! Distributorship For Nestle or P&G Nigeria Products. / 7 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Starting An Online Business In Nigeria / MTN IPO To Be Executed In Two Phases Amid Row With FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.